• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit (Yohji Yamamoto Thread)

davidlee388

Reaction score
Ivwri that was an effortless fit :slayer: You have the right build for YY ( YY Runway Organizers take note ). That AW11 blazer is very nice, I can't remember seeing it in Conduit Street last Oct when my wife and I visited.....nor the shirt though I don't wear shirts very often ( I'm a Tee man ) so I seldom check the shirt racks. Those SS11 pants look so right on you, Wire and I both agreed :)

The SS11 blazer I have is silent but deadly IMO lol, subtle but elegant, the right kind of patchwork construction for me, unlike the OTT CDG counterparts.

That Contrast Panel SS11 you are chasing is a 2B iteration with intricate box pleats and buttonless sleeves. It was once stocked in Hervia and LN-CC, someone bought sz 2 from both before me :(
It is exactly the same cut ( old school Yohji fit = great ) as the Look 31 Embroidery Blazer ( a fit post pending ).

Btw we will be checking out the full AW12 PH and Femme collections in less than 3 weeks in Paris. Underwhelming PH season or stellar collection? To be found out ( my Hervia visit didn't really count ).

Last edited:

fireflygrave

Reaction score

Something simple and comfortable ( and posted briefly before )

Stand collar look

YYPH SS11 Contrast Panel Blazer ( HO-J18-806 ) 100% cotton, dry hand, thin fabric. Matt black, half body lined in fabric, sleeves in cupro. No shoulder pads, size 3 for a nice boxy fit. 5B closure ( unusual for a short jacket ), big notch lapels, 6th button for a stand collar look, 2B working sleeves, 2 large patch pockets. Left front panel in navy ( not lapel ) for that Yohji twist. The sleeves have a " curved " construction which I've never come across before, making the sleeves appear shorter at the front and follow the arms perfectly. Supremely comfortable.

YYPH SS09 Drawstring Pants ( HV-P14-031 ) thin 100% cotton, size 3, drawstring waist with belt loops, drawstring hems, 2 front and back patch pockets with fabric 3D extension on front left.

SS Tee, Y-3 Hejarklack Leather Hi-tops.

This jacket made me sit up and look closer at my computer screen. amazing piece and amazing fit :slayer:

esox

Reaction score
Something simple and comfortable ( and posted briefly before )

Stand collar look

YYPH SS11 Contrast Panel Blazer ( HO-J18-806 ) 100% cotton, dry hand, thin fabric. Matt black, half body lined in fabric, sleeves in cupro. No shoulder pads, size 3 for a nice boxy fit. 5B closure ( unusual for a short jacket ), big notch lapels, 6th button for a stand collar look, 2B working sleeves, 2 large patch pockets. Left front panel in navy ( not lapel ) for that Yohji twist. The sleeves have a " curved " construction which I've never come across before, making the sleeves appear shorter at the front and follow the arms perfectly. Supremely comfortable.

YYPH SS09 Drawstring Pants ( HV-P14-031 ) thin 100% cotton, size 3, drawstring waist with belt loops, drawstring hems, 2 front and back patch pockets with fabric 3D extension on front left.

SS Tee, Y-3 Hejarklack Leather Hi-tops.

simple but very nice.
smile.gif

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments and thumbs guys! Actually felt pretty cool with myself when I went out and ended up meeting a few fashion designers at a friend's party. One of them worked out of Tokyo for a while and still does some manufacturing there. Was nice to be able to say Yohji and someone knew who I was talking about, lol.

And yeah david I also missed out on the one that ln-cc had. I kept on waffling about picking it up until it vanished in my size. There was one on farfetch I actually even paid for only for them to come back and tell me that they didn't receive payments from Nigeria so they canceled my order :fu:. Looking forward to your own impressions from the flagship when you get there. Please do try on the look 17 jacket if they have it :D.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
thanks Valter. Penelope also has the Look 10 jacket I like. That price tag sure is steep though, especially for a cotton blend. I hope Spring 13 is not quite as dear.

edit: I noticed Just One Eye has it too, as well as a black gab version with horn buttons. nice.

Last edited:

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From Encens. Sorry for the poor quality, but I snapped the pic at the newsstand while browsing. Pants are Damir and shoes are Vans :)slayer:)

Ivwri, love that recent fit. I know it's generally recommended that you just roll your YY pants if they're too long, but my pair is so long that I think I'm just going to have to hem them. The length of yours looks just about perfect to me.

davidlee388

Reaction score
YYPH AW04

Another view

YYPH AW04 Look 25 Snap Back Blazer ( **-J06-014 ) - 100% black cotton iteration of the Runway wool one, heavy, woven, canvas like fabric. Size 2, a long blazer rather than a short coat because of the fit, generous for a blazer. I've been informed this piece was inspired by a tent. So apart from the usual notch lapels, 3B closure, 3B working sleeves, 2 inside pockets and a chest pocket of a normal blazer.....

It has the tent aspirations of being completely unlined, heavy canvas fabric, decorative metal eyelets and fabric pulls on large bottom pocket flaps. Metal eyelet on left cuff, almost random patchwork construction of the panels. The best bit ( predictably for YY ) is the overlapping back panels fastened by 2 rows of 5 snap studs, just like closing a tent. Opening them allows an interesting change of silhouettes and adds extra dimension in motion. Fun, original and creative. So many great stuff from AW04.

YYPH AW04 Zipper Pants ( **-P12-100 ) - another masterpiece from AW04. Size 3, button-adjustable waist, zipped hems for a cropped fit and usual excellent 100 wool gab.

Y's x Dr. Martens AW08 Boots ( ME-E53-752 ) size 2.

SS Tee, CDG H+ Belt.

Last edited:

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks p4. I have some pants that are super long on me and I manage to get by with just rolling them up, but I think it's best you do what's comfortable for you :).

Thought I would post the Y-3 SS13 show video. Haven't finished watching it, but a lot of the women's pieces look pretty nice to me (also navy & black works really nice when it shows up!). Must pick up a pair of shorts when this collection hits the racks!

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

Ivwri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finished the video and I really like the collection. The women's was really good, but the men's stuff was also solid although I don't see much that I personally was interested in, the fabrics looked pretty interesting. I can very easily imagine Y-3 leading people to the mainline as quite a few things are pretty Yohji (especially on the women's side) while still being different enough to have a bit of its own identity I think. The new creative director - Dirk Schönberger I believe? - is definitely doing a good job if the last couple of seasons have been any indication.

Yohji's outfit for the show was also really cool as well -

davidlee388

Reaction score

Finished the video and I really like the collection. The women's was really good, but the men's stuff was also solid although I don't see much that I personally was interested in, the fabrics looked pretty interesting. I can very easily imagine Y-3 leading people to the mainline as quite a few things are pretty Yohji (especially on the women's side) while still being different enough to have a bit of its own identity I think. The new creative director - Dirk Schönberger I believe? - is definitely doing a good job if the last couple of seasons have been any indication.
Yohji's outfit for the show was also really cool as well -

Sounds like you are now a Y-3 convert my friend :)

Y-3 pieces, when chosen carefully, can really blend well with PH/Y's pieces, offering a tangible saving on the ' real ' stuff. In fact it's a shame its real Yohji-inspired serious Exclusives are now history. If I post some Exclusives with YY stuff I doubt people will notice they ain't YY, even down to the Yohji buttons. One thing I noticed though is for the past 2 or so seasons, the avant garde creativity of Y-3's male footwear has gone downhill. They now look a lot more Adidas than Yohji, a tad too sporty. The sneakers from say pre-SS11 were quite inspirational.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads