1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rollin Tumble, Feb 1, 2010.

1. h0rse27

h0rse27 New Member

I purchased some Wolverine 1000 Mile Krause boots (factory seconds) from the Allen Edmonds outlet store and was a bit disappointed when I received them in the mail.

What I got
    [​IMG]

This is what I was expecting.
    [​IMG]

Aren't the 1000 Mile Krause boots suppose to come with the brown soles? I liked them a lot better with the color contrast of the black leather on brown soles and stitching. from the

2. L.R.

L.R. Well-Known Member

This is just a regular snow seal method? Should Obenaufs be applied as well, and if so, in what order?

3. EdwardB

EdwardB Well-Known Member

This. They're not supposed to be refined, they look better beat up, so any minor defect will just add character. Can't speak for anyone else, but I'll probably do 2x layers of Obenauf's annually and otherwise forget about maintenance.

I think it also has to do, to an extent, about pricepoint. I was going back and forth between a pair of Alden boots at roughly 500 and these for 300. If I got the Aldens, I'd most likely be babying them and not putting them through any rigorous activity. Not that 300 is a small amount of money by any means, but I feel like in some way, it's led me to not worry/obsess over maintenance and for me, that's part of the appeal of these over higher-end stuff.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  4. zinc2162

zinc2162 Well-Known Member

I have the same tan Krause. It seems that the waxy leather isn't taking the polish in. Do you suggest to saddle soap it even they are right out of the box?

5. Crane's

Crane's Well-Known Member

No and I explained why at great length at least several dozen times already. You treat first to keep the leather nourished and protected. This supersedes this endless fiasco of trying to get them to look like Lobb shoes. They are boots made from a very specific type of full grain leather that in general doesn't take to wax very well. I'll go so far as to say if you do manage to get them to look like some super expensive hand made shoe then the leather is most likely very dry and you can bet disaster isn't too far behind.

6. althanis

althanis Well-Known Member

I don't really like the creasing, but yeah, they're workwear boots. Having said that, my next pair of boots are going to be something a lot more refined. This one fills a niche in which I only really need one pair of boots to fill up.

7. zinc2162

zinc2162 Well-Known Member

Crane, your advice on nourishing the leather was the first thing I followed. I did treat my boots with conditioner when I got them. Since my boots are "seconds", part of the leather seems to have loss some finishing and I just want to replenish the color.

8. Crane's

This type of leather darkens over time from sun and exposure to the air and elements. I would rub some oil on the spot first and see what happens. If that doesn't work a little bit of creme wax should do the trick.

As far as this whole creasing thing is concerned it's not a defect or anything along those lines. It is nothing more than a characteristic of this type of leather.

I've also warned people of the hazards of buying seconds. Enough people have posted pics to prove once again that being cheap and worrying about a few bucks is no deal at all. At least when it comes to this product line. Expecting first quality from seconds is a fools errand and is an unreasonable expectation.

9. izzyfuld

izzyfuld Well-Known Member

10. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Well-Known Member

Heh, I gathered.

I got clip-ins for that. [​IMG]

11. patrick_b

patrick_b Well-Known Member

I did too. I has this image of a spandex & 1K boot clad Mario battling the elements [​IMG].

2 people like this.
  12. EdinLA44

EdinLA44 Member

Hi folks,

Just got my brown 1Ks yesterday (thanks Crane's).

What's the consensus on using shoe trees with your 1Ks? Pros/Cons? Any particular brand?

Ed

13. StraightDope

StraightDope Active Member

2 people like this.
  14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Looks like this is going to actually happen next week...

15. Crane's

That's fine Fok, that'll give everyone time to get ready for it.

16. Roguls

Roguls Well-Known Member

Where can the Tan Krause boots be found?

17. Crane's

Cranes Store

18. acousticfoodie

acousticfoodie Well-Known Member

Could be that's why it's a second?

19. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

Yes. The Krause is Horween Dublin leather and is NOT the same as most leathers. Dublin is Essex leather (tanned like shell) with a waxy finish There is a reason AE is making the Krause. Dublin is also used in the AE rough collection which I have 3 shoes in, and all 3 leathers have a slightly different finish. Just as the Krause in russet is a different leather finish than the tan.

A word of caution, I normally use Obenhauf’s leather oil on my bison leather boots, and occasional use it to touch up in between applications of HDLP on chrome tanned boots. When I was treating several pairs of bison boots I decided to also treat my AE rouch collection Black Hills with the leather oil. And the next day it looked like the leather Gods had puked all over my shoes. It took 2 weeks of saddle soaping them every night to get them back to normal. You have to be careful in using products on exotic leathers like Dublin.

I was hoping the Krause would be like the Elgin which is very waxy and a great color and finish IMO.

AE says for care of the Elgin: These types of leathers can be cleaned using a damp cloth to remove dirt and any residue. Follow by using a soft cloth to apply Allen Edmonds Leather Lotion , which has been specifically formulated for these leathers.

That is it, just water and AE leather lotion which is the same as Bicks 4.

For my McTavish it says: Use Allen Edmonds Conditioner Cleaner to remove surface residue and to keep leather soft and pliable. Follow by applying Allen Edmonds Saddle Soap which cleans all smooth leather shoes while restoring the leather's natural oils.

When I got my McTavish one shoe was a bit darker than the other, and yes they are firsts. The overall color was a bit lighter than I hoped just like the tan Krause. The leather between the McTavish and Krause is pretty much identical from what I can tell. seer had already treated his McTavish with neatsfoot oil to darken them so despite the issues with the Black Hills and oil figured it was safe. It was and by using a couple of extra coats on the lighter shoe I was able to match them both:

Elgin on left, McTavish on right with right shoe being darker out of the box:

[​IMG]

After leveling out the color with neatsfoot oil:

[​IMG]

The Krause were the same, one was slightly lighter than the other. Using saddle soap helps break the finish up so that any product applied can more evenly sink in. When dying leather shoes a deglazer is used but I would not use such a product on Dublin leather, the saddle soap is safe. In this case I used shoe cream instead of neatsfoot oil to even the color out. I was happy with the color that the cream provided and I finished with wax paste polish. It turned out very well. And they have a much better finish and protection against the elements than out of the box which is a lot more of a dress boot finish than a work boot.

Good luck and any questions shoot me a PM.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
    3 people like this.
  20. JVD521

JVD521 Member

Got my size 9.5 (my normal size) replacement pair in yesterday and they fit perfect. With light, summer weight hiking socks they're snug on the sides and top with zero heel slip straight out of the box.