• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who here does not do the jacket/jeans look?

Butterfly

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zenny
I've pulled off a DB tuxedo jacket (4x2 super slim) with jeans.

I'll believe that when i see it...
lurker[1].gif

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
Believable.
Then what are you talking about you dont like ties with jeans?!

I can see it done in an ironic way, that being said, I wouldnt repeat that look.

There is a pic of Ralph Lauren doing a tuxedo with acidwash jeans, can anyone find it?

sethkatzman@comcast.

Reaction score
Get off your cross.
And, by the way, the Prince of Wales wears neither. If you're going to try to be inflammatory, at least know what you're talking about.[/quote]

Well, golly, of course the Prince doesn't wear them American brands. He wears bespoke. The overdone RL or BB look is for those who want to dress like him.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear the khaki rigid 501 STF with a blazer and a buttondown.

If the denim is distressed and faded, it looks lousy with a sports coat. It's like serving a meal on paper plates with crystal stemware. It's too confused and never makes the man look comfortable in himself. I would wear a harrington or a sweater before I went in for a sports coat that was as casual as roughed-up denim.

If the denim is clean and dark blue, it looks only a little better than dark navy wool trousers. I like the sports coat and the shoes to be a darker color than the pants, so I never do this myself.

If the denim is clean and light blue, that could probably look good in the spring or summer with a blazer and brown shoes. On a practical level, it's not much different than wearing baby-blue chinos. But why would you want the extra weight of denim? Maybe it would be worth the trade-off if you excessively AC your spaces or want to conform to the popular taste for all blue jeans all the time.

Toorman

Reaction score
It's just as much an issue of image, body type, personality, etc. Plus the ability to choose the appropriate jeans, shirt, jacket and shoes. Done right it can look very stylish; done wrong it can fail miserably.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 39. I do it all the time. Usually with a casual blazer, but sometimes with a structured blazer. I even do it with my shirt untucked (oh, the humanity). It looks good and I actually get alot of compliments. I actually prefer jeans with odd jackets as the blazer/trouser look smacks of old man in Palm Beach in my eyes. For me it is a suit, or jeans and a blazer. Flame away.

Mike

bc78

Reaction score
I used to do it quite often, but I like it less and less as I get older (just turned 30). I only do it with dark jeans and monks or suede shoes.

Franky In T.O.

Reaction score
I like the jacket and jeans look. It's actually very easy to pull off. The reason why many men don't like it is because either they aren't pulling it off right or they see many men not pulling it off right (and there are a lot of them) and so they assume it's not a good look. Meanwhile, it's very easy.

Don't ever wear a suit jacket or a blazer with a pair of jeans. You can't just throw on any jacket and think you're dressing up jeans well.

Do wear a casual sport coat that is the right cut for your body. Most of the time these do not come paired with pants, but often you'll find a summer suit where the jacket does work well with a pair of jeans.

Do wear the right pair of jeans (usually dark). The reason why many older gentlemen don't pull it off well is because they are wearing the same pair of light blue jeans they bought over ten years ago. Problem is made worse if paired with a suit jacket or a bad sport coat.

If you have the right suit jacket and a fashionable pair of jeans that go well with it then it will work no matter what your age. I have seen many older gentlemen pull it off well.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I just realized I'm a dirty liar -- I have white denim I wear with sportcoats, which shoots my previous arguments all to hell.

LIAR!!!
smile.gif

I frequently wear dark jeans, an OCBD, chelsea boots or monkstraps, and a light blue structured jacket, without a tie. The jacket's fabric is sometimes a basketweave, sometimes blue/cream herringbone, sometimes blue barleycorn, but always textured. It's comfortable for me and I like the look, as do those who've complimented me. For the record, I'm 49, but a young 49. ;-)

I reserve my navy blazer for tan, gray, or charcoal wool trousers, or occasionally tan or winter white cords.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads