• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adventures in sobriety

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Going to cut back on the spirits and might even cut back on the wine. I've just been enjoying the whisky a bit too much lately and need to moderate before I start putting pounds back on. Of course, when you get a few glasses of wine and a pint or more of whisky into you, you start to get the munchies. This is bad as I've been raiding the wife's stash of salty carb snacks which I can resist without all the whisky on board.

I'm not worried that I'm an alcoholic or the like as I've known too many real alcoholics to confuse the issue. However, I do need to cut things back for my waistline.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by socialdtk
I refused to blow into the mini breathalyser opting to use the more accurate machine back at the station. The officer sat me in the holding room and disappeared for 30 minutes. When he returned he said the time in which I had to take the test had expired. At this point he charged me with a DUI and refusal to submit chemical analysis. If I'm found guilty I lose my license for 2 years, pay an 800 dollar fine, and have to sign up for an alcohol assessment class. I'll also be known from that point on as the irresponsible drunk asshole that rides his Vespa to work.

I've got a DUI on my record, you're going to need a lawyer whether you want to plead your case or not, seriously.

But, and IANAL and this is not legal advice, I'd talk to a good one if I were you. What state are you in? Are you under 21?

socialdtk

Reaction score
I'm 21 and living in North Carolina. I plan on beating the charge if possible but it doesn’t seem likely that I will. The lawyers I've talked to so far have said I have between a 10% and 40% chance of winning. That makes the $2000+ fee for fighting the case not very appealing.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why wouldn't you just take the breathalyzer on the scene? Two beers in four hours is a sure shot wouldn't you think?

socialdtk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gort
Why wouldn't you just take the breathalyzer on the scene? Two beers in four hours is a sure shot wouldn't you think?

Because I've always heard that the results can be schewed by up to .07% if the last beverage you've consumed was within the hour and you haven't had anything else to eat or drink in that time.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Man, poor choice. Easier to fight a test, under the guise the readings were spurious, than just get nabbed for refusal.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Going to cut back on the spirits and might even cut back on the wine. I've just been enjoying the whisky a bit too much lately and need to moderate before I start putting pounds back on. Of course, when you get a few glasses of wine and a pint or more of whisky into you, you start to get the munchies. This is bad as I've been raiding the wife's stash of salty carb snacks which I can resist without all the whisky on board.

I'm not worried that I'm an alcoholic or the like as I've known too many real alcoholics to confuse the issue. However, I do need to cut things back for my waistline.

We have many things in common, Pio. I could have written that myself...word for word. Interestingly, I also am Canuckistani, have a tattoo on my leg and have a fondness for early 90's Canadian rock
fing02[1].gif

As for my sobriety...I took a hard fall off the wagon. Went out with an old business contact that I haven't seen for a few months to one of my favorite restaurants. Half a bottle of wine, a glass of port (1980 single year vintage...was truly lovely) and then a gin-based cocktail.

OK...back on the wagon for the rest of the month.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've felt stressed out recently and using alcohol as an excuse to soften those feelings - which meant I was drinking for the sole purpose of getting tipsy or drunk. That seems to me like an early sign of alcoholism and that's a really scary thought. I'm not giving up alcohol completely, but will likely just stick to wine and beer and do so in much greater moderation.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
I also am Canuckistani, have a tattoo on my leg and have a fondness for early 90's Canadian rock
fing02[1].gif

Could you get more awesome? No, you could not!

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

pblasco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
I've felt stressed out recently and using alcohol as an excuse to soften those feelings - which meant I was drinking for the sole purpose of getting tipsy or drunk. That seems to me like an early sign of alcoholism and that's a really scary thought. I'm not giving up alcohol completely, but will likely just stick to wine and beer and do so in much greater moderation.

That's exactly how I've been feeling. A bunch of issues have been coming up, so that when I get home from work the craving for a beer to take the edge off kicks in. I've been drinking 3-5 beers at least three nights a week.

I'm going to jump on the sobriety train, except for a few social gathering in the next month or so, just to cut back on that craving.

I gave up drinking for lent last year (not religious, but it seemed like a good time to do it), and it felt pretty damn good. Maybe I'll do that again this year.

tjc4golf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by socialdtk
I'm 21 and living in North Carolina. I plan on beating the charge if possible but it doesn't seem likely that I will. The lawyers I've talked to so far have said I have between a 10% and 40% chance of winning. That makes the $2000+ fee for fighting the case not very appealing.

I'd get a lawyer. It's not a win / not win scenario. There are other possible outcomes (e.g. pleading to a lesser charge such as reckless driving).

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman

not really an early sign, just signals that "ur doin it wrong". Cut back, and focus on the taste of the drink again instead of the alcohol intake.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Man, poor choice. Easier to fight a test, under the guise the readings were spurious, than just get nabbed for refusal.
Well - if you are sure you are drunk, why take the test? You might get lucky and sober up by the time you get the blood test.... or get the same DUI you would have gotten w/ a little bit of extra attitude on top. Of course the smart choice is not to get behind the wheel in the first place.

sincerity

Reaction score
i've been thinking about doing this for a month or so....as I get older, im 28 btw, I am starting to understand the mental effects that alcohol has on me. it increases anxiety ten fold if I have too much...the next day will be miserable from physical and mental pain. It's a strange thing that has happened ever since I can remember, although I never really put 2 and 2 togethr until a few years back. I lament about actions the night before, even though I didn't do anything wrong, make mountains out of mole hillls about the smallest things...it's actually laughable when I'm not in that state of mind, but terrifying while there.... i do enjoy the booze though
inlove.gif
, but I have certainly learned to respect it and its effects more and more as I grow older.

blackjack

Reaction score
This was pretty interesting especially the matching ratios of teetotalers, moderate and heavy drinkers within human and monkey populations.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads