• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A.P.C. The official thread for APC denim sizing and other questions.

nicotenesilverscreen

Reaction score
anyone know where I can find the summer09 apc denim jacket online- aside from buying directly from APC? Just tryin to compare, and there out of my size in NYC. I'm in love with her.

DECEMBER

Reaction score
So, i found an APC store nearby and the salesman told me that I should wear the new standards for a week before having them re-hemmed.

okay.. but I forgot to ask why? And won't I look ridiculous walking around in really long jeans?

Also, I'm a size 30 in waist, does that mean that I should buy the 28 tagged size?
I remember trying on the 28 and it was very tight to the point where I couldn't squat all the way down, but I could buckle it up. This is normal?

oshen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DECEMBER
So, i found an APC store nearby and the salesman told me that I should wear the new standards for a week before having them re-hemmed.

okay.. but I forgot to ask why? And won't I look ridiculous walking around in really long jeans?

Also, I'm a size 30 in waist, does that mean that I should buy the 28 tagged size?
I remember trying on the 28 and it was very tight to the point where I couldn't squat all the way down, but I could buckle it up. This is normal?

Not sure about the advice on hemming after a week but the 28 sounds like it'll be a good fit for you. You'll be amazed at how fast and how much the APC NS will stretch.

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The advice about hemming is because you'll lose a little bit of length as the creases behind the knee and such set from wear. If you hem them to the "right" length immediately, you might find them a little too short once this happens.

As for the tightness, if you can button them up, they'll be fine; APCs stretch like none other. Many people even buy them not being able to button them up all the way at first, in fact.

dopamine

Reaction score
I just recently purchased a pair of APC Petit Standards, and after less than a day of wear, the bottom button has snapped off (the rivet or whatever holding it together just snapped.) I purchased them on eBay, and I was wondering if there's any way I can get a replacement pair from APC or something, and how I would go about doing that if I can. I will try and call the NY store tomorrow, even though the jeans are probably not from there. I'm guessing they have to be defective, because the bottom button is a weird thing to snap, considering there's very little pressure there and the jeans weren't ridiculously tight on me (I could button them up all the way, albeit with a bit of trouble). Thanks in advance!

DECEMBER

Reaction score
ah, i see. What about washing them? The APC and g-star sales-people I talked to advised against washing raw denim. But this person says:
Washing denim actually is good for the fabric. It returns the tightness to the weave of the fabric hence making the jean stronger. I usually wash them on their own on a gentle cycle. I use about 2 tablespoons of laundry detergent (although now I use denim specific detergent) and 3 tablespoons of diluted salt. Yes that's right, salt. Salt has a wondefrul property of keeping the colour within the fabric, making the indigo stay indigo and the faded bits faded. NEVER let the washing machine spin your jeans as this can cause unwanted lines through your denim. I always pull my jeans out dripping wet and then hang dry in the sun. Another NEVER is put your jeans in the dryer. In fact NEVER put any natural fabrics in your dryer.
-http://www.thevine.com.au/fashion/re...nim-guide.aspx

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I would advise you to be careful what you read on the internet; the author of that article is fairly clueless, as he keeps conflating "raw" and "selvedge," which are mutually exclusive concepts.

That said, yes, washing your denim will keep the fabric stronger than not washing. But the stronger the fabric, the slower it will wear down, and most people who buy raw jeans do so for the express purpose of wearing them down. Therefore, not washing them aids in this process. If you want a pair of jeans to forever look the way they did the day you bought them, buy prewashed denim, and wash them as often as you want.

DECEMBER

Reaction score
I have a pair of pre-washed levi's vintage jeans that doesn't look the same as the day I bought it.. it looks distressed but still vibrant... or maybe I'm just crazy.. But i've only washed it twice (wash as in soak in cold water + detergent for 5 minutes then hanging to dry).

So... if I bought a pair of A.P.C. raw jeans and wore them for 6 months, then washed it, would that be any different than not washing it? And is that a good idea?

newbiejeans

Reaction score
Sorry if this was asked already, but I didn't want to read through the hundreds of pages on this thread
tounge.gif

Is it true that sizes 29 and below have a 34" inseam while sizes 30 and above have a 36" ?

I'm about 5'7" and my waist size is a 32, so would a size 30 NS be too long for me? If so, would I be better off getting a 29? I don't really want skin tight jeans though...

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Don't let the inseam be a deciding factor. At 5'7", chances are they'll be too long either way, so just get them hemmed if need be, or embrace the stacking.

DECEMBER

Reaction score

DECEMBER

Reaction score
Considering that I may have to wash my jeans once or twice down the future, what factors should I consider in terms of shrinkage when purchasing my first pair?

Are A.P.C. jeans sanforized?

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Considering that I may have to wash my jeans once or twice down the future, what factors should I consider in terms of shrinkage when purchasing my first pair?
None.

Are A.P.C. jeans sanforized?
All jeans are sanforized unless specifically marked as unsanforized or shrink-to-fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads