• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

100% Cotton Trech Coat VS 100% Wool Overcoat ?

andrew96

Reaction score
I live pretty close to DC and in the winter it can go down to 25-30 during the night, 35 during the day. I would prefer and overcoat, that's what I wear. I have a cashmere overcoat from Britches of Georgetown that I wear mostly.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the maximum length for a Chesterfield overcoat and how should it fit?

I located a 100% wool Britches of Georgetown dark grey/black Chesterfield with hidden button(?) closure and velvet collar. The sleeve length, which I assume can be shortened, is just past my wrist but the length goes down to mid calf, a bit longer than pictured below. All the other images that I google show just below the knee as the longest. The shoulders felt roomier than my sport coats but the chest was just about right to go over a sc. I couldn't find a size label in it anywhere. Heavy as all hell though so I think it would do me well here in the land of pleasant living in most winter conditions. The thing is only $15 but I don't want to end up with 10 overcoats that I have to find closet space for storage.

I realize it's in the 90's right now but what better time to select heavy outerwear than when no one else is shopping for it?

Last edited:

MMorley

Reaction score
I was asking myself this very same question. I live in the ever rainy Netherlands, thus a coat needs to be able to repel quite some rain. I live just outside of the city and would prefer to travel by Vespa. Parking space is pretty scarce where I work and I am just a young small timer, working his way up. I would suppose the trench is the best bet, considering that our winters only have a couple of cold weeks. Actually, only the last two or three years have been incredibly cold. The rest has been rather rainy, instead of cold.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bullet dodged. And today was half off stuff with a blue tag, which this did.

IMG_20110716_181202.jpg

WTF was I thinking?

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the reversible Rugby Cottpn-Wool Trench Coat. Looks pretty nice:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance