• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any recs for a Good Affordable haircut in NYC?

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.styleforum.net/cgi-bin....hl=hair Not a very comprehensive list I am afraid.
blush.gif
JJF

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The word "affordable" in NYC can mean a number of different things... What is the max you're looking to spend? I know of some places.

Sevcom

Reaction score
I go to Chelsea Barbers. Good cuts, and I love the hot lather and straight razor. They jacked their prices up to $25, which still isn't that bad for what you get.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Find a neighborhood barber. I lived in Brooklyn and the old Greek guy down the block from me charged $8. Solid cut, hot lather and straight razor shave on the neck, etc. He was on 11th street just east of 5th ave.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There have got to be some NYC members with some decent recommendations. I have two general criteria for a good hairstylist:

- his/her cut has to grow out well such that it doesn't look awful 10 days afterwards.
- he/she has to be able to suggest cuts that work with the shape of my head and face and are conservative enough for work.

I used to pay $50 for a haircut in Austin, TX with a stylist that met those criteria. This being NYC, I can understand that I might need to pay more than that, but I would think I could find something that fit the bill for $75 or less.

That said, I've tried a couple of the mid-priced chains such as Jeffrey Stein and found them lacking.

Mike C, I'd appreciate any recommendations you might have.

dan

ilvangelo

Reaction score
When in NY, I always hit Paul Mole and find their prices to be very good. Tip included, you'll spend no more than 30$ for the old barber shop experience. Very reliable cuts indeed.
I have also tried out the Art of Shaving on Madison by the Roosevelt Hotel and they did a good job, though I'd go with Paul Mole over them.

Yours,
IlVangelo

cloud9eleet

Reaction score
Just went to Paul Mole over the weekend. Price for haircut before tip is $29.00.

Violet cut my hair, very nice. Straight razor/lather optional for the neck.

I would recommend, although if you can go to Chelsea Barbers for 4 dollars less, that may be a better option?

PeterMetro

Reaction score
I also go to Chelsea Barbers - they do a great job.

The only other place you might want to check out is John Allan. For under 600 bucks a year, you can go as often as you like. If you go every two weeks, it comes out to around 23 bucks a cut, plus they give you a beer, a manicure and a shoeshine. I've been a couple times, and it's great, but I don't get my hair cut often enough to justify that kind of expense.

redtree00

Reaction score
Petermetro,

In regards to Paul Allan, last time I checked the yearly membership was $720.
Is there a way to get it at $600 ?

I too can recommend Chelsea Barbers, only problem is that the waiting time can be brutal. On the days that there is a full shop, could be a 2 1/2 hour haircut and they DON'T make appointments.

petescolari

Reaction score
I would go to Paul Mole over Chelsea Barbers for the time aspect. When I lived there, I had my hair cut went at both places only. If you can get to Chelsea during the weekday during nonpeak business hours, you probably won't have to wait. If you are pressed for time and in midtown, Mole is the way to go. Both can give you a great cut by any of the barbers.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There have got to be some NYC members with some decent recommendations.  I have two general criteria for a good hairstylist:

- his/her cut has to grow out well such that it doesn't look awful 10 days afterwards.
- he/she has to be able to suggest cuts that work with the shape of my head and face and are conservative enough for work.

I used to pay $50 for a haircut in Austin, TX with a stylist that met those criteria.  This being NYC, I can understand that I might need to pay more than that, but I would think I could find something that fit the bill for $75 or less.

That said, I've tried a couple of the mid-priced chains such as Jeffrey Stein and found them lacking.

Mike C, I'd appreciate any recommendations you might have.

dan
If you can manage to go to a "barber" rather than a "stylist" the price will drop considerably.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm fine with a "barber" rather than a "stylist" so long as the result is what I want.  I rather doubt that would be the case.  For all the attention paid here to the aesthetics of clothing, I would expect a similar degree of concern for a good haircut as haircuts can have a dramatic effect on one's appearance for the better or the worse.

dan

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads