• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

a little help - ordering a suit

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
gentlemen - I am ordering a new suit for the first time in about 12 years.

I remember that there was a very good thread, a very long time ago, that talked about the various details to remember when commissioning a suit. can somebody remind me where that is?

thanks

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Bump.

And if the thread is not to be found, details? Purpose of suit, rtw or bespoke, price range, etc

Last edited:

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am looking to commission a suit from Lee Baron in HK, a business suit, DB in dark gray, probably aiming at 10-12 ounces. I need a number of suits, so I will be using this as a "pilot". having talked to a number of people on the forum, this seemed to be an excellent balance of quality and price point. I commissioned about a dozen suits, from 20-12 years ago, and they simply don't fit me anymore. so I have forgotten some of the stuff I used to know when commissioning suits, but I honestly didn't know, at the time, what I should know.

so, who can help me out?

thanks

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Master globetrotter.

I will refrain from Lee Baron now.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are in luck, I have managed to find it. It dates from 2006!

Check list - suit.

Coat

Where I have put a * these you should really have, the others are choices. There are obviously many other styles and features you can have but of the classic everyday business style:

High arm holes*
Single/Double breast?
If single, 3, 2 or 1 button?
Roll of lapel - just where?
Peak lapel or notch (SB)
If double breasted, button one (4 x 1) or two (6 x2)?
4 working cuff buttons*
Colour of lining - contrast or match. Satin or polyester?? satin lining, an ermazine (satin viscose) or a twill: Shot satin?
Straight or 'slant/hacking’ side pockets with or without flaps?
Outside ticket pocket?
Ticket pocket inside either or both side pockets?
Lapel button hole and flower stem 'cord' behind*
Ensure that the right amount of shirt cuff shows*
Side/centre or no vents
Inside pockets - how many and where placed. I currently have 8?
• Do you want any to fasten – zip or button/flap
• What size? Specify
• Do you use two breast pockets?
It is certainly now a good idea to have a cell phone pocket as well as a ticket pocket: Think where you want it - not where others would.
Additional inside ticket pockets
Zips on pockets or some to be button fastening?
Pen pocket (s)?
Your name embroidered inside?

Trousers

Braces?
Belt or side adjusters/extension band?
If braces how high a rise (can vary by choice) Fishtail back or not? (Preferred with very high rise)
French bearer
Zip fly or button?
Turn ups?
Pleats? One or two forward or reverse?
Width of bottoms
Half lined legs
Lined?
On seam or slant side pockets?
Coin pocket inside either or both side pockets
Fob pocket? - what style i.e. in waistband or outside and below with flap or button/hole? Plain without button?
Back pockets? - 1, 2 or none? If yes how do you prefer them to fasten, button through (preferable) or flap/button or tab/button. Concealed button is another option. Double jetted with button/hole look best I think.

Waistcoat/vest

-do you want a vest at all
-single-breasted or double-breasted
-if single, five or six buttons?
-lapels or no lapels?
-hole for watch chain?
Number of pockets?

There are many views here about all these. Some people tend to have a fairly firm few which tends to be from days gone by. These are things - such as braces are a must: they have advantages on 'hang' of the trouser but not everyone wants to have braces visible when they remove their jacket - that is for you although they are not terribly practical today and I would recommend the practical in this instance.

I would suggest that you take this list and a current suit and just draw up a list based on this lot that you want. Some of the houses can be a little prescriptive and try to persuade first timers into the cutters thoughts, not what he wants.

You decide and then stick to your guns. It is your suit and you should get the pleasure out of it

Last edited:

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thank you!

steveabdn

Reaction score
I'm ordering a suit in the coming weeks and this thread has given me some invaluable food for thought

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thanks will do

RyanM

Reaction score
As a supplement, go to the blog "parisian gentleman" and look for the post on the 7 things to look for in a suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads