• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2 New suits for graduation - Dress Shirt color help

diqs

Reaction score
Hello everyone, hope everyone is having a fine Saturday afternoon.

Just have a quick question I am someone wouldn't mind helping me out with (long time browser, first time poster).

I recently got 2 Jones New York suits as a graduation gift, as seen in the album through the link below (one is navy and the other is charcol grey suit.

Link to photoalbum:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2593821...7619606328489/

I was hoping someone could help me out with what color dress shirts would work well with these suits.

If I need to take more/better pictures, I will be more than glad to do so.

Thanks in advance.

- Sadiq

blackbowtie

Reaction score
I'm assuming you have thought of pairing these with white shirts, for starters? Suits in these colours go with almost anything. From my experience, the charcoal grey is slightly more versatile than the navy blue, but both are very versatile. anyway Have fun!

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackbowtie
I'm assuming you have thought of pairing these with white shirts, for starters? Suits in these colours go with almost anything. From my experience, the charcoal grey is slightly more versatile than the navy blue, but both are very versatile. anyway Have fun!
White or light blue would of course look nice.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
definitely white or light blue.

Are you planning to use these suits to interview in?

Props on picking Navy and Charcoal.

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
White or light blue would both work nicely. Especially if you are just learning to put outfits together, these will be safe and either will go well with a wide variety of ties.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree completely with SkinnyGoomba. Definitely go white and light blue. And I wish I had chosen charcoal and navy my first suits... Major props for that.

If I can offer you any advice, stick with whites and blues for now, and get ties that match accordingly. As you accrue more white / blue shirts, or white shirts with blue checks, etc., then you can start branching out, if that makes sense. Just make sure you buy shirts that match with the ties you have, and vice versa.

diqs

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions, it was greatly appreciated.

Yep, I had a white shirt already so that was great.

These suits would most be used for formal wear (weddings, engagements, etc).

I bought myself a light blue dress shirt as well and it looks great.

In terms of the charcoal and navy color shirts...... with regards to the brightness/darkness of the color of the dress shirt being used with these suits.... is there a particular protocol? For each suit should I be using light or dark colored dress shirts?

As well, when I was going shopping today I asked the salesperson what color shirt would go with the charcoal suit and someone mentioned trying the following colors:

Link pink dress shirt similiar to this:

http://adn.is.bluefly.com/mgen/Bluef...340&height=408

Turquoise dress shirt similiar to this but a little bit darker:

http://www.bhdress-shirts.com/i//turquoise.jpg

Based on anyone's personal experiences aside from white and light blue... any other color recommendations? Are there any colors that I should most definately avoid?

Thanks once again for all the help everyone!

- Sadiq

diqs

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice everyone it worked really well.

Wore a light blue shirt with the navy suit and got lots of compliments so thanks once again.

I also tried the light pink shirt with the charcol grey suit since i was feeling a little adventerous and got quite a number of compliments again.

Thought i'd give an update and to say thank you once again for all those who helped me out... you guys certaintly know what you are talking about
worship.gif

bankboss

Reaction score
Originally Posted by diqs
Thanks for all the advice everyone it worked really well.

Wore a light blue shirt with the navy suit and got lots of compliments so thanks once again.

I also tried the light pink shirt with the charcol grey suit since i was feeling a little adventerous and got quite a number of compliments again.

Thought i'd give an update and to say thank you once again for all those who helped me out... you guys certaintly know what you are talking about
worship.gif

the pink works with the charcoal, actually what i plan on wearing tomm.

nhollick

Reaction score
I agree with everyone else. White and light blue are great starting colors. So is a light pink and even a light purple/lavander. Enjoy the suits!

iamprov76

Reaction score
I find that pink goes great with navy but not grey... other than that I think that light blue works well with both.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iamprov76
I find that pink goes great with navy but not grey... other than that I think that light blue works well with both.

Actually I think it goes better with grey (though the shades have to work). Navy is too overpowering for a light pink while a mid grey or even a lighter charcoal sort of compliments it quite well.

Charcoal is like "My, you look lovely today"
Navy is like "*****, you is hawt!"

Remember kids, don't drink and type

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads