• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 721LTD Shell Cordovan 1000 Mile Boot Review

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree with everything that you say here.  If you're the type to wear your boots to the office and back, then maintenance will probably be somewhat minimal (especially if you drive door to door).  It would seem to me that the cheaper the shoe, the more it would have to rest between wears as well.  Barring the boots being really damp, I wouldn't think wearing the same pair of boots everyday would necessarily hurt them.  I do understand giving them a rest every now and then though, especially if you're particularly rough on them. 

Boots were delivered today and are waiting for me for when I leave work.  Can't wait to see them in person (which I have yet to do).

You'll like them. Post pics if you can.

thams

Reaction score
The 721LTDs are, to say the very least, awesome. The style (i.e. wingtip) is much less pronounced when the boot is on -- which I like a lot. Out of the box, the boots were soooooo waxy, which I didn't mind. It just means they're saturated with oil goodness. I took a rag to them followed by a brush. A lot of it came off, but it'll be sometime before they stop seeping. I'll just have to be diligent about wiping/brushing. They're comfortable as hell and only slightly stiff. All around great quality -- I can tell they'll be around for a long time.

Also, I replaced the laces with the wax cord ones that AE so kindly included with the purchase. I think they dress the boot up a fair bit.

And now, photos (sorry for the amateur shots):

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The 721LTDs are, to say the very least, awesome.  The style (i.e. wingtip) is much less pronounced when the boot is on -- which I like a lot.  Out of the box, the boots were soooooo waxy, which I didn't mind.  It just means they're saturated with oil goodness.  I took a rag to them followed by a brush.  A lot of it came off, but it'll be sometime before they stop seeping.  I'll just have to be diligent about wiping/brushing.  They're comfortable as hell and only slightly stiff.  All around great quality -- I can tell they'll be around for a long time.

Also, I replaced the laces with the wax cord ones that AE so kindly included with the purchase.  I think they dress the boot up a fair bit.

Yours look especially great. And the Horween stamp has huge bonus value!

thams

Reaction score
GJ on the HOrween stamp. What size are those?

They're size 8.5.

I plan on taking pictures as they wear so folks can see how they age. I expect there won't be any huge differences in the appearance of the leather, but it should eventually take on a sweet patina.

Cayman09

Reaction score
Here are a couple of pictures of mine after wearing them for nearly a month. I love these boots. I plan on doing little in the way of brushing and polish from here on out. I prefer a more worn look and will see what develops.

globaldev

Reaction score
so I have been wearing my 721s for about 2 weeks... these are some sweet boots. love the subtle wingtip on the toe box.

I went with an 11 and while they could stand to be a tiny bit wider for me, they are plenty acceptable and have stretched enough to fit nicely and not fret or show regret about the width.. however, initially fitting made me consider wanting to go up a size.. can't wait until these really wear in and fit like a glove and I totally see that happening.

wearing these is enough to make me want to have all my shoes in shell cordovan... i could see one of my neighbors who is very into fashion eyeing these and wondering what I was wearing...

i haven't seen anyone mention the two-tone nature (doesn't mean they haven't), i don't exactly understand why it's like that since it's not advertised as such. anyone have any rationale? not that it bothers me, but i was just curious.

Last edited:

Dayman

Reaction score
so I have been wearing my 721s for about 2 weeks... these are some sweet boots. love the subtle wingtip on the toe box.
I went with an 11 and while they could stand to be a tiny bit wider for me, they are plenty acceptable and have stretched enough to fit nicely and not fret or show regret about the width.. however, initially fitting made me consider wanting to go up a size.. can't wait until these really wear in and fit like a glove and I totally see that happening.
wearing these is enough to make me want to have all my shoes in shell cordovan... i could see one of my neighbors who is very into fashion eyeing these and wondering what I was wearing...
i haven't seen anyone mention the two-tone nature (doesn't mean they haven't), i don't exactly understand why it's like that since it's not advertised as such. anyone have any rationale? not that it bothers me, but i was just curious.

Shell seems be like that often, take a look at the Alden shoe thread on here. It seems to happen more often with Whiskey and lighter shades of shell than the dark, but it does happen all the time. Can't tell you for sure why, but im assuming since its harder to produce(Horween takes 6 months to tan shell)that its also harder to be 100% consistant in color. At least your lighter parts match on both boots I've seen many with both shoes different shades.

seer

Reaction score
The 721LTDs are, to say the very least, awesome. The style (i.e. wingtip) is much less pronounced when the boot is on -- which I like a lot. Out of the box, the boots were soooooo waxy, which I didn't mind. It just means they're saturated with oil goodness. I took a rag to them followed by a brush. A lot of it came off, but it'll be sometime before they stop seeping. I'll just have to be diligent about wiping/brushing. They're comfortable as hell and only slightly stiff. All around great quality -- I can tell they'll be around for a long time.

Also, I replaced the laces with the wax cord ones that AE so kindly included with the purchase. I think they dress the boot up a fair bit.

Stunning! Some day when I grow up...

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are these considered work boots, or not? looks like they can be used for hiking too.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you look back Crane's talks about using them for that reason. He beats the hell out of his Addisons too.

Yep and don't forget about my brown pair of original 1Ks which have been resoled commando style. The Addisons are about due for a resole and I'm still on the fence on what's going to be done to them. Probably a half sole but an aggressive full sole is so tempting. Once they make it to the cobbler then the trees are coming out of the 721s. Just in time for Missouri's muck season.

Dayman

Reaction score
Yep and don't forget about my brown pair of original 1Ks which have been resoled commando style. The Addisons are about due for a resole and I'm still on the fence on what's going to be done to them. Probably a half sole but an aggressive full sole is so tempting. Once they make it to the cobbler then the trees are coming out of the 721s. Just in time for Missouri's muck season.

I forgot all about the brown 1ks. You'll have to post some pics of those as well. I'd like to see them in commando style!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pablobob