• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$300-$500 on a good brown dress shoe...........

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this has been talked about a little bit before but I'd appreciate the help. Currently looking for a good brown dress shoe. I'm a student, so I don't need dress shoes that often, like 1-2x a week MAX if I'm shadowing physicians, meeting with professors, etc. I wear casual boots, etc to class.

So pretty much I'm looking for a versatile brown shoe that I can always wear. Price range is about $300-$500 MAX (pretty much like new condition only, will accept 1-2x worn).

I found this model from STF:

http://www.shopthefinest.com/p-37417-sutor-mantellassi-brown-shoes-size-105-us-95-uk.aspx

^So those will be about $380 with shipping. Good call or could I do better? From the pictures I'm not 100% sure about the leather on those.....

As stated, this will be my only pair of dress shoes at the moment so need something versatile to go with grey slacks and maybe even navy chinos.

*Also, definitely don't want anything 'chunky'. Definitely like wearing sleeker lasts, so not really fond of things like most Alden models.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you are a med student.

Those shoes are great... having said that, not sure I'd use them to shadow a physician, it might be an over kill. You'll have better shoes (and I mean wayyyy better) than 99.99% of all physicians (at least in the US) and thus may come across as a pretencious douche.

Don't get me wrong I'd buy those in a heartbeat, just not sure those are the most appropriate shoes for a student shadowing a physician.

Now if you are really set on them just go ahead and get them. Quality wise I think that the price is about right for those shoes.

just my $ 0.02

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope, still in undergrad, applying to med school soon, just adding on shadowing hours right now.

So, is that (besides the possible 'in your face' factor) an all around solid choice? I'm fond of the styling, just more questioning if I can get more 'bang for my buck' for the $380 price. I know that's not very much by any means in the dress shoe world, I would still like to make get the most out of my funds though.

I recently had a pair of Paul Smith Starrs in dark brown that I was using, so would like an upgrade from them if possible.

Thanks again.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm assuming you are a med student.

Those shoes are great... having said that, not sure I'd use them to shadow a physician, it might be an over kill. You'll have better shoes (and I mean wayyyy better) than 99.99% of all physicians (at least in the US) and thus may come across as a pretencious douche.

Don't get me wrong I'd buy those in a heartbeat, just not sure those are the most appropriate shoes for a student shadowing a physician.

Now if you are really set on them just go ahead and get them. Quality wise I think that the price is about right for those shoes.

just my $ 0.02

Nope. It's not what you wear but your attitude that makes you a pretentious douche. If I have to not dress better than my managers - and I'm not going to call them my superiors because they're not superior - I'd be wearing square-toed corrected grain loafers.

And those are very nice shoes. Love that Sutor last. Go for them.

Last edited:

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please read carefully, I said he "he may come across as..." not that he'd be one. See the diference. It's a matter of perception and in medicine, unfortunately, it's just the way it is.

Having said that, I think those shoes are great, just not sure I would wear them in that setting.

Last edited:

kellgy

Reaction score
Why not? I wear cordovan in a psychiatric facility for the criminally insane.

jonnyt

Reaction score
Brown brogues on a sleek but classic last are always appropriate. The SM pair you linked to are very nice, as are the AS pair. I'd imagine the build quality on both pairs is pretty equal but with the SM's you're paying more for the styling. Basically, you can't go wrong with either, just remember to buy trees and try to only wear them every other day if you can.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads