• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review

milw50717

Reaction score

So are Wolverines better in cold wet climate than a Red Wing 875 ... Just wondering debating between the two..

Can't help but think that there would be some lack of grip issues with the flat soles on the 875 in the wet and snow/ice.

private eyes

Reaction score
It is in no way this; it's a boot for casual Fridays, at best.

It's a vintage-styled work-boot for the "work-wear" trend, with an oil-impregnated leather that hardly polishes up.
Its as much of a "work boot" as the alden indy boot.. No one who actually does manual labor would ever consider these. They're a pretty boot with a slick sole, and the leather is soft and on the thinner side. Id definitely put it in the "semi dress boot" category. Work boots aren't meant to have shoe horns in them and rubbed with oils on the regular.

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 1K is literally a dupe of Wolverine's work boot from decades ago. It is, for all intents and purposes, a work boot in design.

You're right; with the work-wear trend hot right now, they are mostly being bought up by (and rightly so, marketed to) young professionals with desk jobs.

Your perspective is the same as saying that a Filson bag isn't work-gear because someone donning a suit is using it as their carry-on.

As far as upkeep, any boot will wear prematurely if not well-kept.

[EDITED for grammar-fail]

Last edited:

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Its as much of a "work boot" as the alden indy boot.. No one who actually does manual labor would ever consider these. They're a pretty boot with a slick sole, and the leather is soft and on the thinner side. Id definitely put it in the "semi dress boot" category. Work boots aren't meant to have shoe horns in them and rubbed with oils on the regular.

I'll try to keep this in mind the next time I frame a deck, hike or go rock hunting. They're an uninsulated work boot that first appeared eons ago and Chromexcel is an excellent leather for said work boots. The slick sole is an easy fix, half soles are cheap and easy to have installed. Today's marketing is a far cry from how they were marketed when first introduced. They were good back then so....

Muddy Boots and a Point by DYSong Photography, on Flickr

private eyes

Reaction score
sure, they were a good work boot in the early 1900s, but not so much today. Sure, crane , you go hiking with yours and get them muddy, but you're in the slim minority. If you think I'm talking out of ******, my family has been in the construction business for over 80 years. No one in my families business would consider these for work boots. You'd be hard pressed to find a steel worker or carpenter who would pay 320.00 for a thin boot with leather sole, no metal shank, no steel toe , no insole or arch support, when you can get a pair of red wings, will all those features for ton cheaper

digga

Reaction score
sure, they were a good work boot in the early 1900s, but not so much today. Sure, crane , you go hiking with yours and get them muddy, but you're in the slim minority. If you think I'm talking out of ******, my family has been in the construction business for over 80 years. No one in my families business would consider these for work boots. You'd be hard pressed to find a steel worker or carpenter who would pay 320.00 for a thin boot with leather sole, no metal shank, no steel toe , no insole or arch support, when you can get a pair of red wings, will all those features for ton cheaper

I wore Red Wing 963s every day for 6 years... they don't have a steel shank or a steel toe. They also cost me more money than either of my pairs of 1000 mile boots. One day I had a rusty frame rail slice right through the "thick" leather on one pair of the Red Wings. As far as I can tell, the sole and the lining is the only thing significantly different between those boots and the 1000 miles.

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore Red Wing 963s every day for 6 years... they don't have a steel shank or a steel toe. They also cost me more money than either of my pairs of 1000 mile boots. One day I had a rusty frame rail slice right through the "thick" leather on one pair of the Red Wings. As far as I can tell, the sole and the lining is the only thing significantly different between those boots and the 1000 miles.
And I'll bet you wished you had had something with a bit more protection that day. I mean there are boots that would have protected you better. So I'm not sure I get your point, that is unless you siding with the person who states there are better options for this kind of work..

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ha, that's true - when I show up to job-sites I see tons of crepe soled mocs, Red-Wing and the other typical brands.
Can't we compromise and call them semi-dress, or will that totally piss-off the White's devotees
devil.gif

That's what's so great about 1K's, though, is their versatility since they are not a modern work-boot, nor a modern dress-boot, so they can come off the bench to fill either role adequately. It just so happens I'll be at a job-site in the morning and back in the office in the afternoon; and I already learned my lesson on wearing dress shoes to a job-site the hard way. Sure, some would carry some WalMart steel-toes in the trunk for such duty, but call me lazy ;).

Last edited:

digga

Reaction score
And I'll bet you wished you had had something with a bit more protection that day. I mean there are boots that would have protected you better. So I'm not sure I get your point, that is unless you siding with the person who states there are better options for this kind of work..

All I'm saying is that I don't see much functional difference between a modern boot and the 1000 mile. Sure there are purpose built boots for certain types of work, but I think the 1000 mile is a general purpose boot. Something you would find on the feet of factory workers and mechanics and other people that work indoors.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just because they can handle framing a deck, rock hunting or the like doesn't mean they are the right tool for the job. I can certainly go off road with a Mercedes SUV but it's far from the obvious choice for a dedicated off-road vehicle. I can jack it up, put on big beefy tires (or a vibram half sole) and it would work just fine. That doesn't make it the right tool for someone who off-roads every weekend or logs for a living. Nor is the 1K the most obvious choice (or even the best choice) for a laborer's work boot. If you want to add vibram soles to your leather soled boots and wear them hiking...great! It doesn't make them a hiking boot. They are clearly a great choice for you and your needs.

The designers recreated a fantastic design from 100+ yrs ago. That's why I bought them and why most people buy them. That's also to whom Wolverine markets these boots. They have many other great work boots (without leather soles) for folks who need work boots.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha, that's true - when I show up to job-sites I see tons of crepe soled mocs, Red-Wing and the other typical brands.
Can't we compromise and call them semi-dress, or will that totally piss-off the White's devotees
devil.gif

That's what's so great about 1K's, though, is their versatility since they are not a modern work-boot, nor a modern dress-boot, so they can come off the bench to fill either role adequately. It just so happens I'll be at a job-site in the morning and back in the office in the afternoon; and I already learned my lesson on wearing dress shoes to a job-site the hard way. Sure, some would carry some WalMart steel-toes in the trunk for such duty, but call me lazy ;).

Well said. Should have read your post first :).

mikeharo

Reaction score
How do you size the boots? Comparison to Tru-Balance or any other brand/last? I have read through the thread and am looking for something more specific. Should I go with my Indy boot size? Desert boot?

StraightDope

Reaction score
Just because they can handle framing a deck, rock hunting or the like doesn't mean they are the right tool for the job. I can certainly go off road with a Mercedes SUV but it's far from the obvious choice for a dedicated off-road vehicle. I can jack it up, put on big beefy tires (or a vibram half sole) and it would work just fine. That doesn't make it the right tool for someone who off-roads every weekend or logs for a living. Nor is the 1K the most obvious choice (or even the best choice) for a laborer's work boot. If you want to add vibram soles to your leather soled boots and wear them hiking...great! It doesn't make them a hiking boot. They are clearly a great choice for you and your needs.

The designers recreated a fantastic design from 100+ yrs ago. That's why I bought them and why most people buy them. That's also to whom Wolverine markets these boots. They have many other great work boots (without leather soles) for folks who need work boots.
A'men

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads