• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will this color suit work for an interview?

pembro

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I need your help! I'm thinking of getting a bespoke suit for interviews (business and finance-related positions). Would the color in the linked photo be acceptable? It's a swatch of the fabric over solid black fabric for comparison. What's to the left of the yellow thread is the fabric in question. http://www.flickr.com/photos/9562345@N08/1368070187/

I know it's difficult to tell the color from the photo, but it is a medium bluish-gray color. The tailor has actually started making the suit, so any recommendations on what I should do if I need to change fabrics? I probably shouldn't have left such a big deposit. Any help would be much appreciated.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks like it's going to be a nice suit. It's got way too much going on for a finance interview, unfortunately, even for a second interview; and it might be too informal even for the workplace, depending on how formal your office is.

I think you'll have to go buy a RTW navy suit somewhere, and use the incremental cost as an incentive to get the job. There's a thread here:

http://styleforum.net/showthread.php?p=668366

which has some helpful tips, especially if you're near New York.

thomaus247

Reaction score
I agree, medium blue/grey is too sporty for a Biz/finance interview, especially with that texture.

As far as the tailor, I would ask him if there is any way to switch, and if not, live with my decision. It would not be right to bail on the suit after he already cut the fabric. Take the suit, wear it when and where you can and chalk it up to a lesson in picking suiting fabrics.

TM

pembro

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses. Looks like I need to visit Nordstrom soon. Would a herringbone navy, plain navy, or navy with subtle pinstripes be best? 2 or 3 button? I'm thinking of single-pleat trousers and double vent jacket. I'm about 5'10 and thin.

Oh, and how much do you think the fabric costs for the suit that is currently being made? It was super 150s. Perhaps I can ask the tailor to change fabrics if pay for the original fabric.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Which Nordstrom?

Some are great and some a waste of time.

They grade them A, B, or C, and I may be able to help.

Qasimkhan

Reaction score
It's a bit hard to tell from the picture, but given that the background is solid black, I wonder if the color on the swatch isn't quite washed out from the flash. If the swatch is actually a darker, more conservative deep, blue-gray AND the herringbone pattern is small enough not to be obvious unless you are really close, I think you could do it. Otherwise, it's a great suit to wear once you've started work.

If the tailor has already cut the fabric, go ahead and have him make the suit for you. You'll need it once you have the job.

Small herringbone pattern in navy or charcoal or plain navy would be fine for an interview. Pinstripes, even subtle, are pushing the envelope in finance interviews.

Good luck on the interviews!

Steve

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'll want a plain navy suit. No herringbone, no shadow stripes, no pinstripes. Plain navy, or failing navy, charcoal.

After that, find one that fits. The fewer pleats the better, if you're skinny, and find one that buttons at your narrowest point. Do read the other thread, it sounds like the OP there is similar in build to you.

And as to the price of the other suit: I give up. How much did it cost
smile.gif

Originally Posted by pembro
Thanks for your responses. Looks like I need to visit Nordstrom soon. Would a herringbone navy, plain navy, or navy with subtle pinstripes be best? 2 or 3 button? I'm thinking of single-pleat trousers and double vent jacket. I'm about 5'10 and thin.

Oh, and how much do you think the fabric costs for the suit that is currently being made? It was super 150s. Perhaps I can ask the tailor to change fabrics if pay for the original fabric.

pembro

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses, everyone. I managed to get the tailor to switch fabrics at a cost. I now need to get a pair of shoes somewhere in the $150-$200 range. Anyone have any recommendations?

Oneitis

Reaction score
Just so we understand, you want to wear a bespoke suit and a pair of 150 dollar shoes to a job interview? I guess ebay maybe.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads