• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

zip front sweaters: Aye or Nay?

FELT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scohrdarkshadow
FIH, I understand what you mean. But at the same time, despite our wish for enduring style, we are still subject to trends, such as our movement away from sack suits and the your aforementioned flat front pants (for us thinner folk at least) . I merely wanted to gauge what others thought on the matter.

I don't think it's just a question of being influenced by trends (I think for most of us our judgements on style are coloured by something new seeming fresh and appealing). It's the phenomenom on here sometimes of surrendering all aesthetic judgement and letting others makes up your mind for you. For example, when someone posts a picture of two shoes and asks 'which one should I buy?'. I suppose that's ok if it's a question of which is suitable for a job interview (though are there any more dull threads?), or which maker has the better construction, but often it seems to be more like 'please tell me which one should I like?'.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HHD
There's also that "long sleeved wool polo shirt worn over a shirt" thing, which is quite common here in France among off-duty city boys. It looks good, until you try to wear a jacket.

Originally Posted by holymadness
Pics? I'm not sure I've ever seen this, or maybe I just don't know what you're referring to.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Niels
For home use and causal use it's practical and OK, but not for office

I concur 100%!

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
xposted from SWD. Love this (100% cashmere Bamford & Sons):

nvtsvb.jpg

9awrw7.jpg

1zx75zk.jpg

2exq7gh.jpg

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lately I have been tiring of zippers in general. perhaps due to wearing a nicer watch, I found that every 50th or 100th time I put a zippered jacket on, it hit against and scratched my watch

Now, I can't think of purchasing outerwear with zippers. buttons all the way

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
definitely aye, you can wear under spots coat once a while, or just by itself (harder to work with sports coat though).

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
I like 'em. Although as mentioned, not for the office. Don't care for them under a jacket either.

EZ

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nay. I just don't like them. I love sweaters. I wear sweaters with sport coats sometimes. I have plenty of zippered jackets. I just don't like mixing them. They strike me as something people that wear mock turtlenecks would wear
patch[1].gif

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by abrocketsfan
Is that a Blancpain Villeret on your wrist?

More on the topic, I think the half-zip, with it's high neck, is great for people with long or skinny necks. I think it adds some fullness and balance...

No, it's a simple Nivrel; the simplest I could find.

helemaalvoorkant400.jpg

The sweater is a full-zip, btw.

Mr. White

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
lately I have been tiring of zippers in general. perhaps due to wearing a nicer watch, I found that every 50th or 100th time I put a zippered jacket on, it hit against and scratched my watch

Yeah, the way a zipper taps my hand and belt buckle is real distracting and gets old real quick.

Originally Posted by crazyquik
They strike me as something people that wear mock turtlenecks would wear.

Half-zip mock turtlenecks are double mockery.

When I see a zipper, I always think that its wearer looks like a six-year-old who can't do buttons yet, or gets stuck trying to pull the sweater past his ears and cries until mommy comes to help. I just get the same negative gut reaction as when I see Velcro.

Oh yeah...NOBD, without getting personal about it, that Y inside a Y inside a Y look is too liney and repetitive, unlike the V of a V-neck sweater which has a definite end point. And it looks like some sort of clothing imitation of a *****, which can't be good on a man.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads