• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

You should do it! I think shah is going to be in Paris during this period? Would be great if we could all attend the Yohji show (amongst others). I am trying to decide whether it would be worth going (and trying to figure out how to get invites). I should be winding down work on a new project if everything goes according to plan so it would not be a bad break. Hopefully the sun will be out as well. Any more takers?
Oh? Do tell!

Well, usually it's just a fun time to people-watch. There's a lot of "I saw so-and-so and s/he looked TERRIBLE", or 'guess who I just saw on the metro!", or "Gareth just invited me to his after-party, want to come hang out?" (I missed out, btw). Lots of models everywhere, lots of people rocking cool ****. Usually you can tell the models because they're freezing, are dressed horribly, and their hair is falling out :(

Last edited:

dantebykiko

Reaction score
Ivwri, I will try to sort you out ticket if you will be in Paris. I'm not sure for this season as I will be in Milan doing Missoni show, but will go next February for Yohji.

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i [re-]land in CDG on the 28th :teach:
if you don't mind the ghetto i know some places in 18th, if you don't mind the hawt-damn ghetto my homie mass-in-the-hood can hook up a spot in 93rd
[VIDEO][/VIDEO][/youtube]
Good stuff. Hmm, well I better get my act in order and figure out whether I am going to be able to make it and when.

http://www.verticelondon.com/blog/aw12/yohji-yamamoto-winter-2012-collection-sneak-preview/

Vertice London will stock Yohji for the AW season! Here is a sneak preview of some pieces. Hopefully they will sell these online too.

Every piece looks so beautiful it hurts.

Thanks for posting this. Those showroom pics definitely make me even more excited about this collection. Will be following up this post with the pieces I am most interested in from the collection. Anyone else interested in posting theirs? An AW12-13 wish list so to speak.

Well, usually it's just a fun time to people-watch. There's a lot of "I saw so-and-so and s/he looked TERRIBLE", or 'guess who I just saw on the metro!", or "Gareth just invited me to his after-party, want to come hang out?" (I missed out, btw). Lots of models everywhere, lots of people rocking cool ****. Usually you can tell the models because they're freezing, are dressed horribly, and their hair is falling out :(

Ah, well hopefully should be excellent. Think this might be the easiest time for me to get over there on a whim. Once kids get into the equation, all this stuff has to hit the back burner somewhat :satisfied:

Ivwri, I will try to sort you out ticket if you will be in Paris. I'm not sure for this season as I will be in Milan doing Missoni show, but will go next February for Yohji.

That would be great! I will message you once I am sure. Shame you may not be able to make it this time around.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
is this to suggest soon-to-be papa naija gonna deck the lil hustlers out in XXS sized yohji ????

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score

That sucks. This is the problem I have with the brand in general though, no consistency at all. Thanks for the heads up anyway.
I actually do have a friend that works with leather so I will see what she can wrangle for me.

100% right about Marsell consistency. I have awesome boots from them... very, very good quality everything. But I have seen total crap from them as well, in terms of style and construction. :confused:

Congrats on the (upcoming?) birth!

Last edited:

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

100% right about Marsell consistency. I have awesome boots from them... very, very good quality everything. But I have seen total crap from them as well, in terms of style and construction. :confused:
Congrats on the (upcoming?) birth!

Marsell seems to need some serious quality and creative control for sure. Definitely a try before you buy brand if there ever was one.

And, the baby is upcoming so thanks :). First trimester coming to an end pretty soon, hopefully everything goes well for the remaining period.

Last edited:

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, my AW12-13 wish list:

The whole suit. I love the button details and the width of the trousers. The fact that the suit opens up on the sides (not sure if that is adjustable, but would be a plus) as well just adds enough of a detail that definitely pushed me over the edge for sure. The boots look interesting as well. This suit and the cape are my "Must buy" items.

The pants. Been on the lookout for some navy pants and these look very cool in motion, my only reservation is how warm the fabric might be. ***

The jacket. I like the simplicity of this iteration best. Tempted by the pants as well.

I would be very surprised if these capes don't sell out immediately (in Japan at least). Definitely want one even if it may not get as much use as I would like. Love the cuff detail on the sleeves and the pouch pocket.

Guilty pleasure purchase. I dunno why, but the embroidered patches look great to me :).

I want at least one pair of red pants from this collection and this one might well be it. The pair in look 10 look pretty nice as well in motion, but not sure about the detail on the leg.

Pants. Like the double hem detail.

Hat, jacket, pants and boots. These pants also seem to have a double hem detail from the brief glimpse I caught in the video. Not sure though.

Love this suit. Would like to get it in another color though. Either navy or grey.

avery

Reaction score
this has probably been asked before, but who does Yohji use as models? lots of them don't look like typical runway models.

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

this has probably been asked before, but who does Yohji use as models? lots of them don't look like typical runway models.

I don't know if this applies to every one of his runway shows, but he has used his friends and sometimes his own staff on the runway before. I am also pretty sure he still has normal casting calls for his shows and probably just makes sure that they pull in more than the usual runway model. A lot of the people show up repeatedly so I am sure they probably have a pretty steady roster of people they can call on now.

dantebykiko

Reaction score
there are set of models in most of the big agencies where they have "unusual" and older models. depends how the brand wants to present their collection. margiela uses them quite often. of course they are mixed with top models pack. speaking of personal experience it's quite amazing during castings how top models like... fernando(cabral), daiskuke(ueda) can lift the whole outfit with their personality and walk.

curiouscharles

Reaction score

speaking of personal experience it's quite amazing during castings how top models like... fernando(cabral), daiskuke(ueda) can lift the whole outfit with their personality and walk.

I'd never really considered this... I suppose it shares some steez-related roots with that mysterious quality that makes the difference between someone being able to pull-off an outfit, or not pull it off.

Last edited:

asobu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to see continuing activity in this thread, I seem to have some catching up to do. But before I do that, this is important.

For anyone who still hasn't seen the women's AW 95-96 runway show, it's finally found its way out of the vaults. And it's glorious in every way. I was blown away by the AW94 show and it's still one of the best women's shows I've seen, and this is pretty much on par with that one. This moves away from the kimono themed 94 shows and into massive, amazing coat and cape territory. Some astonishing silhouettes and cuts here, especially watch the backs. Of course we get plenty of that wonderful gabardine in motion. Breathtaking stuff.

So we finally get to see these coats in motion:

FQo6S.jpg

qEvLD.jpg

LvTyV.jpg

AgbEs.jpg

GcHQF.jpg

oLVpr.jpg

Part 1 of 7, make sure you watch the whole thing:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads