• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your most recent awkward moment

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jsoftz
Erm. Maybe a public forum is not the best place to post this. Was at a strip club last week, and ran into a girl I had a crush on when I was a freshman in High School. She was a very conservative girl, socially awkward and both of us could have easily been characterized as the high school nerd types. I always thought she was real skinny because she wore shapeless clothes. Anyhow, it turns out she is a stripper now.. she was extremely embarrassed and I have to admit it was very strange for me too, seeing her on the stage like that. We talked for maybe 30 minutes to a hour and caught up, but even that was pretty weird. Easily the most awkward experience I've ever had.
so did you buy a dance off her?
tounge.gif
I"D TOTALLY DO IT! That actually probably would be the best way to turn the awkwardness into fun!

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My awkward moments usually happened when I meet my classmates at their work place.

First, a few years ago I met a highschool classmate at a local strip club. She was skinny, a cheerleader, and a known slut. Still, seeing her on stage was really awkward as I went away for college, and she became a stripper. The thought of hitting it never crossed my mind. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that she slept with most of the basketball players, and a few wrestlers, football players thrown in for good measure. We had a few words, she showed be her infested cooch, then I went home.

Recently I saw a law school classmate at a local restaurant/bar place. She works there to make extra money. I know her, but we never really talk in school as she's the quiet type and I don't really hang around with the law kids much. So, I was with my gf, who's a law student, and her roommate, who's also a law student. We sat down, she saw us and came over. She said hi, I said hi back, then a good 3 seconds of silence passed. The then mumbled something and left. We didn't see her for the rest of the night. The whole thing was weird probably because both of us realized at that moment that, although we want to be nice to each other, we really know nothing about each other and furthermore have no desire to get to know each other. So, that was that.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
That's some awkward ****, I know how that is because I got fired from a job I worked at during college by the same kind of glazed, unpredictable, emotionless manager.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Fortunately, I've never run into any old high school aquaintances and probably never will. If I ever did, I'd probably force an awkward moment by saying, "How unfortunate that you're still alive!" Or better yet, refusing to acknowledge them in any way and denying having any memory of such a person if they recognized me and tried to make conversation.

The only person I've ever met who went to the same private school, I met in Calcutta. He expressed a similar hatred for the place, explaining that after graduating, he'd become a pothead in reaction to the oppressive authoritarianism of the place, though he never would have dreamed of smoking dope before. We had a good time recalling what unmitigated assholes certain people were.

Jsoftz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
so did you buy a dance off her?
tounge.gif
I"D TOTALLY DO IT! That actually probably would be the best way to turn the awkwardness into fun!

Erm. She volunteered and gave me one, but it was really weird. The song stopped early for one reason or another and she said she would keep going if I wanted but I just put the sorry dance out if its misery.

Not that it was a bad dance, it was just strange. She said she had to pretend I was just some random guy and didn't look at me directly when she was doing her thing. I did likewise and tried to pretend she was just some stripper.. didn't really work though. I enjoyed it at first (plus the novelty factor of it being a girl I used to have a crush on) but it quickly became weird. She gave me her number though and we'll probably grab lunch some time.

My encounter was a lot different than DarknWorn's, namely because this girl is the last person you'd ever expect to go into that sort of thing. Had her first boyfriend at 19.. to paint a picture (and I'm a little embarrassed to admit this) we first met at our high school's anime club.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
My awkward moments usually happened when I meet my classmates at their work place.

First, a few years ago I met a highschool classmate at a local strip club. She was skinny, a cheerleader, and a known slut. Still, seeing her on stage was really awkward as I went away for college, and she became a stripper. The thought of hitting it never crossed my mind. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that she slept with most of the basketball players, and a few wrestlers, football players thrown in for good measure. We had a few words, she showed be her infested cooch, then I went home.

Recently I saw a law school classmate at a local restaurant/bar place. She works there to make extra money. I know her, but we never really talk in school as she's the quiet type and I don't really hang around with the law kids much. So, I was with my gf, who's a law student, and her roommate, who's also a law student. We sat down, she saw us and came over. She said hi, I said hi back, then a good 3 seconds of silence passed. The then mumbled something and left. We didn't see her for the rest of the night. The whole thing was weird probably because both of us realized at that moment that, although we want to be nice to each other, we really know nothing about each other and furthermore have no desire to get to know each other. So, that was that.

Two of my classmates in law school danced at Mons Venus. It was well-known and they weren't shy about it. I had kind of an awkward conversation just this morning. Some new guy, Lance, at my job came around to introduce himself.
L - "Hey, I'm Lance"
R - "Hey, I'm Rodney.....are you from Cleveland?"
L - "From just outside there, yeah, how'd you know?"
R - "Your accent"
L - "People from Ohio don't have accents"
R - "Really? Then how'd I know you were from Ohio, Cleveland no less?"
L - "....Maybe because I don't have an accent?"
R - (in a subtle Cleveland accent) "Well, anyway, it was good to meet you, see ya around, Lance"

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jsoftz
Erm. Maybe a public forum is not the best place to post this.

Was at a strip club last week, and ran into a girl I had a crush on when I was a freshman in High School. She was a very conservative girl, socially awkward and both of us could have easily been characterized as the high school nerd types. I always thought she was real skinny because she wore shapeless clothes.

Anyhow, it turns out she is a stripper now.. she was extremely embarrassed and I have to admit it was very strange for me too, seeing her on the stage like that. We talked for maybe 30 minutes to a hour and caught up, but even that was pretty weird.

Easily the most awkward experience I've ever had.

this sounds like a fantastic opportuninty to me....

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
I remember I was walking along across the street from this hot girl I was checking out and she was smiling back at me when I ran into a pole.

Seriously thought this kinda stuff only happened in movies.

I did a similar thing a couple of years ago. I was crossing the street and looking at a hot girl and i stepped in a big puddle and got my pretty shoe wet.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I ran into an ex girlfriend once, with her husband and kids, and my wife and son. I hadn't thought about her for years, but I guess her husband had heard about me or something - he looked really unhappy to see me. we really didn't have anything to say to each other, but we sort of felt we should have, so it dragged on uncomfortably, with her husband glaring at me. it was pretty funny.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
this happens to me sometimes when i am on a plane by myself.

somebody sits next to me that for some reason has a need to try to make conversation with me.
i usually dont talk to anyone and am more comfortable not talking, unless there is something actually interesting to talk about or important.

but this person just needs to make small talk with me about such boring stuff. i dont know. sometimes he asks me where i am from, how's the weather there, what is the reason why i am flying, where do i work , and etc.

like cmon, i just want to rest. turn my head to the side and look out the window and fall asleep, but for some reason, i feel guilty doing that to him. i have a tendency to try to respond and put on a fake smile and force out a chuckle when he tries to say something funny. this is so tiring. i just wish i can get up and change seats.
or tell him, look i dont want to talk can you leave me alone for the next 4 hours??

but i cannot.
i sit there and go through hell for 4 hours.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty much anytime I am at the urinal and the guy next to me moans with relief or talks to me.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not recently, but I've run into an acquaintance of mine from HS from time to time at the local Best Buy, he works there now. As per what I was told by a friend of mine from HS who happens to also be friends with him: he basically married the first chick *********, they now have a daughter (he is 24 or 25 now), he has gotten fat and is even more of a nerd than I recall. He is still obsessed with making fun of a teacher we had back in HS...7 years ago! Every time I run into him he brings the teacher up, it's embarrassing and frankly I feel sorry for him.

Jon.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
this happens to me sometimes when i am on a plane by myself.

somebody sits next to me that for some reason has a need to try to make conversation with me.
i usually dont talk to anyone and am more comfortable not talking, unless there is something actually interesting to talk about or important.

but this person just needs to make small talk with me about such boring stuff. i dont know. sometimes he asks me where i am from, how's the weather there, what is the reason why i am flying, where do i work , and etc.

like cmon, i just want to rest. turn my head to the side and look out the window and fall asleep, but for some reason, i feel guilty doing that to him. i have a tendency to try to respond and put on a fake smile and force out a chuckle when he tries to say something funny. this is so tiring. i just wish i can get up and change seats.
or tell him, look i dont want to talk can you leave me alone for the next 4 hours??

but i cannot.
i sit there and go through hell for 4 hours.

Although if it's a good looking chick...it might be worth your while. On my way to Rome from Tel-Aviv I sat next to a cute chick and we started talking and I met up with her a few days later...which made my stay in Rome much more enjoyable.

Jon.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Although if it's a good looking chick...it might be worth your while. On my way to Rome from Tel-Aviv I sat next to a cute chick and we started talking and I met up with her a few days later...which made my stay in Rome much more enjoyable.

Jon.

That's a best-case scenario.

Usually, it's a fat, vulgar middle-aged woman who wears too much perfume.

Or the Chinese peasant who sat next to me on my last 14 hr. flight and kicked and elbowed me the entire time because he just didn't know any better (why such a diminutive person needed so much room is beyond me). I got my revenge by needing to get up to go to the restroom repeatedly while he was trying to sleep.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics