• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2014-2015 OFFICIAL FOOTY THREAD (+ Brazil 2014) - Football, Soccer, Calcio, Voetball, Fútbol, Futebo

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i just don't accept that it was a legitimate foul

marquez barely if at all touched him

Don't understand how you can entertain the possibility that Marquez (barely) touched him but not that it was a foul.
If Marquez touched him it was a foul, barely or not. If it was a foul it was a penalty. Simple.

-edit-
FWIW I think that Robben could easily have continued playing without falling which would have been the honourable thing to do. Looking back at all the replays its seems that Marquez stepped on the tip of his toes and Robben made it seem worse than it was.
Still, stepping on someone's foot is a foul, even if its only a little bit.

Last edited:

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not all contact in the box is a foul. If so, every corner set play in history would be disallowed.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the whole team sucked, netherlands didn't control anything until mexico willingly stopped controlling the match, foolishly opting for a 1-0 win (dumb idea) and lot of the threat came from set pieces like the equalizer. bus-parking is a strategy reserved for genius tacticians like mourinho.

Agreed. Mexico let the Netherlands back into the game.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think we've seen a fair amount of teams playing not to lose versus playing to win, especially once they have a 1-0 lead (or in the case of Italy need a draw to advance out of the group stage). Really not a good idea unless you have a truly elite defense, and even then I'm not fully convinced it's the best plan. I understand why the teams do it in theory, but it seems to be backfiring a lot.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Agreed. Mexico let the Netherlands back into the game.

I think we've seen a fair amount of teams playing not to lose versus playing to win, especially once they have a 1-0 lead (or in the case of Italy need a draw to advance out of the group stage). Really not a good idea unless you have a truly elite defense, and even then I'm not fully convinced it's the best plan. I understand why the teams do it in theory, but it seems to be backfiring a lot.

Amen!

Mark Anthony

Reaction score
First off I do not like Robben. Second, I was still supporting Netherlands in that game.

So with that said, Marquez fucked up pure and simple. Robben was looking for it, no doubt so he found the biggest idiot to take on. Marquez earlier had lazily left his leg out and on that occasion Robben jumped over and took the shot. He could have easily not avoided contact, gone down and 99% chance of a PK call.

I don't like selling but the player also has no obligation to avoid another player if he is late and about to clip you.

We are all taught from the age of about 8 to make damn sure when you reach for a ball once the player is in the box.

Yes, he was late on the challenge and did obstruct a player who was running past him. Referee has to call it in my opinion.

Mark Anthony

Reaction score
Now for Greece...oh god. I just knew as it went on if they don't take advantage of the extra man the gods would come back to bite them in PKs.

As for the PKs, that was an exhibition on how to take them compared to Brasil-Chile. The stop, was exactly that a save as opposed to a crap shot.

One of the CR shots was a tad lucky as it went right over Karnezis who guessed the right way. But overall they all slotted them home nicely.

I was 2/4 on predictions this weekend with those damned penalties screwing up my two losses.

Nikos

Reaction score
Now for Greece...oh god. I just knew as it went on if they don't take advantage of the extra man the gods would come back to bite them in PKs.

As for the PKs, that was an exhibition on how to take them compared to Brasil-Chile. The stop, was exactly that a save as opposed to a crap shot.

One of the CR shots was a tad lucky as it went right over Karnezis who guessed the right way. But overall they all slotted them home nicely.

I was 2/4 on predictions this weekend with those damned penalties screwing up my two losses.

I was also certain we were going to lose it if we could not finish it in the extra time.
Anyway, I liked Costa Rica, I wish they continue.

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First off I do not like Robben. Second, I was still supporting Netherlands in that game.

So with that said, Marquez fucked up pure and simple. Robben was looking for it, no doubt so he found the biggest idiot to take on. Marquez earlier had lazily left his leg out and on that occasion Robben jumped over and took the shot. He could have easily not avoided contact, gone down and 99% chance of a PK call.

I don't like selling but the player also has no obligation to avoid another player if he is late and about to clip you.

We are all taught from the age of about 8 to make damn sure when you reach for a ball once the player is in the box.

Yes, he was late on the challenge and did obstruct a player who was running past him. Referee has to call it in my opinion.

You are 100 % right. I don't like Robben at all (there are a few billion of us around the world) and did not cheer for Holland in the game. Nevertheless, the penalty is not in doubt (despite the dive) so the world just need to accept that a foul in the penalty area will result in a penalty kick, regardless of how much Robben annoys you.

And.. I feel very sad for Greece but was cheering for Costa Rica. Now, if they can only create the upset of the century against Holland in the quarterfinal, it will all be good. :D

clockwise

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was also certain we were going to lose it if we could not finish it in the extra time.
Anyway, I liked Costa Rica, I wish they continue.

I feel very sorry for Greece. You have a big heart to wish Costa Rica luck after that heartbreak. Is that Miles Davis? If so, you have excellent taste even though your country is not one of the 8 best in world football. :)

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm starting to get anxious about the USA v Belgium game. Belgium seems to have not really gelled as a team but the US has had some really sloppy plays, like the total give away of the 2nd goal from portugal. The defenders need to start getting their isht together.

Nikos

Reaction score
I feel very sorry for Greece. You have a big heart to wish Costa Rica luck after that heartbreak. Is that Miles Davis? If so, you have excellent taste even though your country is not one of the 8 best in world football.
smile.gif

Yes, it was bitter because we were so close.
They fought hard, but I don't think they went too far. It is normal when you are down one player.
At least our team gave it their best.

That is indeed Miles. Glad you approve
smile.gif

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm starting to get anxious about the USA v Belgium game. Belgium seems to have not really gelled as a team but the US has had some really sloppy plays, like the total give away of the 2nd goal from portugal. The defenders need to start getting their isht together.

Not to mention the first Portugal goal in that game too. Ugh.

Mark Anthony

Reaction score
Style question: Why is France in white when they are the home team? Curious why they would choose that.

Matuidi - very lucky to just get yellow. Lots of studs into ankles, stamping on feet and into chests without Red and sometimes no yellow (Cavani-Saturday). Just saying.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bettyefts