1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 721LTD Shell Cordovan 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Crane's, Oct 21, 2010.

1. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Well-Known Member

LOL. The gf got me some of the Defender, too! I'm going to try it on my Aldens.

Nice! My CXL 1K's are due for something. I'll give it a try, thanks.

2. patrick_b

patrick_b Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the pics CI. Does the 744 fit the same as standard 1K's or are they TTS. If they are different, would you say they are a roomy last, like the 1K's?

3. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Well-Known Member

I went TTS on mine, and they feel that way to me. I don't own any other Wolverines, so cannot compare.

4. FENWAY

FENWAY Well-Known Member

721 Horween next to it's cousin #8 Alden
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  5. patrick_b

patrick_b Well-Known Member

It really shows the different shade unique to Alden #8. AE & Wolverine burgundy are so different. My preference is for Alden's color 8.

6. FENWAY

FENWAY Well-Known Member

^ Agree, but I will say the recent batch of Alden #8 is the darkest I've seen

7. Astronaut888

Astronaut888 Well-Known Member

Saw the 744LTD shell boot today at my local Tanger outlet mall Allen Edmonds store.

this boot
    http://leffot.com/shop/wolverine-744-ltd-pre-order/

Had in a number of sizes......mine (7D) was available and I tried on. What a nice boot

They were selling the boot for $399 which seems like a great deal.

Didn't kop........don't really love the cap toe and certainly don't presently need another pair of boots......but, may make it back there if they stay on my mind!

8. Astronaut888

Astronaut888 Well-Known Member

oh, they fit pretty true to size as well..........

9. zielschuss

zielschuss Well-Known Member

10. wdahab

wdahab Well-Known Member

Crane's, I'm curious about these 721 pictures, namely the color of the boot in them. I'm thinking it may be a white balance thing, but they look completely brown, almost like what my 744s started out as. I'd love to know what color they look like after all this time, if those aren't an accurate portrayal of their color. I would think they'd have stayed a deep red/cherry, with maybe some yellow/brown highlights.

My friend who copped a pair of 721s accidentally earlier this year from AE decided he doesn't want them anymore (boots aren't really his thing) and is letting me get them at his cost. So I'm getting ready to either LP or sno-seal mine. I think my 744s ended up a bit too dark for my taste after the sno-seal (a uniform super-dark chocolate brown) though they are wearing nicely. But it seems like people are getting much lighter colors with sno-seal on their 721s.

I should buff up my 744s and post at some point.

11. TactileOne

TactileOne Well-Known Member

I have a question about a pair of 744 I recently bought on ebay. I noticed a section of one toe cap was a darker shade than the rest. When I rubbed the area I ended up with a red spot with a slight scratch in the middle. The scratch does not concern me, but I'm wondering what's going on here, and how to rectify it.

12. wdahab

wdahab Well-Known Member

If you bought them on ebay, they are almost certainly of seconds quality, especially if they don't have a number out of 1000 written on the insides of the tongue (though I suppose that could be forged). I've seen on SF this happen with seconds that come out of Allen Edmonds, where the issue that makes them seconds is inconsistent coloring of the leather. When that happens, they will usually polish just that spot, and sell them anyway.

There is no way to "rectify" it, if it's a discoloring of the leather, as it would have occurred in the dyeing. There are two options I'd recommend to cover it up, depending on whether you want to use these as dress boots or as boot boots. For the first, get some brown shell polish, and just keep your shoes polished. For the second, oil and sno-seal/LP them. They'll darken up, which will cover up the blemish. My 744s look gorgeous darker, but they did lose the beautiful Cigar color. They are, though, excellent boot boots.

13. TactileOne

TactileOne Well-Known Member

Seller thought they were over runs, but I think seconds. I got a very good deal and intent to wear them as boot boots, though I do plan on taking good care of them. Have a thing for good leather, my only other boots are Wolverine original 100 miles in color8, love the chromexcel.

14. wdahab

wdahab Well-Known Member

Grails showed up today. Only worn 2-3 times or so. Gonna give them a bit of oil. They must have been in a warehouse for nearly 2 years. [​IMG]

15. FENWAY

FENWAY Well-Known Member

^ Interested to see how they appear after an oiling. Mine are the lighter shade of 8 like yours...debating darkening them

16. aldenfan

aldenfan Well-Known Member

What model are the Alden's and where did you source them from?

Thanks!

17. FENWAY

FENWAY Well-Known Member

^ They're the Alden AF53 from Alden of Carmel

18. aldenfan

aldenfan Well-Known Member

Awesome, thanks!!!

19. jonnyindy

jonnyindy New Member

So, I've worn my 1000 mile Krause boots for about 4 months, and now I'm looking for a pair of 721's hiding out there some where...

What I'm wondering is, does anyone use insoles with these boots? If so, what do you recommend?

20. FENWAY

FENWAY Well-Known Member

Ashland Leather's color 2 shell wallet matches up nicely with the LTD 721
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.