• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$100 shoe

Muramasa

Reaction score
I'm new to SF but have been lurking around. I understand $100 for a shoe by SF standards is low, but it's what I got to work with. What brand would you recommend at that price point? I'm looking for a light brown derby.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Light brown is tough with a cheaper shoe since it shows age more. I've always found J&M to be very comfortable (you can probably get them nwob on eBay for a little more than $100); they won't fall apart on you, but the leather ages terribly.

Welcome to Styleforum, and for future reference, quick questions like this can be posted here:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/79716/a...t-all-quick-questions-here/18705#post_5928439

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're okay with a loafer, you can get a few different decently built leather soled penny loafers in that range- Bass Weejuns, Sebago, LL Bean. Don't know of any quality laced shoes in that range, apart from used.

shiltsy

Reaction score
Nordstrom Rack has some nice AE's and others in the $150 range....

haze324

Reaction score
I've seen some Cole Haan's around that price range that would be a superior shoes to the common retail store brands (CK, Kenneth Cole, etc.)

kentyman

Reaction score
Sadly, spending that little on shoes means you're gonna get something that you'll likely have to replace relatively quickly. Buying a quality, Goodyear welted shoe like Allen Edmonds will give you something that can easily be resoled, and can easily last your decades with a little care. I really think your best bet is emailing [email protected] asking for which factory seconds they have in your size(s), and then picking one that you like the look and price of. If the defect is too egregious, you can always exchange or return them.

However, if you really insist on getting something cheaper, you might want to look into some of the picks reviewed at dappered.com:

1. http://dappered.com/2012/05/the-best-looking-dress-shoes-under-200-2/
  2. http://dappered.com/2012/11/shoe-news-the-new-115-mercanti-dress-oxford/
  3. http://dappered.com/2012/10/in-person-the-70-dsw-double-monk-strap/

bjornb17

Reaction score
Definitely buy some used AE's on ebay. In the last year I've gotten a few pairs that were basically in new condition.... Strands for $100, Delrays for $70, Dentons for $60, and Cliftons for $70. I think that's the way to go.

Last edited:

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Definitely buy some used AE's on ebay. In the last year I've gotten a few pairs that were basically in new condition.... Strands for $100, Delrays for $70, Dentons for $60, and Cliftons for $70. I think that's the way to go.
This

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Stop bumping this thread. OP is long gone.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Stop bumping this thread. OP is long gone.

OP may be long gone but the question will get asked a million times more anyway. Better to keep this alive and consolidate any offerings.

e8487

Reaction score
I have some Asthon&Allen "less-than 100€" pairs of shoes made by reputated Spanish manufacturers and traded by "Estellés". Guess they can deliver outside of Spain. Nice choice for daily purposes, both in Goodyear and Kiowa manufacturing.
http://www.zapateriasestelles.es/catalogo.aspx?ID=4271

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads