• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why does your college experience sound much better than mine?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
...I mean... I've done stupid **** with random chicks, gotten wasted in an engineering class, gotten kicked out of clubs, had my house set on fire, shotgunned beers on the roof of a 5 story building, wore some girl's heels at a party, been kicked out of a fast-food establishment, made out with someone while dressed as Jesus, sang countless drunk ballads, watched someone get branded, drank a flask of scotch while sitting in the front row of the largest class in school, participated in a 7000 person street party etc. etc. etc.

I have probably done way more stuf I don't even remember.

I think I speak for many here by asking for a detailed accounting of each of these experiences.
I'd suggest you start a new thread.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pseudonym
Totally understand the whole commuting thing, but a serious gf for all 4 years of undergrad?

****, I couldn't imagine that. And I'm a freshman.

frown.gif

I had the same situation. You never foresee when someone you meet may be someone you keep around for awhile, especially during an age when you're both growing up and exploring new experiences.

Originally Posted by JackM
I wonder if this is an instance of the friendship paradox:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friendship_paradox

That's interesting.

Originally Posted by West24
well it was from gr 11 to second year. yeah it was tough sometimes. but i didnt go to university i went to a college in toronto, its different then in the states. so i did 3 year and there isnt much of a party scene with colleges etc. especially in the city.

There is totally a party scene in Toronto. It's a commuter school, though, so you have to join clubs to meet people.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh trust me i know theres a party scene....im talking about a party scene attached with the college.

JLee

Reaction score
After you get out and start working the real thing that matters is what you learned. I hire and fire so many graduates that actually imagine they can read and write. Then reality smacks them hard. I don't bother to ask how their college experience was because it obviously didn't have much to do with thought, imagination or ideas.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sold drugs in college ,so I had a lot of fun.

jhva3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cavalier
I am 23, about to finish undergrad... I think it's only up from here, getting older, making money, traveling, getting nice stuff. It doesn't hurt that I might be purchasing a dive bar near campus for a barcade with a business partner of mine
smile.gif

The kids who rave about college are generally loser frat douches who are ill adjusted for the real world/life post college.

People who had enjoyedcollege are losers? Only on the internet would a comment like this be made without any irony whatsoever.

ektaylor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhva3
People who had enjoyedcollege are losers? Only on the internet would a comment like this be made without any irony whatsoever.

LIFE IS ALL ABOUT ACQUIRING RESOURCES. Once you understand that, you're free.

-Stylist-

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhva3

lol its the whole 'person behind the screen' thing
99% of these kinda people are afraid to say it in real life no doubt - they will get beat up
confused.gif

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I had one of "those" college experiences. Moved to another city, and became a member of a fraternity. Had a lot of parties, and regret only a few.. Those one or two wasted years account to nothing when compared to the rest of my life, and I got a lot of really fun memories in return. To boot, some of the friendships I forged in those years have lasted to this day..

I guess its up to the individual to decide what you want from your college years.

vexare

Reaction score
My undergraduate experience was filled with a lot of work. For freshmen, sophomore and part of junior year, I didn't party or drink at all and got a good GPA. By junior year, I had some many friends that partied, I came to the conclusion that I did not want to graduate college w/ out enjoying the scene. So I did. Kept my GPA up and started enjoying hanging w/ friends. Overall, undergraduate was pretty tame. Anyone who does undergraduate in an engineering program can attest to this.

The fun didn't start happening until graduate school. Far less in the way of classes, so I could finally start doing some extracurricular stuff and eventually met a whole new slew of friends whom I am still friends with to this day. More parties, more girls, more of what everyone else describes as a college experience. Also graduated with high honors with a masters degree in my field..all paid for by the school. Worked hard, played hard.

Looking back, I miss aspects of school. I miss having my friends all in one place, and having a weekly hang out including going to the bars and getting rowdy. I miss the quiet times during winter breaks where nothing was happening. After some acclimation, I started liking the real world more. College is constrictive, and the people are mostly focused on partying ( the people in easy majors). In the real world, I could go out to a club and meet a chick who was into law/medicine and could actually hold a conversation...so awesome!

Now I randomly mingle with college kids , but find very little common ground with most. I like the 23+ crowd, and since I don't even look close to 30 the sketch factor is well hidden
smile.gif

su_maverick

Reaction score
I had a blast in college though I think I have more fun now. I think the reason a lot of people look back on it with such fondness is that you (and everyone else for that matter) really didnt care all that much when you were 18-22. Nobody was 'career-oriented' and the only position you were worried about getting was moving her from missionary to doggy without seeming too much of a clod. But we also tend to forget all of the less than stellar points too which mostly happened during the storied freshman year. The pained look on her face as you fumbled for 15 minutes trying to pull of the one-handed bra pop your buddies told you about. That wonderful 6 weeks of mono you contracted because everyone was hooking up with everyone. That great week of being scared shitless because you didnt have a condom and uttered the classic words "I will be safe and pull out before, I promise".
I went back for homecomming a couple years after graduating and having a taste of the real world. My buddies and I went out to one of the old college bars we used to frequent and almost laughed our asses off. We came to the conclusion that it wasnt that we were so suave and cool in college, the girls were just that drunk...

runner-guy

Reaction score
I definitely feel for the people who had to work all throughout their college years. My wife had to do the same thing and she has less-than-fond memories of college. I was able to get a half-ride scholarship through my dad's work which included a loan. My parents helped out with the rest and I worked summers, so I was lucky.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The people who want careers in prestigious fields or get into good grad schools will be busting their asses off, just like always. The party scene really is exaggerated and is a lot like the myth of high school being all about sex, sports and popularity with clean cut edges between cool and uncool. The only thing I really like about the experience is just the fact that I can be awesome academically and be admired for it rather than resented, like it is in the 'real world.'

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nereis
The people who want careers in prestigious fields or get into good grad schools will be busting their asses off, just like always. The party scene really is exaggerated and is a lot like the myth of high school being all about sex, sports and popularity with clean cut edges between cool and uncool. The only thing I really like about the experience is just the fact that I can be awesome academically and be admired for it rather than resented, like it is in the 'real world.'

Didn't get laid, huh?
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics