• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Young analyst just got fired

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinksimple
Thanks for quite possibly the most useless piece of advice one could give to this guy. He's taking onus for the situation he's in, and you contradicted yourself by saying that not everyone can be successful, yet success is of their own efforts. Anybody can find success, it's just a matter of hard work, focus, and a little bit of dumb luck.

He has time to turn it around...that's why it's on his shoulders. If you want to coddle him fine, I prefer the get up and get after it mentality.

boo

Reaction score
#3 The fact that they have you on these checkpoints means THEY HAVE ALREADY DECIDED TO FIRE YOU!. They are only doing this checkpoint process to discourage you from suing them for wrongful termination or what not. They are just covering their asses. Having been in your place, I wish you well. Edit: I'd just add that you learn something from this. I don't know you..maybe you're a ****** analyst. I think the more likely issue is that you're just not compatible with your boss's personality. Seek to avoid that situation in the future if you can.

Hannerhan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
People always say that, but please be specific as to why?

My opinion on that is that a possible employer is going to see that someone is out of a job and immediately ask "what happened there?" And if it wasn't a systematic layoff, that's a red flag. People would rather hire people who weren't fired from their last job if they have a choice. It's not the end of the world, but it puts you at a disadvantage.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just find another job. There are numerous reasons why smart people can't do certain jobs. I don't think I'd be good at stage acting, singing, accounting, etc.

Try to improve yourself but don't take it personally.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Analyst can be a pretty bad job for someone who isn't fit for it character wise. I imagine your work is good but maybe it just isn't your field. No job is for everyone, so try to find something that fits your personality and work pace instead of just shooting for analyst positions because that's where all your finance buddies are going.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would focus on #3. Start busting your ass to find a new job while you still have one. Expect to be asked why you're leaving your current job. Definitely don't say "I was getting fired for doing a ****** job"! Hopefully you can leave on good terms, that way when the HR person from your next company calls, your old company will say you're eligible to be rehired. Think about geographical relocation as well. It will make it much easier to explain away your leaving after a year.

Bentley

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your situation. I've been through the same thing myself.

You certainly sound like you have tried to take responsibility for your struggles and done everything you can to improve. However, I think your boss has some responsibility for the situation also. I think it's equally possible that he is not coping well with his own job and is projecting blame on you.

In any case, I think you're right that your days with your employer are numbered. With that in mind, I would suggest to start looking for a new job.

If you aren't able to find something before you get fired, it's not the end of the world. Just focus on what you learned while you were there and in upcoming interviews with new employers I'd just let them know that you worked as hard as you could but somehow it wound up not being a good fit.

You would be surprised how many people out there have been through similar experiences to what you're describing. Sometimes the job isn't a good fit for them; often, though, the problems are more a matter of the boss' not coping well and projecting blame on a subordinate.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
People always say that, but please be specific as to why?

for the same reason that women want you the moment they see you have a girlfriend.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
for the same reason that women want you the moment they see you have a girlfriend.

The key to being a good communicator is to understand your audience. In this instance, you've failed.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
I work in actuarial.
On notice but almostcertainly fired (boss hints) for contined defects in one particular task.. Owning an excel model.. I can't all the wholistic picture in how business decisions and changes require to be implemented in the model, which in itself is complex and thus making mistakes, missed by my self review.

Mistakes are unacceptable.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
The key to being a good communicator is to understand your audience. In this instance, you've failed.

laugh.gif
worship.gif
laugh.gif

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
Also, in all seriousness, is English the OP's first language? It doesn't seem like it.
True, but it doesn't help that I was using a crackberry to reply. I didn't bother to correct syntax. I'm in front of a computer now. I know, stuff happens and it sucks, but that's the reality of life. I am accepting it, and I'm just using the internet to generate any other ideas/options I have not yet considered, and studies have shown discussing and writing is therapeutic. In reply to earlier responses.. -Idea that I talk boss into keeping me on lower pay. I'll think about it, but as others have correctly stated, it is nearly a certain decision to dismiss, as I have already been given 6 weeks to show improvement, and I'm still not at expectations for someone 1 year into this role. -My long term goal is to get into buy sides funds mgmt or sell side research, possibly somewhere I want to go in the long run. It might be easier to argue I'm changing jobs for an break into these industries, but I agree it will be a VERY hard sell if I were to say I've been retrenched because of performance. -Consensus is on #3. Friends are supportive, I've been trawling industry contacts/friends for a new job. -Basically, the issue is performance related. By not seeing all the linkages in other projects on this project 'the bigger picture'. Not fully understanding and thinking through how best to implement structural changes in a complex excel model, caused errors/defects in the my work. This is one really bad outcome, and as such that's the basis for dismissal.

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am assuming that the ongoing problem lies, in essence, in your excel work.

That being the case have you considered the possibilty that you're not cut out for this kind of work, ie spreadsheets/ number crunching? In turn that would mean that you may want to relook your long term goals in sell side research.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads