• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

where to go for undergrad????(finance/econ major)

zach9

Reaction score
how do these schools compare as far as job placement goes? Could I land a consulting gog at a "2nd tier" consultong firm (not mbb) directly after undergrad to gain experience before going to b-school?

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
I would say double major, major in econ/finance and minor in math.

That should have said "OR major in econ/finance and minor in math.

b

imschatz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
From what I understand, the math is far more important than any macro/micro type classes if he wants to go for a PhD in Econ or Finance. Should Op consider actually majoring in math or stat and doing Econ as a minor?
Depends. Math is definitely the bees knees when looking at grad school in Economics. But with that said, it's possible to do a minor in Math and get all the Math courses any admission committee will look at. Mankiw provides this list of math classes, http://gregmankiw.blogspot.com/2006/...h-courses.html. I did Honour's Economics, took all those math classes (including doubles in some), and even a few extra statistics and financial mathematics courses for fun. I was one semester away from a double major in Math, with Honour's Econ. If you don't do Honour's Economics, and don't take all the upper tier micro/macro/econometrics courses, you will likely still get into a Ph.D. program, but from experiences of friends of mine you'll usually make you do a "Qualifying Year" where they make you take those courses anyways before starting the graduate courses.

Kvc06

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zach9
how do these schools compare as far as job placement goes? Could I land a consulting gog at a "2nd tier" consultong firm (not mbb) directly after undergrad to gain experience before going to b-school?
yes DePaul doesn't have some crazy recognition here though among businesses. UChicago/Northwestern are the primarily targeted schools for intern recruitment. Depaul/UIC are 2nd tier and about on the same level as far as Chicago goes. My GF is a UIC finance major and has had interviews at UBS, Zurick, GE, BOA and more I can't think of, so you'll be fine.. I love living here and I definitely recommend it, as other have mentioned if your plan is MBA, undergrad really isn't THAT big of a deal. So that said, you might as well enjoy it. I only applied to UIC and DePaul knowing I'd get into both because I knew I couldn't leave my city..

kxk

Reaction score
I was always under the impression that a flagship state school is a better bet than a so-so private school, at least as far as opportunities, etc, went.

Also, if it would still cost you something after the scholarships, you might leverage the scholarships against each other and make these schools compete.

Oski

Reaction score
DePaul definitely has a higher girl ratio. Teachers do give much more personal attention. And some internships i've landed through depaul are stellar. Im getting the chance to run my own business, hire my own workers, set their wages, and get a nice chunk of summer cash all before I'm even 21. I'm also a finance major, thinking of switching to entreprenourship. Guess it depends if you're the big city type.

Then again I go to school here for basically free so nothing to complain about on my end.

Kvc06

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oski
thinking of switching to entreprenourship.

Sounds like an up and coming industry, can't say I've heard of it
lol8[1].gif

inlove.gif
Just giving you a hard time.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AldenPyle
According to USNews, DePaul student body is 55% female and 45% male. Ohio State is reverse. Play the odds and go to DePaul.

Ohio State also has like 60,000 student so who really gives a ****.

zach9

Reaction score
Another question, would DePaul be the better choice keeping in mind that I want to work in Chicago or should I go to OSU

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zach9
Another question, would DePaul be the better choice keeping in mind that I want to work in Chicago or should I go to OSU

OSU -- One of the nation's largest alumni bases.
DePaul -- What the hell is DePaul?

kxk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington
OSU -- One of the nation's largest alumni bases.
DePaul -- What the hell is DePaul?

would you say the same for OSU vs., say, Cooper Union?

kxk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord-Barrington
No, I wouldn't say that about the most prestigious lib/fine arts college in the world. Would you?
Not at all. just wanted clarification on your "well-recognized state university vs small school few have heard of", whether that really would be the sole dispositive factor in choice between two schools. As great a school as CU might be, I don't think it's any more recognized than DePaul is. In fact, not sure if even NYC residents necessarily know what it is.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kxk
Not at all. just wanted clarification on your "well-recognized state university vs small school few have heard of", whether that really would be the sole dispositive factor in choice between two schools.
As great a school as CU might be, I don't think it's any more recognized than DePaul is. In fact, not sure if even NYC residents necessarily know what it is.

The people who need to know about Cooper Union know about Cooper Union, I think that's all that's important.

Lay prestige is sort of overrated but I think attending a huge school like OSU can have its benefits just because the network is so massive.

jefe

Reaction score
I went to OSU and had a fantastic time very rarely attending classes and being excused from the honors program.

I made it into trading in Chicago with a medium-sized international bank right out of undergrad. Moral of the story is go have a good time and worry about the rest of it later.

Also, it should never be compared to something like Cooper Union. There's almost nothing to compare.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads