• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2010 March Madness

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
everybody's bracket was fucked up on day 2 if not day 1
I've thrown mine away.
frown.gif

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
so sad reading nba draft.net:

wittman-not athletic enough

foote-not athletic enough

bouldin-more athletic than people think

harangody-not athletic enough for next level

basically, my son has no shot at nba ever because he is a white kid. very sad.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I find it so bizarre that I see wittman and dale on TV. I lived on the same hall as them freshmen year and occasionally talked to them in the elevator. I played a pickup basketball game with them once.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
I find it so bizarre that I see wittman and dale on TV. I lived on the same hall as them freshmen year and occasionally talked to them in the elevator. I played a pickup basketball game with them once.

I believe I was a junior when Foote was a freshmen and I used to always see him (not sure how one would miss) lurch from North to central, I was always outside of Rand.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
so sad reading nba draft.net: wittman-not athletic enough foote-not athletic enough bouldin-more athletic than people think harangody-not athletic enough for next level basically, my son has no shot at nba ever because he is a white kid. very sad.
where are you reading this? i don't see an article on wittman or foote. jeff foote is so freakin tall. when you stand next to him you have to look up to talk to him. i do hope jeremy lin makes the draft. he played for my cross town rivals and never ceased to amaze me. that game against uconn was amazing. if he only had a better team to play with, I think he would've been on a lot of scouts radar

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^well, i called out nba draft.net but it was across several sites and all over the radio this weekend. foote should be good enough to play in the nba.

i guess i was pissed to cause i went to a tourney this weekend and saw a bunch of kids from our local school kill a team of high-level aau and mcd's AAs 79-53 but the kids on our team are not even being sniffed at by big schools.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
from an SI article, Foote was being recruited D-III until a Cornell coaching member ended up in the ER where Foote's mom was a nurse.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well foote did get into portsmouth. so we'll see what happens. and we'll see what happens this thursday. i'm a little worried because his free throw percentage is like 60% and cornell doesn't really have a backup center. if he gets in foul trouble (he is admittedly a little slow) we're kinda screwed. he really makes the cornell plays, with the give and gos, the screens, etc.

i'd like to see him in the nba, but he's going to hvae to be a little faster to get in.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
How's that East Coast superiority complex holding up?

Washington is looking pretty damn good right now.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brothersport
IMO the 1st half of your 2nd sentence doesn't agree with the 2nd. Obviously it's the adjectives you said, but whoever survives relies a lot on luck and circumstance and it's hard to call them invariably the best team in the country, which is what I think "champions" means.
There is quite a bit of randomness to the tournament, which is inevitable given the one-and-done format and the age of the participants. Nevertheless, you have to win six straight games, and beat some pretty good teams along the way, to be the champion. I'd say that the team left standing at the end is a deserving winner, even if they wouldn't win a best-of-7 series against every other team in the country.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brothersport
but whoever survives relies a lot on luck and circumstance and it's hard to call them invariably the best team in the country, which is what I think "champions" means.

But "best team" generally has nothing to do with "champions" in most sports. If you have any kind of postseason, you run the risk of having a champion who is arguably not the best team. The only major exception I can think of is soccer, where most national leagues don't have a postseason, and even then there's potential for dispute. Very very few people would argue that the '07 NYGiants or the '97 Marlins were the best teams.

Brothersport

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
There is quite a bit of randomness to the tournament, which is inevitable given the one-and-done format and the age of the participants. Nevertheless, you have to win six straight games, and beat some pretty good teams along the way, to be the champion. I'd say that the team left standing at the end is a deserving winner, even if they wouldn't win a best-of-7 series against every other team in the country.
I agree with deserving winner, definitely. It's just a little disappointing that a great season like Kansas' can come to an end so haphazardly, with no second chance. Of course, I would say that being a Duke fan.
smile.gif
Originally Posted by TheIdler
But "best team" generally has nothing to do with "champions" in most sports. If you have any kind of postseason, you run the risk of having a champion who is arguably not the best team. The only major exception I can think of is soccer, where most national leagues don't have a postseason, and even then there's potential for dispute. Very very few people would argue that the '07 NYGiants or the '97 Marlins were the best teams.
I agree you run the risk, but isn't the chance much, much smaller in a 7-game series? I just like the NBA and the NBA playoffs, I suppose. The NFL definitely has had underdogs win the championship for a few years running now, but the fall from grace isn't so huge as in NCAA. Obviously having multiple-game series isn't feasible in NFL/NCAA. I hate baseball, so I have no idea there. Overall, I think "best team" and "champion" correlate very well in, say, NBA. Matchups and randomness are always going to play a part in games, but not nearly as much in a long series. It comes down to what you like to watch. March Madness could not be a better marketing tool and millions of people could not find a more entertaining tournament, so I'm not going to act like it makes no sense.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone give Cornell a chance against Kentucky tonight? I think Cornell will keep it close in the first half, but Kentucky pulls away in the second. Too much of a talent disparity.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Does anyone give Cornell a chance against Kentucky tonight? I think Cornell will keep it close in the first half, but Kentucky pulls away in the second. Too much of a talent disparity.

I agree, though I'm not sure how close the first half can really be. Kentucky has a great set of rental players.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm excited about the Butler/Syracuse game tonight. It would be nice to see the Bulldogs come away with a win, but I'm not expecting it. Folks around these parts are hyped about the game, and rightly so. Go Bulldogs!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads