• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zappos will still do free overnight shipping, they just aren't advertising it

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Sometimes I wonder if zappos actually operates out of a UPS hub...one time I got a pair of shoes in less than 24 hours from order to delivery. amazing.
Their warehouses are actually right next to some of the largest UPS hubs - this was done intentionally too, if I remember correctly.

dak244

Reaction score
Just got a pair of Sperry's on Monday that I ordered Saturday (AND MONDAY WAS A HOLIDAY!!)

Called the CSR b/c I didn't know the policy wasn't in effect anymore. I was just confirming stock and she told me they were doing either anymore. However, after I told her I saw the shoe on Sperry.com for cheaper she said she would still honor it. Then she said she would still upgrade shipping too.

She did tell me it was a one time thing though and they were discontinuing that policy. Hmm....

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Their warehouses are actually right next to some of the largest UPS hubs - this was done intentionally too, if I remember correctly.

I got my son a pair of Vans last Monday evening, it was around 8:30 when we actually submitted the order. They were on my doorstep at 11:00 the next morning. Insane! I have no idea how they do it. I am really glad that higher end retailers take about 10 times longer, or else I'd be remarkably broke.

Cheers,

Fok.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice new title Fok!!
crackup[1].gif
And I've also had packages arrive from zappos in under 16 hours. You can't beat that with a stick!

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by needshoehelp
They can do it because they have the highest prices around--generally more than list, and their sales are almost never more than 10% or so off. So most of the time, unless you price match, you're indeed paying for the overnight shipping.
They balance this out some - the higher priced shoes have this increase, as the people buying them are less sensitive to paying a few dollars extra, but the cheap shoes are typically MSRP. Regarding the shipping costs, once you start shipping stuff out in the hundreds to thousands on a daily basis, you can start negotiating prices with UPS, Fedex, and USPS (and get them into bidding wars in some cases). It still eats profits though, so I'd understand if they wanted to minimize it.

xD3C0Yx

Reaction score
yeah i bought a pair of half cab at zappo on monday night and i received them on tuesday night. i was surprised how fast it came.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anybody remember back when Outpost.com operated like this also? From the late 90's to early 00's I believe they shipped everything free next day Airborne Express. They were THE place to get computer stuff from. Then Fryes bought them, etc, and it's not the same site anymore. But yeah, Zappos isn't the first ecommerce site to take this overnight strategy.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
And I've also had packages arrive from zappos in under 16 hours. You can't beat that with a stick!

Try this:

I ordered a pair of cleats from Endless at 6:23PM local time yesterday (7 minutes before their 7:30PM EST cutoff), got shipping notification 2 hours later, and the shoes arrived around 10:30AM this morning. (shipped from KY to TX)

Pricematching was relatively painless as well. I just needed to copy and paste the link to a competitor's site with better price into an electronic form; no need to talk to a rep. and handhold them through the process (as I did a few times before with Zappos).

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It does suck that they don't pricematch anymore. I've bought a few pairs of running shoes recently from them that I wouldn't otherwise afford to buy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads