• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A green belt?

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at Equus' website and rather fancy their West End belt in racing green. Of course I don't own any green shoes tough. So I suppose my question is this: can one wear a green bridle leather belt in the same way that one wears a ribbon belt, ie as a freestanding bit of colour rather than as something that shouldn't be too distant from the colour of one's shoes?

I'm not looking for "wear it if you like it" answers, but for arguments of sorts. My argument would be that since green isn't really a traditional colour for shoes then a green belt is obviously not intended as a matchable item. Unless we hold that leather belts should always match, in which case no green belt for me. Opinions?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this myself actually. To me, green is the unorthodox leather color easiest to wear. You'd think blue would be, but I don't think it's even close. Blue leather is actually quite difficult to pair. It's too unorthodox for conservative business dress, yet too slick and city for more country outfits.

I would not wear a green belt as part of serious business attire, but can see it being worn easily with a tweed jacket and the OneShoe.

Last edited:

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thinking along very similar lines. Also: dark jeans, sweater, and clunky black derbies, perhaps. And let me reassure you that I never contemplated blue!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sounds good. I'm just sad you may beat me to it!

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I probably will, just because I'm in the UK! I'm going with the West End Roller Buckle in satin finish.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Damn you. I'll just have to find a way to inject some special Foo sauce into mine.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nice crotch? I'm not sure what we're supposed to be looking at. I'm looking at your crotch.

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it would work, though I think I'd personally rather have a green surcingle belt. That Equus belt would be really cool with, like, cigar shell or brown suede -- those kind of muddy forest colors.

What do all y'all think of a green leather watchband (something dark like the Equus belt) on a stainless steel watch with white face? I'm tired of the bracelet on my Seiko, but I want one band to wear with everything.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dark green pebble-grain leather for a watch strap. Preferably attached to a vintage steel Datejust.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dark green pebble-grain leather for a watch strap. Preferably attached to a vintage steel Datejust.

Thanks. That's about the platonic ideal of what I was considering. Embarrassingly, my Seiko wishes a little too fervently it was a DJ -- I didn't realize that when I bought it.
shog[1].gif

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which shoes, Spoo?

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the belt from Equus and I wear it with my green Bontonis as well as with any other shoe that goes well with browns/taupes. I think it really is a nice contrast. If you look at the pics spoo posted above both with lighter browns.

I actually wore my green one today.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads