• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lots of new toys to play with! :)

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Went shopping at Bicester Village and feel obliged to share the fruits of my labours with the forum. Feeling very happy. Though I didn't get any truly outstanding bargains, I did have a great time and a very good gossip with my three favourite store managers!
smile.gif

Zegna suit (only jacket pictured here):

Lovely light/medium fabric for summer. Will get lots of use out of this and a decent price considering it's this spring/summer's collection. The trousers have unusual buttoning detail - second buttonhole at the waist is on a tab (see pic below). Not sure what the purpose of this arrangement is? Any thoughts? Feels much like any other trouser to wear.

Bright, summery shirts from Loro Piana (bit pricey - but I always adore LP) and ties from RLPL:

And this thread wouldn't be fit for the forum without some shoe Appreciation:

Zegna Couture oxfords (remarkably well-priced at about £180):

Ferragamo Tramezza double monks:

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love those Zenga shoes.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, those Zegnas are awesome shoes.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hey, thanks for sharing your recent purchases-- everything you bought looks great! well done!

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnnyblazini
+1, but how did you get those for 180?

That's what the shop asked for.
smile.gif

Can't remember whether I negotiated an extra discount on this pair; I already got the suit alterations at Zegna for free, so didn't push for more money off the shoes I don't think so.

It's an outlet store and don't forget it's 180 pounds, not dollars, too.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Holdfast: I can't tell if this is what you mean, but if there is a tab with a button hole, and then another button hole in the "normal" area, I have seen this before; and its very common on Canali trousers.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Holdfast: I can't tell if this is what you mean, but if there is a tab with a button hole, and then another button hole in the "normal" area, I have seen this before; and its very common on Canali trousers.

Yep, that's exactly it. I've never seen it before, myself.

Is it meant to have any functional benefit, do you think? If it's on Canali trousers too, maybe it's a recognised Italian "flourish"?

The Zegna staff I asked didn't really have an answer.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am not sure if it is any more functional than the metal hook/eye clasp or whatever it is called, but I suppose it is more "traditional" in a sense.

I think you are correct about the "Italian flourish". All of the Canali trousers I own have the 2 button set-up, and I have some other Italian made trousers by other makers that also have the 2 buttons at the waist, as opposed to the metal clasp or single button. Not sure why, but I tend to prefer the two buttons, as opposed to the clasp. Maybe there IS a traditional bone in my body.
smile.gif

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Yep, that's exactly it. I've never seen it before, myself.

Is it meant to have any functional benefit, do you think? If it's on Canali trousers too, maybe it's a recognised Italian "flourish"?

The Zegna staff I asked didn't really have an answer.

Don't quote me on this, but I do belive it was started by Zanella. As a side note my Bill's have it,

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads