• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on buying linen suit in Toronto

erebakish

Reaction score
Hi everyone, first time posting here.

Kind of wish I asked on here a lot earlier, but I've been suit shopping on and off for the past month or so for my engagement party in 2 and a half months. Budget is approx $500 CAD. Looked at Suitsupply, Spier and Mackay, Indochino, J Crew, etc. For whatever reason I've really been wanting an off-white/light beige/tan suit for the longest time and figured I'd try to get one for this occasion.

Suitsupply had a really nice Napoli in my budget but the only thing that deterred me from buying it was that it was already VERY wrinkled when I tried it on (entire arm from top to bottom, almost entire pant leg). I'm sure several people must've tried it on before me but wearing a suit like that for an entire afternoon+evening made it seem like it could get a bit beat up and too wrinkly for my liking.

Since then, aside from trying on other types of suits, I've looked online to see if the colour suit I was interested in was available in any other material less prone to wrinkling. I'm still pretty much a newbie at this so I guess I was somewhat surprised that everything in this colour is pure linen. I found only one suit that has a wool/linen blend which I hope will prevent wrinkling:

https://blacklapel.com/shop/suits/khaki-linen-blend-custom-suit

The only problem is that it's online MTM and I can't really go to NY to get myself measured anytime soon (don't trust myself to do it at all). Plus conversion to CAD+taxes and brokerage fees would make it prohibitively expensive. Not to mention that I don't have much time left from now until the big day to wait for it to arrive.

So for anyone still reading (lol) I have come to you for help looking for anything comparable to that suit I posted above, in colour and material, but obtainable in Toronto hopefully off the rack. Only thing remotely comparable was this at Banana Republic:

http://bananarepublic.gapcanada.ca/...cket-P582144&sdReferer=https://www.google.ca/

I've never bought anything from them before so I'm not sure how the quality is, nor how a cotton-linen blend would look and feel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ThomGault

Reaction score
Any linen suit will wrinkle badly. I wouldn't even choose a blend if I were the groom; stick to 100% worsted wool. It's your wedding, so choose the color you want, but I personally wouldn't pick that color. If you want a lighter suit, maybe a medium-light grey?

I don't know own what stores you have in Toronto, but chains like Brooks Brothers, or department stores like Nordstrom, are presumably available. I'd avoid the retailers you mentioned.

erebakish

Reaction score
Any linen suit will wrinkle badly. I wouldn't even choose a blend if I were the groom; stick to 100% worsted wool. It's your wedding, so choose the color you want, but I personally wouldn't pick that color. If you want a lighter suit, maybe a medium-light grey?

I don't know own what stores you have in Toronto, but chains like Brooks Brothers, or department stores like Nordstrom, are presumably available. I'd avoid the retailers you mentioned.

Thanks for the advice. I'm looking at options in wool too. I found a nice bright blue at spier and mackay in my budget range a couple weeks ago, but when I returned today they only had it in a contemporary fit unfortunately. I'm kicking myself for not jumping on the slim fit when it was available earlier. I can get the waist taken in a bit on the contemporary but i think the length of the jacket is a bit longer, and I don't think they can do alterations to the thigh or knee area on the pants.

Anyone know anywhere else I can get a bright blue suit in the $500 CAD range?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AsleyJaron