1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

3 piece MTM Suit for my wedding day. Zegna or Tom Ford

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Only 110, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Only 110

Only 110 Member

Waterloo is actually where I live. I will definitely go check it out maybe tonight.

In terms of TF fabric, I chose OR1953. It is 85% wool and 15% silk. I think I must have selected a very high end one.

2. Only 110

Only 110 Member

Yes, I thought about go to New York. But I will probably have to go there at least twice (order and pick up). Two trips to New York may not seem that bad tho since I personally love New York. I will consider for sure.

3. Only 110

Only 110 Member

Thank you for all of your inputs. I went to Harry Rosen and Holts during the weekend, and tried on suits from many brands. At the end, I still like Tom Ford and Zegna better than other brands. They fit me well, I like their styles and fabrics better than a lot of other brands.

After that, I have been wondering maybe I should get a besopke suit. I have been looking around on the forum, I would love to get a MTM or bespoke suit from tailors like Dave Reeves, but unfortunately they are all located in the US. Information regarding good tailors in Toronto is very limited, I was wondering if some of the Toronto members could give me a few suggestions on Toronto based custom suit tailors. I personally really liked Daniel Craig's suits in Skyfall and Mark Gatiss's (played Mycroft Holmes) suits in BBC show Sherlock Holmes, and hoping maybe to get a similar sharp looking suit made by a tailor. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  4. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

Dont spend so much money on a suit - you'll look the same anyway, and the wedding day isn't even that important!

5. smoothmoose

smoothmoose Senior member

Is this your first "real" suit? As others have suggested, if you are looking for something for your wedding and formal occasion a tuxedo is a better choice. If you are specifically referring to the James Bond Skyfall, midnight blue tuxedo, that's a good choice and is made by Tom Ford.

Money may not be an object, but spending $5k on suit/tuxedo is significant and you should consider how much you will actually wear it over the next 5 years and consider if you won't wear it much, how likely is your body going to change during that time? You can definitely do quite well even in the $1-2k range.

As for tailor options in Toronto, there are a few, though I don't have any direct experiences as I usually buy online MTM or via tailors in Asia I've worked with.

- Trend Custom Tailors
    - Garrison Bespoke
    - Spiros
    - GotStyle MTM
    - Xavier Tailor (CTM only)

6. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

If you want a wide peaked lapel, ford is the only RTW that offers this. 10k is way to much for TF. Take a look at Ralph Lauren black label, they have several single and double breasted peak lapel offerings. Aggressive fit, high armhole, Italian. Lapels are skinnier but its still a peak on some models. Can be had on deal and theMTM is in your range. Generally made for smaller or lean guys..... Or just go bespoke.

As for a second outfit, why not a navy tux with a black shawl collar? You could do a cool dinner jacket as well.
    If he's looking for a wide peaked lapel and or aggressive TF type look Sammy is prob not the move. I had two jackets done by them in their Geneva cut which is supposed to be their most modern cut and its not even close to an aggressive fit.

7. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Don't go bespoke. From the sound of it, you don't wear suits regularly or have a lot of suit knowledge. Going bespoke is a bad idea in this scenario.

1 person likes this.
  8. Only 110

Only 110 Member

Can you elaborate more on why this is a bad idea? Will they not make what I want/like? How could bespoke be worse than say MTM or OTR? Thanks.

9. brokencycle

This is a topic that has come up numerous times on the forum, but generally speaking, new suit buyers aren't happy with the outcome. I doubt you truly know what you want/can effecitvely articulate it to a tailor. Simply going to a tailor and saying "make a suit like Tom Ford" probably won't have great results.

I have just started getting into made to measure, and even using rtw suits that I like as a model, haven't resulted as nicely as I would like. Some of that is my fault, some of it the tailor's.

If you like Zegna, get a Zegna suit for $2-3k, and be done with it.

Also, you haven't elaborated. Is this a very formal wedding? What time of day?

10. Quarks

Quarks Senior member

Tom Ford size 48 short = 48C

11. David Reeves

David Reeves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I completely disagree with this. You don't need to be a clothing expert to buy bespoke just like you don't need to be a watch expert to buy a Rolex or a great amateur mechanic to buy a Ferrari. I think your problem is either your tailor isn't very good or you are trying to make him do things that he doesn't usually do. I wouldn't do it and I wouldn't make a suit like Tom ford, but if I was inclined I could talk to my buddy who used to be the director of TF Bespoke, I'd take a look at some of the suits, get my friend to look at the pattern I made, source the same trims and cloths if I could. I wouldn't do it not through lack of ability or resources but because I want people to buy my suits, not TF copies. So for me I would just say I'm not making it if I couldn't, or if I didn't feel comfortable making the garment. Your tailor probably needs to learn how to do this.

Going back to my original point, if you go to a good maker you really can't lose, unless you make it happen. I don't like being typecast but if you look at the suits I make then well, that's sort of what your suit is going to look like, it's not going to be some hipster suit, it's not going to look like it's from Anderson and Shepherd or Rubinacci. The key is to find a good maker and one that you like the look of their work. Do you like it? Would you wear clothes like that? Well ok, maybe you should order yourself one then. And that's pretty much it. A tailor isn't like a machine that you can program and if you do that well enough and comprehensively then you get a good result.....well in a way maybe they are, but that's a full time job, it's called being a fashion designer, which is very different from a client.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  12. md2010

md2010 Senior member

lol. true....

13. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

if you buy a tom ford, it's probably still a zegna[​IMG]. so for the money involved, If David reeves makes a fine suit- go with him. small shop tailor's are always a safe bet if the tailor is good. long story short: pay a good tailor to make you something special. much better than anything off the rack. and it won't cost the earth.

14. smoothmoose

I agree with both Brokencycle and David Reeves. From personal experience, my first couple MTM commissions were not that good as you are indeed still developing your personal tastes and style.

I believe the challenge is having the tailor provide the right amount of input while still maintaining their house cut and not just replicating something (all tailors hate to replicate). But the tailor also needs to watch out and not give the customer too much leeway to shoot themselves in the foot. Further to compound the issues, your first commission you are likely to pull your lady friend in for support and though they have a good sense of style in general, they probably direct you to something too trendy or just out of place for a classic look.

As a tailor what do you do, if your client and/or their lady friend insists on contrasting white buttonholes on a black tuxedo, or skinny peak lapels even though they have wide frame? You'll try to talk them down from the cliff, but then they reason, we mind as well buy OTR if we don't make these "unique" customizations....

15. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

I completely disagree with this. You don't need to be a clothing expert to buy bespoke just like you don't need to be a watch expert to buy a Rolex or a great amateur mechanic to buy a Ferrari.

I think the proper comparison would be going to another watch maker and asking them to make a rolex or going to another car maker and asking them to make a ferrari. I mean "technically" Audi did it with the R8 (lambo gallardo) but that would be like Zegna doing it with tom ford in that they already have the parts and expertise so they "can" do it. But i completely agree with your other points in that its very important to find one that you like the look of then go with that. And to the OP are you even sure TF works on you? There was one guy a while back who posted a couple of pics of himself in TF and it didnt work at all on his frame.

16. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

You realize that TF is made to Zegna couture standards which costs roughly the same as TF in the first place right? And if we go by your rationale then why bother buying Ralph Lauren Black label or Purple Label when its all just Polo (Blue Label) anyway????

17. Only 110

Only 110 Member

I am hoping to make something clear. I liked TF and zegna, but when I say I am considering bespoke or MTM from a good tailor. I didn't mean I want the tailor to completely replicate what Daniel Craig was wearing in Skyfall or what Mark Gatiss was wearing in Sherlock Holmes. I was simply hoping to tell the tailor what kind of suits I like, give him some ideas about my taste and the quality I am expecting. Then I definitely hope a good tailor would recommend something to me that would look good with high quality and also has his characteristics in it. If I were a good tailor, I would be insulted if someone been very pushy to get me replicate some other people's work.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  18. brokencycle

I'm not saying you need to be an expert, but he seems like an amateur buying his first suit and I think going to a tailor and saying make me a suit that looks like Tom Ford at a fraction of the price will lead to suboptimal results.

19. Ennius

Ennius Senior member

For 5K you should be able to get a very nice suit.

If you can, IMO find a good local tailor and get either a MTM or bespoke. Just make sure you like the general styles the tailor does.

If you are in NYC often, David Reeves would make you a very very nice suit for under $5K. Check out his site and see if you like his styles.

Good luck.

20. smoothmoose

Why don't make a visit to the guys at Trend Custom Tailors. Again no personal experience other than a couple of email conversations, but they just posted up a pretty good looking midnight blue tuxedo on their facebook page. Bewarned though, based on some previous posts here, if you have some crazy custom style ideas I believe the tailor there will let you shoot yourself in the foot. But from their facebook page and blog their house style looks pretty good.