• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why should I buy a Mac??

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoeWoah
Mac hardware is superior. Yes, there are some PC's out there that can match them, but never component for component, Apple just doesn't make crap computers*.

Recently read this on Giz.

http://gizmodo.com/5104487/new-macbo...hird+party-ram

http://gizmodo.com/5099671/beta-cult...n-new-macbooks

Also, MBP's can run Windows better than PC's
Proof to back up this statement?

If I recall correctly there was an article around 2006 or early 2007 where PCMag or some such made a claim that it was faster (not better). However subsequent reports showed that they were comparing a faster Mac with a slower PC.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedScarf7
Photography is something I am interested so I would like to take that into account when purchasing a laptop.

True, you can do most imagery work on a PC. That said, I love using iPhoto for storing and managing my digital image files. For manipulating them, Aperture is progressing in leaps and bounds, though I still think Photoshop has the edge. Gimp is a great free programme for Macs you can use, too (they may make a Windows version, I don't know).

I do a lot of writing as well and like the Pages programme. However, given the ubiquitous nature of the Office suite, you may want to stick with Word for Mac.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I've had years worth of experience on the three major platforms - Windows, OS X and Linux (used RedHat for quite some time) and I've settled onto OS X, mostly because of the seamlessness between Adobe applications and the OS.

mink31

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
True, you can do most imagery work on a PC. That said, I love using iPhoto for storing and managing my digital image files. For manipulating them, Aperture is progressing in leaps and bounds, though I still think Photoshop has the edge. Gimp is a great free programme for Macs you can use, too (they may make a Windows version, I don't know).

I do a lot of writing as well and like the Pages programme. However, given the ubiquitous nature of the Office suite, you may want to stick with Word for Mac.

Yes, Gimp does exist for Windows. I like everything about it except there's no way to change RGB to grayscale or whatever! (Have to go to PS just for that.)

OP: one thing you'll need to seriously consider if you're thinking about getting a MacBook/MB Pro is the glossy screens. Many photo-geek users have been complaining ad nauseum about Apple's notebook screens. Glossy<matte, plus there are some vertical viewing angle issues with the MB display (the MBP/Air has a nicer panel, however). The cruel irony of this is that the image expert's favorite brand has given their "pro" users a fat, glossy finger.

Berticus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mink31
Yes, Gimp does exist for Windows. I like everything about it except there's no way to change RGB to grayscale or whatever! (Have to go to PS just for that.)
Huh? You mean CMYK? Someone whose in the graphics industry who uses both gimp and photoshop regularly claims to have done a complete feature comparison on both. Supposedly there's only two things in photoshop that gimp doesn't have. CMYK is one of them, don't remember what the other was. As for glossy or matte, that's a user preference thing. Glossy will give you more vibrant colors because light isn't be restricted. On the other hand, matte screens don't have a glare on them.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
Once I was in a Starbucks typing away on my MacBook Pro when a girl, enamored with my individuality and impressed with my savvy consumerism, sat down next to me. We later ended up **********.

Originally Posted by scnupe7
No viruses

How do you now she had no viruses?
devil.gif

I used Mac for years and was frequently frustrated by the inability to do what I wanted. It seemed to overly constrain options, even as simple as moving files. It must be different now, but I'd rather get by with more cost efficient pcs.

I like the "I'm a PC" ads, too.
smile.gif

mink31

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Berticus
Huh?

You mean CMYK? Someone whose in the graphics industry who uses both gimp and photoshop regularly claims to have done a complete feature comparison on both. Supposedly there's only two things in photoshop that gimp doesn't have. CMYK is one of them, don't remember what the other was.

Yeah, I replaced CMYK with "whatever" because I was sure I wasn't entirely accurate. Thanks.
smile.gif

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I have been using an iMac at home since 2003 and I love it. The O/S is the best on the planet in my experience and the bundled software like iLife is excellent. I also receive stellar customer service whenever I go into the Apple store for advice or maintenance.

Whatever you do, think about the after-sale service in addition to upfront price.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I have been using an iMac at home since 2003 and I love it. The O/S is the best on the planet in my experience and the bundled software like iLife is excellent. I also receive stellar customer service whenever I go into the Apple store for advice or maintenance.

Whatever you do, think about the after-sale service in addition to upfront price.

Have you had occasion to replace the rather whimpy iMac power cord with an audiophile version yet?

Mauby

Reaction score
I also receive stellar customer service whenever I go into the Apple store for advice or maintenance.
That is a very valid point...you can take it to your nearby Apple store. Not so with most other brands. Also their phone support is very good and...oh my God...the US call center is in the US.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
THIS.

Yes, Apple call centres are regional. The Asia-Pacific call centres are in Sydney and Tokyo. Europe is in Cork. There may be some others.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score

Another +1 on getting AppleCare. I've done it with all of my macs and have never regretted it. A few weeks after buying the iMac I'm on now the dvd drive went out. I called Apple and within 30 mins had a new drive shipped to me overnight. The next day I had the new drive installed in about five minutes and the old one sent back to them. Easy.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Because it's endorsed by Gandhi, Einstein and Muhammad Ali.
They all wore khakis too.

Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Have you had occasion to replace the rather whimpy iMac power cord with an audiophile version yet?

Awesoma power!!!!!

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauby
That is a very valid point...you can take it to your nearby Apple store. Not so with most other brands. Also their phone support is very good and...oh my God...the US call center is in the US.

The call center support is among the best I have had in any field. Simply outstanding!

Let me make an imperfect analogy: My wife drives a Toyota and I drive a Lexus. While the Toyota has been a great car, the local dealerships are horrible and thieves. I have to take her car in for service to make sure she doesn't get robbed. I will never buy another Toyota again even though the car is well made.

My Lexus while certainly more expensive than say an Avalon is an amazingly well built vehicle. Everything from paint quality to engine is perfect. When I take it in for service, I get a loaner RX or ES immediately and drive off for the day in a car with low miles. The service center does its job perfectly and if I happen to stay around in the Lexus "business center" for wifi and after-hours work I am treated like a king.

Was the convenience of the dealer after-sale experience worth the extra $10K I paid for the ES? Hell yes. Plus there are more features like my Levinson sound system over the Avalon and the resale is higher.

I think to some degree the luxury premium of $300-500 for a Mac is very well worth it just like it was for my Lexus.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads