• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice needed: dress for wedding while wardrobe building?

whiskeybeard

Reaction score
Hello - I'd like to ask for advice on what I should wear to my sister's wedding, which will be daytime/outdoors in August.

I'm sorry to start a new thread on this fairly well-worn topic, but after poring over old threads I find myself as unsure as ever. I did try asking a couple particulars on the quick-question thread, but since I didn't get very much response, and because I'd like input on the outfit as a whole, I thought this was the best way.

Background: I'm a grad student and have never owned much in the way of dress clothes, aside from one suit (navy pinstripe) and accoutrements that I bought for job interviews after college, so I'm pretty much starting from square one.

Since I don't often have the opportunity or money to buy dress clothes, I wanted to get something that will be appropriate for this occasion, but also wearable for other (semi-)dressy non-business occasions, especially weddings, of which I'm sure there will be plenty in coming years (hence, not something idiosyncratic like a tan linen suit.) With these criteria in mind I thought it would be best to get a solid, light-to-mid-gray suit.

One option I came up with was this Brooks Brothers Black Fleece gabardine, which looks good and appears to be reasonably priced on sale (correct me if I'm wrong.) However, I'm not sure what the deal with gabardine is. Is it considered heavy, or light? What sorts of occasions and weather is it appropriate for? (The wedding is in August, but in Minnesota, so it may be fairly hot, but hopefully not boiling.) Another question is what size would be best, since I couldn't try it on locally. I normally wear a 40 suit which equates to BB02, but at 16 dress shirt, which equates to BB03.

In the end I'm still on the fence about the suit, so any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

As for shirt and tie: since I'm going with a plain suit, and since the wedding won't be terribly formal, I thought I'd go for some pattern and texture. I was considering this BBBF tattersall shirt paired with a navy grenadine tie, perhaps from J Press. Does that combo seem alright, with a gray suit? The shirt I like a lot, but I wonder if oxford cloth will be too heavy for the weather. Should I try to find a poplin shirt instead?

Since I don't own any brown dress shoes I wanted to get something staple, and again not too formal. I was able to find the Allen Edmond's strand in walnut on sale in my size, along with the matching belt. Do people think these pieces would be suitable in themselves, and workable with the above? (I realize there is some divided opinion on AE but I have worn them before, so I know my size and have found them pretty comfortable; moreover, as a grad student I'm hardly made of money..)

Alright, sorry for the lengthy post! (To think, I didn't even get to the finer points of the solemn socks/underwear decision
cry.gif
.) Needless to say, any/all input will be appreciated.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The BB gab seems a bit too trendy for wardrobe building, IMO. I would go for a classic fit in a tan suit for spring or summer, lightweight grey or navy wool for year round wear.

whiskeybeard

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Is the 'trendy' aspect due to the fact that it's gabardine, or that it's darted? I'm a fairly trim guy, so I thought the darted jacket might be flattering, but that was just a guess.

Any particular suggestions for classic fit lightweight gray suits would be very much appreciated. (I was somewhat set on gray, since that seems more all-purpose, hence more important to acquire than tan, but I'm open to other opinions.)

DoTheGrownup

Reaction score
All I can think of when I see that suit is this:
peeWeeHerman.jpg
I tried on a BB Fitzgerald Suit recently and it has a modern fit without being quite so short. And yes, it can be very hot in Minnesota in August. While it might be 65F, it could just as easily be 95F.

viator

Reaction score
I'm not sure I would wear that shirt to a wedding because it has a button down collar and also because the pattern is fairly casual. If you are building your wardrobe, it's probably best to stick with solid white or a light blue shirt with a non-button down collar.

whiskeybeard

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm starting to agree with the consensus on the suit -- probably too short. The 1818 looks like a more reasonable fit, but the gray is a shade or two darker than what I was going for.

I also share some of the misgivings about the shirt, although again the wedding will not be very formal (I could get away without a suit, I'm sure, but decided to go that route because I'll appear in the ceremony, and because I had wanted to buy one anyway.) As for the button down collar -- is that a problem because too casual, or for some other reason?

Further suggestions appreciated!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads