• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on My Jacket Sleeve Length (w/ Photos)

Gent Esq

Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster. Love this forum - lots of great information here.

I've read all of the sleeve length threads here and elsewhere, but I would appreciate opinions of this suit jacket sleeve length on me based on the photos below. My sense is that the sleeve is a bit long - maybe only 1/8 to 1/4 inch. This is a MTM suit and shirt that I've purchased locally. We initially did one suit and shirt, have tweaked measurements, and I've just placed an order for several more suits, sport coats and shirts. We did not change the sleeve length measurement, and now I'm thinking maybe I should shorten it a bit.

I know that the shirt sleeve length is a bit long, and I've shortened it 1/8 inch for my next order. (The overall body length is too long and has been reduced for the next order). (I also know the jacket sleeve opening is too wide and has been reduced 1/2 inch for my next order).

With apologies for not wearing the matching suit pants or tucking in my shirt, the pics both with and without a shirt are below. Based on this, is the jacket sleeve length too long or about right? I want to show approx. a half-inch of shirt cuff as the finished look. Taking off 1/8 inch from the shirt and leaving the jacket sleeve where it is would have me right in that territory, so perhaps I should leave the jacket sleeves where they are?

Thanks in advance for taking time to help.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks fine to me, but an eighth of an inch on the shirt sleeves is fine (though it'll kill your shrinkage allowance). An eight of an inch on the coat is fine, but a quarter could be too much, dig?

I think the body length on the coat is fine, and would advise not messing with it. Sure, shorter has been very trendy for a long time, but it's not 2014 anymore.

Do you have a low left shoulder? Seems like the length isn't quite even from side to side.

Gent Esq

Reaction score
Looks fine to me, but an eighth of an inch on the shirt sleeves is fine (though it'll kill your shrinkage allowance). An eight of an inch on the coat is fine, but a quarter could be too much, dig?

I think the body length on the coat is fine, and would advise not messing with it. Sure, shorter has been very trendy for a long time, but it's not 2014 anymore.

Do you have a low left shoulder? Seems like the length isn't quite even from side to side.

YRR92,

Thanks for the quick response!

The shirt has been laundered 3 times, so I feel pretty good about the shrinkage allowance, though it will continue to shrink a little.

I was going for a classic, not trendy body length for the coat, and I'm happy where it is.

We noticed the uneven length side to side and are adjusting for it on the next order. We altered the sleeve length on this jacket to try to correct that, but may not have quite done enough.

If I'm within an eighth of an inch, and what I have looks good, I may not ask for any measurements to be changed for my next garments. To be honest, we are tweaking enough measurements that we probably just need to see where the sleeves are hitting once the jackets and sport coats are made and are on me.

Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads