• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

Ivar

Reaction score

Actually, I think he was talking about my tie when I had my picture originally posted yesterday. This was my picture:

[picture removed at wumingde's request]

Very terrible, yes. And if you need someone telling you why it's bad, you're posting in the wrong thread.

Last edited:

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Everything here is very sober except for the tie, which is both bright and aggressively patterned. The effect is loud and doesn't play well with the otherwise nice framework you established.

Anytime one element stands out dramatically, it's a red flag. Shows a lack of harmony. This isn't always bad, but it usually is (especially for this thread's purposes), and should be approached very carefully.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I often see black ties (either grenadine or regular) are a wardrobe staple. I don't own one, and don't plan on getting one, as I can't really figure out when or how to wear one. Can anyone give some examples of when it makes sense to wear one and maybe post some pics?

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Mid to light gray suit, blue shirt, and a black knit is a pretty established combination right?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I often see black ties (either grenadine or regular) are a wardrobe staple. I don't own one, and don't plan on getting one, as I can't really figure out when or how to wear one. Can anyone give some examples of when it makes sense to wear one and maybe post some pics?

I have two black grenadines (no real reason to have two). I wear them with grey suits, a black & white houndstooth suit and with tweeds, a lot. I also wear them occasionally with blue suits for a sort of Minutemen (Croatoa) look.

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two black grenadines (no real reason to have two). I wear them with grey suits, a black & white houndstooth suit and with tweeds, a lot. I also wear them occasionally with blue suits for a sort of Minutemen (Croatoa) look.

Brown shoes then, I guess? Not that it would bother me, of course, but I've heard people come out strong against black necktie / brown shoes. Would you wear a brown necktie with black shoes, if the rest of the rig was appropriate? Say, blue shirt, brown neat tie, gray worsted suit, black brogues or captoes?

Ivar

Reaction score

I often see black ties (either grenadine or regular) are a wardrobe staple. I don't own one, and don't plan on getting one, as I can't really figure out when or how to wear one. Can anyone give some examples of when it makes sense to wear one and maybe post some pics?

I can't seem to find the post now, but one of the forum's Italian members once wrote that, in the 60s and 70s, solid black neckties were part of Turin's standard business uniform. At any rate, pairing them with solid greys and blues is a classic look, and they look especially dashing with mid-blue suits. Here's one of Agnelli's sidekicks in one such combination:

(I also recall Patrick McGoohan wearing this exact combination in "Escape from Alcatraz", but to my knowledge, there are no pictures of it online.)

As I wrote in another thread, I think this look takes black shoes -- as do most somber looks, in my opinion.

Last edited:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interested in some feedback about wearing this tie with an odd jacket. Patrizio Cappelli told me this was a regular twill, not a madder, but I have ordered both this one and a true madder from him and both have the same gummy, chalky hand, matte finish, and the neats have a similar design and size; so I'm wondering if it's OK to wear it like this or if I should leave it for suits only.

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
To me it is a suit tie, but to be fair, you would not look out of place in Italy wearing it with an odd jacket, and Spain is sort of like Italy, so ...

Pingson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
X-posting from the WAYWRN thread - how much colour can you incorporate into you fit and still have it in "good taste"? I think this is definitely pushing it....

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's something about white + purple together that I find not quite right, though I have no idea why. I think I've read about it somewhere (was it Manton's white shirt thread?), but even before that. Or is the shirt blue?

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i have a black grenadine and a black cashmere. i wear them with a gray suit, or my SCs that have black in them. i think they are great ties to have.

very nice, as always, diaz.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
color of SC better represented in bottom pic. shirt is light blue.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads