• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fighting while wearing Nice Clothes

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
and then a very short fight that ended with him coming down the stairs faster than me.

ok - that made me smile.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmulford
ok - that made me smile.

actually, it was pretty simple - I chased somebody up some stairs, on the 3rd flight I told him I was going to shoot him (which I didn't really plan on doing, but it did get him to stop). when he turned and saw that I hadn't drawn my gun, he made some sort of half assed attempt to hit me, and I punched him in the throat. as he was standing at the top of a flight of stairs, and I needed to get him to the bottom anyway, it seemed best just to toss him down the stairs. and, like potato chips, if you are tossing a guy down stairs, you really can't stop at one.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's never a good idea to fight with a tie on...In the hands of an adversary it can instantly transform you into a dog being controlled by a leash and collar. I understand this is why most police uniforms have clip-on ties.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
actually, it was pretty simple - I chased somebody up some stairs, on the 3rd flight I told him I was going to shoot him (which I didn't really plan on doing, but it did get him to stop). when he turned and saw that I hadn't drawn my gun, he made some sort of half assed attempt to hit me, and I punched him in the throat. as he was standing at the top of a flight of stairs, and I needed to get him to the bottom anyway, it seemed best just to toss him down the stairs. and, like potato chips, if you are tossing a guy down stairs, you really can't stop at one.

Just who the *hell* are you guys?! Now I'm actually scared...

On a more serious note, I'm hoping/guessing that you in were law enforcement in some form?

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
Just who the *hell* are you guys?! Now I'm actually scared...

On a more serious note, I'm hoping/guessing that you in were law enforcement in some form?

Was thinking that. I'm just a business weenie who hates playing in team sports - so went for solo sports like boxing. Having a gun to draw on the fly and throwing dudes down the stairs like a World Trade Center jumper - priceless.

This is from the guy who told me traveling to Dubai was no big deal. Maybe not to Mr John Wayne, now I have to rethink all that advice I got!

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
It's never a good idea to fight with a tie on...In the hands of an adversary it can instantly transform you into a dog being controlled by a leash and collar. I understand this is why most police uniforms have clip-on ties.

I'm certain its not an advantage, but not terribly different than dealing with standing grappling on lapels. Counter with wrist/elbow/collar bone control, or neck wrestling to close the control space. Honestly I'd be more worried about somebody cinching it and choking me with it!

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This seems like a situation in which a high armhole would be helpful.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Was thinking that. I'm just a business weenie who hates playing in team sports - so went for solo sports like boxing. Having a gun to draw on the fly and throwing dudes down the stairs like a World Trade Center jumper - priceless.

This is from the guy who told me traveling to Dubai was no big deal. Maybe not to Mr John Wayne, now I have to rethink all that advice I got!

no, really, I was just responsible for the security of a judge at the time, I was in school at the time, and it was a good part time gig. I was at the entrace of the ministry of justice and somebody ran into the building and didn't stop for the security guards. I was in a good position to stop him. funny thing is, he was just a stupid messenger who had authority issues. he ended up leaving he building in handcuffs and with a lot of bruises and no voice.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no, really, I was just responsible for the security of a judge at the time, I was in school at the time, and it was a good part time gig. I was at the entrace of the ministry of justice and somebody ran into the building and didn't stop for the security guards. I was in a good position to stop him. funny thing is, he was just a stupid messenger who had authority issues. he ended up leaving he building in handcuffs and with a lot of bruises and no voice.

well thank makes sense. isn't it almost always something stupid?

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
I prefer my fighting done with swords. Old Navy rules, first one to die, loses!

Swords are too lethal. A good ol' fashion knife fight is more to my liking. Especially if it involves choreographed dancing.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...I figured if someone is willing to push you...
He has assaulted you. You are within your rights to defend yourself.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by warlok1965
So this will probably end up in Dumb Threads. Today at the post office some big dude in front of me was berating the tiny lady standing between us in line about something, talking on the phone too loud or being in his personal space, whatever. He kept going on and I thought he was going to cross a line, and the thought went through my head, "****, I'm wearing leather soled shoes, a sport coat, dress shirt and slacks, this guy is 5 inches taller than me, and I'm going to have to step in between him and the woman and take the heat off her." In that moment I realized how disadvantaged I was in that situation due to my clothing, which would have prevented me from maintaining good footing and freedom of movement. Fortunately the guy calmed down and didn't get violent on her.
funny, I've had 3 instances in the post office myself in the past 2 months, but I was *that* guy yelling and berating someone for some stupid reason, one instance being the worthless **** that worked behind the counter and I ended up in a Larry David Curb Your Enthusiasm-worthy situation. Remember, just because a lady is tiny doesnt mean she can't be a total **** that deserves to be berated
Originally Posted by whodini
Why not just retitle this thread, "Ask GetSmart" and be done with it?
now why would we want to do that??
boxing[1].gif

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...2) More recently I had a guy who thought it was really funny to keep yanking my pocket square and pulling my tie. We were at a convention together...
This sounds extrordinary! Was he a co-worker? Your boss? I wonder whatever gave him the idea it was OK to assault you?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads