• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where to get a good travel bag/ day bag?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
ongoing drama. Bought the leather. Took it to a guy to get made, me and the gf going to do his n hers versions....dude wanted 2.3 million each to make them. That is like $150 a piece....crazy for here. Both guy and leather pictured here: GF since been investigating somewhere else to get them made, and has a list, but has then fallen on crazy busy times at work. No progress, and any nudging from me results in claims of "you dont understand the demands of my life and <insert noise here>". She promises to have them done before our anniversary in a month..........

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Ah, dang, sorry - I have little information about it. It's probably 1950s, and was givrn to me by an acquaintance when we handled his late uncle's estate. (The uncle was a high-end antiques dealer, so there were quite a few goodies of the same sort. I still have a few Jermyn St shirts and a couple of Burberry macs from him.) Another pic; M@t; did you try to have one made in VN?
DSC00818.jpg

Lucky, thanks for the additional pic. I like the bag even more now - it's really nice.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
ongoing drama.

Bought the leather. Took it to a guy to get made, me and the gf going to do his n hers versions....dude wanted 2.3 million each to make them. That is like $150 a piece....crazy for here.

Both guy and leather pictured here:

GF since been investigating somewhere else to get them made, and has a list, but has then fallen on crazy busy times at work. No progress, and any nudging from me results in claims of "you dont understand the demands of my life and <insert noise here>".

She promises to have them done before our anniversary in a month..........

What kind of leather is that?

I imagine being in Vietnam you can get all sorts of contrabrand skins.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
it's off a cow if that is what you mean LK
smile.gif
think I should try to make one from elephant with an ivory zip?

lithium180

Reaction score

BlvdDandy

Reaction score
Is this an example of a Hermes Haut a Corriores (the one on the left)?

I'm very interested in finding one like it. J. Crew has something similar right now, but it's not very well made and the proportions are off. Is anyone else making bags like this? I'm talking both the shape (especially how they close) and the combo of light colored canvas and tan leather.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlvdDandy
Is this an example of a Hermes Haut a Corriores (the one on the left)?

I'm very interested in finding one like it. J. Crew has something similar right now, but it's not very well made and the proportions are off. Is anyone else making bags like this? I'm talking both the shape (especially how they close) and the combo of light colored canvas and tan leather.

Yes; I used to have one exactly like it.

I can't imagine anyone else making something similar except Hermes; and even then, I haven't seen that canvas leather combination recently. They also don't make that style of bag in large quantities.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What did you do with your Haut a Courroies LK?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I sold it to the Hermes company; they buy up vintage Hermes goods.

What do they do with them?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I believe they have some kind of an archive collection.

One thing I don't get is why companies don't just save one for themselves after each production. I think Levi's does this but most of their earlier stuff got destroyed in an earthquake and so they are always looking to buy the really old stuff back.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads