• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$700 watch

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
The watch in the link is a quartz model, not a Viewmatic.

Ah, my mistake. I should know better than to post in watch threads, not knowing anything about them.

theguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoesies
Input?

412WAB00K2L._SS500_.jpg

tags are not that great,
if you want to buy a new omega I have an authorized dealer you can call and get 30% off and tax free

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
I just bought a Hamilton Field Chrono Auto in that price range (less, actually). I intend to do it again in a bit and get a Stowa Marine, which is a little dressier, so I'll have a one for casual and one for something more formal.

Hopefully, then, I'll have two nice watches that will last me for a decade or so. Then, I'll just go Patek.

That's my beater watch for about 2 years now, bought it new and been great thus far.

I also have this Tag. don't listen to the naysayers regarding Tag Heuer, they make great watches, you just have to buy the right model. Besides, I don't consider Omegas superior to Tag Heuer, that and I never liked their styles. My next watch will be an IWC Portuguese .

chas

Reaction score
Those photos are awesome! I really like that watch

I bought this watch a year and a half ago. It can be had for under $500 from an authorized dealer.

I highly recommend it.

theguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rocks
That's my beater watch for about 2 years now, bought it new and been great thus far.

I also have this Tag. don't listen to the naysayers regarding Tag Heuer, they make great watches, you just have to buy the right model. Besides, I don't consider Omegas superior to Tag Heuer, that and I never liked their styles. My next watch will be an IWC Portuguese .

I do like the carrera
The omegas being made now with the co-axial movement are def. superior
No servicing required for 10 years

Just spring for a panerai they are a smart buy because they go up in value
smile.gif

my pam has gone up about 18% since I bought it last year

-def. check out ball watches, amazing build quality for the price... and I believe they are in your range

shoesies

Reaction score
Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic auto - leather
105513537_eaeeec6a24_o.jpg

Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic auto - SS
51bL2i1p0JL._SL500_.jpg

TAG Carrera:
412WAB00K2L._SS500_.jpg

I like all 3 of these watches! Is the TAG a nice, reliable, long lasting watch?

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like all 3 of these watches! Is the TAG a nice, reliable, long lasting watch?
The TAG is a standard, off the shelf, ETA automatic movement in a SS case with some nice dial work - just like the Hamilton. It will be as reliable as any other well put together ETA-based watch - again, just like the Hamilton. For what it's worth, I think the Carrera is a beautiful, classic design. The Hamiltons are, relatively, very good value for money.

I noticed earlier in this thread that you were not completely wedded to the idea of a mechanical/automatic watch. Many here will tell you that automatics are always a better choice than quartz. Personally, I disagree. If you are prepared to look towards Japan, your budget will buy you alot of high-end, super accurate quartz. Try googling the Seiko SBQJ015 - meets all your requirements (though titanium rather than SS), comfortably within your budget and with the added benefits of 20sec per year accuracy, a GMT hand, perpetual calendar and 10 year battery. Or (a little smaller and sportier) the SBCM023 - all the same benefits (sans GMT hand) but with 200m water resistance and a diving bezel (and even cheaper). I absolutely love mine:

Afb0061.jpg

shoesies

Reaction score
I had a chance to look at TAG watches, as well as Hamilton's today >

I'm absolutely devastated that the Hamilton watch does not fit comfortably on my wrist!!! It's gorgeous dial, thick band, and double clasp are some of the features I really like. If it would only fit on my wrist, i would be stoked to buy one of them with a secondary strap.

Does anyone know if this feature is lessened when the strap breaks in and is not so stiff?

The TAG is beautiful as well, at a price much more aggesive for nearly the same product (on the outside).

This is a tough decision, I would like some input on the Hamilton to see if the way it sits on my wrist (feels like its not sitting flat/is sitting high off)

shoesies

Reaction score
I am really akin to the Hamilton Jazzmaster - the brown original strap looks very similiar to my AE's cognac, that would really be a plus! I could score a nice black band like the one pictured and have 2 looks for $600ish. Is the TAG worth the price difference?

This is what I want >

look 1
jazz-black-1.jpg

JAZZ-BLACK-3.jpg

look 2
001.jpg

1ham-frontal.jpg

orthofrancis

Reaction score
I think much of the price difference between the Tag and the Hamilton is Tags advertising budget. I think both use ETA movements - not sure if Tag modifies theirs much. I am thinking of getting the Hamilton Khaki King

shoesies

Reaction score
Anyone else?

Does anyone actually own the TAG Carrera model I am interested in? I don't see them on msg boards often?

shoesies

Reaction score
What about the Tissot PRC 200? In black face or white, SS band - $300 price range? I had a quick look at one in the mall, very shiny and clean looking - I prefer the black face, but I think it would clash while wearing brown shoes.

DSC00986-1.jpg

TissotT17158632.2.JPG

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about matching watch dial to shoe/belt leather; we are OCD enough as is.

That said, I wouldn't pay anything over $200 for a quartz watch. Okay, for an original Hamilton Ventura, perhaps, but definitely not that chrono.

shoesies

Reaction score
Anyone else? The watch looks and feels fantastic in person - especially for that price!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads