• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zegna shirt ruined me

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Please don't pay $375 for Zegna. With a little patience you can get it at many us outlets for under $100

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
Please don't pay $375 for Zegna. With a little patience you can get it at many us outlets for under $100

I would LOVE to see that.

ezlau

Reaction score

More like you can get it at the one and only, StyleForum
laugh.gif

billsayers

Reaction score
I hate my four Zegna shirts...bought them a few years ago and they have been stuck in my closet except for a couple of times I wore them.

How does a size 14.5 end up fitting like a tent? I am not talking about not slim like today's current trends, but big and loose like it would fit someone with a 14.5" neck but weights 200 lbs.

Agatha Crusty

Reaction score
Is there ever a reasonable excuse for paying near $400 for a shirt? I don't think so unless the customer has more money than good sense.
If you need it, the point of having a shirt made is that you can choose the cut. I mean going to shirt-maker, not choosing from online patterns. That gives you the choice to ask for whatever shape collar, cuff, waist you require, and also to choose your own fabric. There are shirt-makers who will do that for less than Zegna will charge for their name.

RTW shirts are the way to go for the majority of people since the fits are better and better if you buy carefully.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Agatha Crusty
Is there ever a reasonable excuse for paying near $400 for a shirt?

Why would "Because I want to" not be reasonable? Also, this statement is about as obtuse as saying "Is there ever a reasonable excuse for paying near $5000 for a suit?"

Consider, many men are required by their profession to dress according to certain strict dress codes where the things which allow one to stand apart from their peers is the fit and quality of the things that they buy and wear. Moreover, these positions have a tendency to be along the higher end of the pay spectrum. Since they have the available capital and are required by their profession to do such things anyway, it is not unthinkable that an enthusiasm for fine, tailored clothing would arise, perhaps in a certain RTW style, or in the decision to have pieces commissioned. Either way, given such things, and the predilection among such males towards dominant and competitive behavior, it is entirely reasonable that at the very least a certain subset of these men would choose to compete in such away, i.e. finding the best quality fit and fabric items (in this case shirts). Given that they do make lots of money, it's conceivable that price would not be an obstacle, and so if the thing they thought was best, or wanted most (which can end up not being the same thing) was $400 it's perfectly reasonable to think that they would buy such a thing. More over, if we (generally and without getting into specifics) take into account how the way they dress affects their level of success, they have a far more reasonable excuse than simply "because I want to."

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even better is pre-owned or NWOT. I couldn't even sell a recent NWOT Zegna dress shirt for $30 shipped! Ridiculous. Nice pattern and normal size, too. Went on eBay for some insane $15. Should have kept it...
baldy[1].gif

Agatha Crusty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mktitsworth
Why would "Because I want to" not be reasonable? Also, this statement is about as obtuse as saying "Is there ever a reasonable excuse for paying near $5000 for a suit?"

It's not obtuse my friend. I'm talking about the people not in the small subset of very highly-paid money-merchants jousting with clothes - and you can be sure most of these do not have the time or inclination to fool about on the internet in a clothes forum.

"Because I want to" is a legitimate reason from a personal perspective, if someone has more money than they know what to do with, but not reasonable.

Among normal people, no there isn't in most cases any reasonable excuse for paying over the odds for a suit. If a rich man wants to pay for a Huntsman good for him, if someone is selling his soul to afford a Huntsman he probably has disorganised priorities.

So on balance there probably is a time when there is a fair reason to pay top whack for clothes; for most of the people on here it never happens.

Neo1824

Reaction score
People get too hung up incredible deals sometimes (myself included). It's OK to pay retail on occasion if you can afford it and you love what you're buying. I have 3 assorted Zegna shirts and love them all. I will buy more!

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
I do not know cost comparison to Zegna's OTR shirts as I am too humble to afford such luxuries.
frown.gif

Try Goodwill. At $4.19, they can't be beat.
fistbump.gif

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Agatha Crusty
It's not obtuse my friend. I'm talking about the people not in the small subset of very highly-paid money-merchants jousting with clothes - and you can be sure most of these do not have the time or inclination to fool about on the internet in a clothes forum.

Then you should specify such things by saying something like "Is there ever a reasonable excuse for paying near $400 for a shirt if you are someone who is not-in-the-small-subset-of-very-highly-paid-money-merchants-jousting-with-clothes?" Especially in a forum like this where there are those roaming around for whom $400 for shirts is perfectly reasonable given their lifestyles, available resources, priorities, etc. If you want to speak about such people, then make that explicit, because most likely the group about which you are speaking in this sense is not the audience to which you will be speaking.

"Because I want to" is a legitimate reason from a personal perspective, if someone has more money than they know what to do with, but not reasonable.
Now you have the fun task of describing the difference between a reasonable excuse and a legitimate excuse, since you're splitting these hairs.

Among normal people, no there isn't in most cases any reasonable excuse for paying over the odds for a suit. If a rich man wants to pay for a Huntsman good for him, if someone is selling his soul to afford a Huntsman he probably has disorganised priorities.
Again, define normal in your context. Using what I would think of as normal, which does not violate your example as stated, if a normal man has saved the money to be able to buy a suit from huntsman without endangering his life or livelihood in the process, then the specifics of his personal purchases above and beyond that become arbitrary. What he spends his luxury money on is his own decision. Whether it is reasonable or not supposes knowledge as to why the purchase was made. Moreover, let's expand "Because I want to" into "Because I like it, in the process I am not causing harm to myself or my surroundings, and I feel that said purchase from huntsman will increase my personal quality of life as well as generally increasing my overall level of happiness." This is a perfectly sound judgement where there are no negatives and only positives to the purchase, which would make something perfectly reasonable to me.

Moreover, this analogy would be equivalent if he were to go out and buy a perfect condition 72 mustang or any number of other luxuries. Given this equivalence, it seems perfectly valid to generalize your argument to the existence of a set of luxuries such that you contend there is not a reasonable excuse for a normal man to ever purchase, regardless of whether he will or not. At which point this essentially becomes a value judgement regarding the acceptable maximum level of luxury for your normal man. If you can provide argument which supports this value judgement, please by all means share.

So on balance there probably is a time when there is a fair reason to pay top whack for clothes; for most of the people on here it never happens.
Whether it ever happens or not is an entirely separate question from the one you initially raised. The likelihood of the man who saves and buys from huntsman is low, but not zero, which by necessity makes his existence possible. Given that, it will again fall down to how you want to define reasonable, and whether or not anyone accepts your definition. Even then, I'm pretty sure whatever definition is come up with will not preclude the existence of a "reasonable excuse."

Quarks

Reaction score
I would pay $600 for a shirt if I like it. I could care less what other people think. It is my money, my taste, my decision. Family & friends have pissed on me for that, at the end of the day, I'm the one wearing & enjoying it. So I choose to keep my mouth shut on what I buy and just savour the moment & my new purchase.

So if you feel justified, buy it. If not, pass on it. That simple.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$300 Armani shirts ruined it for me. I did not like MTM as the shirt seemed too "goodfellas" to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads