• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice Needed: Groomsman asked to wear black suit at best friend's wedding

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suck it up and buy a black suit.

"Look good, feel good, play good, get paid good" is fine but DBAA is as important – and that suggests you pick up a black suit.

Of course, you can (and I would) spend a lot less than usual.

Last edited:

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have two choices: (1) buy a black suit, or (2) drop out of the wedding party. If you go with choice (1), buy a cheap suit that still looks presentable. Think H&M.

MeachamLake

Reaction score
Seriously, just suck it up and buy a black suit. You'll need one eventually for a funeral anyway.

We all love to talk about how 'gentlemanly' and sophisticated we are on these forums, but having a snobbish attitude to something like this couldn't be any further from that. I suggest you do the right thing; show some respect to your best friend on his wedding day and wear what he wants you to wear.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Either wear the black suit, because your desire to stand up for your best friend outweighs your distaste for black suits, or politely decline the invitation to be a groomsman. (You may want to think up some plausible excuse for declining, beyond "I won't wear a black suit." Since as a practical matter you'll likely be asked why you're declining the invitation, and most people won't accept distaste of black suits to be a good enough reason.)

Of course, over the years countless women have put up with wearing hideous bridesmaids' dresses. I don't see how what you're being asked to wear is any worse than some of the things I've seen bridesmaids wear.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seriously, just suck it up and buy a black suit. You'll need one eventually for a funeral anyway.

I've never worn a black suit to a funeral, and I probably never will. Charcoal typically serves me perfectly well.

This is in the United States, however. Here, there is no generally accepted rule that black is the only correct suit color when attending a funeral. Perhaps you're somewhere where men are expected to wear black to funerals. Or belong to some cultural group where this is the norm.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
I don't think it's as terrible a decision as some here make out.

If you get a peak-lapelled black suit in a fabric with some sheen, you can wear it in the evening as a substitute for black tie. You can also wear the coat as a stroller during the day. Try a black sharkskin.

Or get a peak-lapelled suit in midnight blue with some sheen. It's also a good substitute for a tuxedo, and most people won't notice the difference between midnight blue and black anyway. If the groom complains, just tell him it was the best you could do.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had in mind something more like:

or

As a worshiper of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, I'd appreciate it if attendees at my funeral dress as pirates, but I'm not adamant about that. His Noodly Goodness does not dictate what clothes a man need wear in order to be admitted to paradise, with its beer volcano and stripper factory.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads