• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yet another bespoke blazer

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered a blazer from a tailor in Los Angeles (Enzo Caruso) today. It will be made from Cape Kid, SB 3-roll-2, 3-patch, with oxidized brass buttons. I believe this is the cloth:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/british...7619509370577/

The sticker on the back has a 5-digit number, and I believe the last 3 digits are 509.

I'm not sure how to line it. Right now, we're doing full-lining, but the cloth seems to be calling out for quarter-lining. How does Cape Kid handle not being fully lined?

This will be the second piece from him, so we're still playing with the details. The first jacket was a bit too slim in silhouette, so we're incrementally increasing various things, but mostly stuff around the chest. His style is clean and tight, which is a bit different than what I'm used to with my other tailor.

I almost went for an electric blue from H&S English Mohair, but am glad I didn't after just reading the comments here on that line of cloth. Originally, this blazer was supposed to be done with a dupioni silk, but we couldn't find the right color, so mohair it will be. There is still surface interest, but in a different way. The blazer will hopefully be versatile enough to go with jeans as well as wool pants.

--Andre

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
My mohair suits are unlined. I am not sure it matters much, as the weave is not open enough to let through much air.

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
I ordered a blazer from a tailor in Los Angeles (Enzo Caruso) today. It will be made from Cape Kid, SB 3-roll-2, 3-patch, with oxidized brass buttons. I believe this is the cloth:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/british...7619509370577/

The sticker on the back has a 5-digit number, and I believe the last 3 digits are 509.

I'm not sure how to line it. Right now, we're doing full-lining, but the cloth seems to be calling out for quarter-lining. How does Cape Kid handle not being fully lined?

This will be the second piece from him, so we're still playing with the details. The first jacket was a bit too slim in silhouette, so we're incrementally increasing various things, but mostly stuff around the chest. His style is clean and tight, which is a bit different than what I'm used to with my other tailor.

I almost went for an electric blue from H&S English Mohair, but am glad I didn't after just reading the comments here on that line of cloth. Originally, this blazer was supposed to be done with a dupioni silk, but we couldn't find the right color, so mohair it will be. There is still surface interest, but in a different way. The blazer will hopefully be versatile enough to go with jeans as well as wool pants.

--Andre

Andre,

Sorry about that, I haven't had a chance to fill in all the numbers for Summer Cape Kid just yet. That is indeed the following cloth number.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
The blazer will hopefully be versatile enough to go with jeans as well as wool pants.

--Andre

Pick a different cloth if this is what you want.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As to the lining- I'm becoming of a mind that full lining is rather superfluous except, perhaps in a particularly scratchy cloth.

I don't feel like I need any added warmth and would rather show the work of a nicely-finished, mostly (1/4) unlined jacket.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My tailor insists on full lining even on linen blend summer cloths; he argues that half lining doesn't really make the jackets much more "cool" and can make them to "floppy" (rough translation from the Spanish language used by my tailor). I do not know whether to trust him or not. I heard that half lined jackets can imply more work, so maybe he is just a lazy bastard.
In any case, aren't blazers supposed to be NAVY? The cloth in image seems more like kind of light blue cloth (or is it my computer?). Now,if light blue, it would probably look better with kind of white buttons than with brass or gold buttons. IMO. Which is likely to be wrong.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
My tailor insists on full lining even on linen blend summer cloths; he argues that half lining doesn't really make the jackets much more "cool" and can make them to "floppy" (rough translation from the Spanish language used by my tailor). I do not know whether to trust him or not. I heard that half lined jackets can imply more work, so maybe he is just a lazy bastard. In any case, aren't blazers supposed to be NAVY? The cloth in image seems more like kind of light blue cloth (or is it my computer?). Now,if light blue, it would probably look better with kind of white buttons than with brass or gold buttons. IMO. Which is likely to be wrong.
Partial lining is a gimmick. It does actually take more work to make a half or quarter lined jacket look nice but who cares? Just having something done because it's harder to make for the tailor does not make the garment better or nicer or anything.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Partial lining is a gimmick. It does actually take more work to make a half or quarter lined jacket look nice but who cares? Just having something done because it's harder to make for the tailor does not make the garment better or nicer or anything.

Meh- I personally find it noticeably cooler. I also am growing to prefer the lightness/less bulk.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
My mohair suits are unlined. I am not sure it matters much, as the weave is not open enough to let through much air.

OK, thanks. The swatch looked kind of transparent, but I guess looks can be deceiving.

Originally Posted by AndrewRogers

Thanks Andrew. That's the number.

Originally Posted by Despos
Pick a different cloth if this is what you want.

I'm guessing here, but do you think it will not be appropriate with denim because of the texture?

The Sunbeam cloth would be a better choice. Metal buttons with a mohair blazer sounds like a really bad idea.

Why is that? I have no experience with mohair, and would like to understand this. The buttons are pretty oxidized and a dull dark brown.

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Sic transit mahonium americus.

Just one more excuse to stuff myself in a plane for 11 hours, and visit England.

Thanks for the well-wishes (guinea piggy or otherwise)!

--Andre

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
OK, thanks. The swatch looked kind of transparent, but I guess looks can be deceiving. Thanks Andrew. That's the number. I'm guessing here, but do you think it will not be appropriate with denim because of the texture? Why is that? I have no experience with mohair, and would like to understand this. The buttons are pretty oxidized and a dull dark brown. Just one more excuse to stuff myself in a plane for 11 hours, and visit England. Thanks for the well-wishes (guinea piggy or otherwise)! --Andre
I've seen many different weaves for mohair cloth. I think you can have them make mohair look like denim but not wear it with denim. Mohair is too slick to be a blazer, it's better for a city afterhours suit whether it's an upscale, trendy restaurant or some cocktail get to gether at a museum/opera house. An odd jacket would be better if it had texture, duppioni silk, that sunbeam cloth, high performance cloth with a pebble-y texture, cashmere twill or herringbone, even fresco. The metal buttons, irrespective of their weight are too heavy for the mohair and in any case will look cheap together.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
An odd jacket would be better if it had texture, duppioni silk, that sunbeam cloth, high performance cloth with a pebble-y texture, cashmere twill or herringbone, even fresco.

hell-freezes-over1.jpg

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads