• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

36S/46S Suits - Hard to Find

Deipnosophist

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm quite young and still, just about, slim
tongue.gif
However, as I find myself more and more interested in fashion, and more and more in situations where formalwear is required, my love for suits has become all the more intense
biggrin.gif

However, being a UK 36S and US/EU 46S, it's often quite hard for me to find suits my size, as most of them are larger sizes. Does anybody know of brands that have slimmer, smaller suits or is anybody else in my situation?

Many thanks,
Dep

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw
Quick answer: Zara and H&M

Search the forum for more.

Quick answer Johnny, Zara and H&M don't make Shorts.

If you don't have anything constructive to add save the "Search the forum more," speech.

Yes -- 36S are hard to find, especially on sale. STP never has Isaia or Belvest in that size and most B&M stores either don't carry 36s or have so few they hardly ever make it to the sale rack. Unless you want to pay full retail, I suggest going the MTM route.

Four in Hand http://www.fourinhand.com/ (a forum participant) does have a lot of "short" sizes, but I cannot speak to their suits quality.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StockwellDay
Quick answer Johnny, Zara and H&M don't make Shorts.

If you don't have anything constructive to add save the "Search the forum more," speech.

Yes -- 36S are hard to find, especially on sale. STP never has Isaia or Belvest in that size and most B&M stores either don't carry 36s or have so few they hardly ever make it to the sale rack. Unless you want to pay full retail, I suggest going the MTM route.

Four in Hand http://www.fourinhand.com/ (a forum participant) does have a lot of "short" sizes, but I cannot speak to their suits quality.

actually there was a thread with almost the exact title that should be around page 4-5 by now, it was on page 1 just a week or 2 ago. even without the shorts, taking them to a tailor would still be the cheapest route, since they are accordingly slim and easily modified to fit a budget, as well as the OP's particular style.

StockwellDay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
actually there was a thread with almost the exact title that should be around page 4-5 by now, it was on page 1 just a week or 2 ago. even without the shorts, taking them to a tailor would still be the cheapest route, since they are accordingly slim and easily modified to fit a budget, as well as the OP's particular style.
That's a lot more helpful information than "Do a search." Tailors also hate shortening R's to S's. Others with more knowledge can provide input, but I've been told it is not a suggested route.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Dep - I'm in the same boat. I'm closer to a 34s, so I even have to tailor my 36s for a better fit. I don't know what your budget is like but on occasion I've found some "decent" (i.e. Brooks Brothers, Boss, Hickey Freeman) suits on ebay at very reasonable prices. My job requires me to wear a suit Monday through Thursday so I've initially stocked up on Macy's quality fused suits and little by little replacing them with better constructed suits. Eventually I'll go MTM - more than likely http://www.thickasthievesla.com/.

Best of luck.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have one myself (yet), but I understand Thick as Thieves might give you the best bang for your buck.

Deipnosophist

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far everyone. My budget is about £700 maximum ($1400), so perhaps MTM isn't quite feasible yet?

doo888

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the short length, but do take a look at Ralph Lauren Black Label and Dior Homme. I too am on the thin side (130lbs) but I can get away with a regular length being 5'10, but both produce high quality suits which are cut for the slender figure.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should definently be able to get a good suit for $1400 (or several). Even if a regular B&M store doesn't have what you want, they would probably order one for you.

Hickey Freeman, Brooks Bros, and Ralph Lauren all have decent suits in thier boys selection, so you might want to look at some boys size 18 or 20 suits. However there isn't nearly the selection of styles and fabrics available as there are for a men's size 36S.

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of the "designer" suits are more slim fitted although since you're looking for a short, length is probably an issue as well. I doubt very much that you would be able to find a 36S in any brick and mortar store in the US except possibly Paul Stuart. I have on ide on the availability of sizes in the UK. If I were you I would consider Thick as Thieves.

If you're actually a 36R then just wait around till the first round of sales and you should be able to find a couple of decent deals. I just got a Jil Sander suit from Barney's in a 36 a week or so ago.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I had $1400 to spend, I'm sure I'd be able to find something.

I believe Thick as Thieves suits are roughly $450 for forum members, so you could get three for that price.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StockwellDay
That's a lot more helpful information than "Do a search." Tailors also hate shortening R's to S's. Others with more knowledge can provide input, but I've been told it is not a suggested route.
i would guess that it's usually not a suggested route because it may throw off the balance of the jacket. it's also difficult to angle the sleeve hems at the correct angle (if they had any to start with), and if buttons need to be moved, that's always a pain. sleeve alterations cost more than they should seem, around $25 per sleeve.

TKDKid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Deipnosophist
Thanks for the replies so far everyone. My budget is about £700 maximum ($1400), so perhaps MTM isn't quite feasible yet?

I'm guessing you're in the UK, in which case you may find this thread of interest.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads