• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How common are ankle boots and in what settings?

lithium180

Reaction score
I have recently become interested in ankle boots but find that I can think of almost no situations where I have seen them being worn. They feel like a very European style to me and I can see them in my mind's eye being worn around London or Amsterdam but not in the average American city (maybe a tony area of Boston or NYC).

So what do folks here where their ankle boots with and to what sorts of functions. Can you wear them with a suit to work? I'll be working in the suburbs soon and feel that boots might be too fashion forward and draw undue attention...

Thoughts?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I pretty much only wear ankle boots.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently had lunch at a Goldman Sachs dining room and it looked like a public school cafeteria. Wear what you please.

Reaction score
I wear Chukkas just with jeans. Like Clarks suede Wallabees or the Camper boots go with anything. I'm not wearing them as much atm.

Ankle boots can still be worn with virtually anything (depending on color)

As long as you're comfortable wearing it and YOU like the way they look, doesn't matter what others in your town are wearing!

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
I recently had lunch at a Goldman Sachs dining room and it looked like a public school cafeteria. Wear what you please.
180?

I wear chukkas with wool trousers and odd jackets all the time. Now, in fact. #8 Alden chukkas, wool cavalry twill trousers and a flannel blazer.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wear chukkas with suits on occasion. They are the BB BF chukkas that are slightly sleeker than Alden's.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been wanting a pair of Chelseas for a while now but I also think it would look a bit out of place where I live, which is 80+ degrees for 2/3s of year. I've never seen anyone wearing them or really any other kind of ankle boot down here, ever, especially at my age. I'll still probably get some RMWs to wear with jeans and just get used to fielding questions about what the hell kind of shoes I'm wearing.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
I've been wanting a pair of Chelseas for a while now but I also think it would look a bit out of place where I live, which is 80+ degrees for 2/3s of year. I've never seen anyone wearing them or really any other kind of ankle boot down here, ever, especially at my age. I'll still probably get some RMWs to wear with jeans and just get used to fielding questions about what the hell kind of shoes I'm wearing.

I wear my suede Chelseas, with either suit or chinos, all the time, and I live in TX. Last week when I had to walk few times around campus between interview, presentation, and such, the shoes got almost too many compliments.
blush.gif

Jeff Naylor

Reaction score
I frequently wear chukkas with suits. They seem to get quite a few compliments, particularly the shell chukkas for whatever reason.

To the extent that I get the occasional odd look it's because I'm wearing a suit, not because of my choice of footwear accompanying it. In this part of Indiana, anything that isn't an athletic shoe or a work boot is a dress shoe. I can and do wear just about anything with suits, NSTs, loafers, whatever.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like ankle boots and my 'favourite' shoe at the moment are my C&J Tetburys. I'm looking to get a pair of JL Brooklands if I ever make it down to Northampton during my stay in the UK.

minhi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lithium180
I have recently become interested in ankle boots but find that I can think of almost no situations where I have seen them being worn. They feel like a very European style to me and I can see them in my mind's eye being worn around London or Amsterdam but not in the average American city (maybe a tony area of Boston or NYC).

So what do folks here where their ankle boots with and to what sorts of functions. Can you wear them with a suit to work? I'll be working in the suburbs soon and feel that boots might be too fashion forward and draw undue attention...

Thoughts?

i dunno, i think parts of philly have become pretty tony
smile.gif

you can wear them anytime, with a suit or jeans. keep in mind that when standing, they look like whole cuts (which in themselves are rare to see). it's more of an average thing, if you look at dress shoes these days, most people are wearing a few of the same styles, just look at the selection at the shoe store, so of course you won't see that many people wearing chelsea boots--which is one of the reasons to wear them! aside from they look good, and are comfortable.

element02

Reaction score
I wear chelseas and chukkas to work with wool trousers and suede with khakis. I also wear the suede or country brogues on weekends with jeans.

Whether you work in the city or 'burbs, I think it comes down to what feels comfortable to you.

billiebob

Reaction score
I wear Jodhpurs with jeans and burgundy plaintoe open lace boots (ed green) with suits. I've gotten inquiry ranging from "cool boots" to "who are you, austin powers?" The Jodhpurs are better received than the EG boots with a suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads