• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where can i buy some cheap button downs? (college budget)

billiebob

Reaction score
Costco twill buttondowns for $15 each. Cheap and relatively good fabric. Not as slim as H and M made in turkey shirts though, but HM are $40. Still an excellent value for the money.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
People have talked about the mossimo brand button ups and enjoyed the fit. Maybe size down a half size or 1? The only problem is the little logo on the chest but it might work for you.

I don't like the mossimo at all, but the merona brand shirts fit well and are un-branded for around 17 bucks or so.

hamm23

Reaction score
the j.crew shirts do come pretty wrinkly and wrinkle quite easily after ironing, they are great for casual wear though

savage

Reaction score
A few affiliates carry Shades of Greige. They have some nice button downs and are not too expensive (around $80). I will admit I haven't been to the Gap in years so I don't know what their price points are for button ups.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in your same boat. The best I've found is:
-Target - good shirts, cheap prices, and most have a good cut.
-Old Navy - their 'slim fit' buttonups actually fit great as-is on me, but the fabric tends to be a bit lightweight (summer/spring), and will wrinkle easy.
- TJ Maxx - you can find shirts with much better fabrics and details off the rack at TJ Maxx, but the cuts aren't necessarily any better. Be wary.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JOA
J. Crew discount is 15% off for teachers, which helps me out tremendously.

Previous poster mentioned not finding the tailored fit on the site. Aren't all of their shirts now this fit?

Why do teachers get a 15% discount? That is so lame.

dual

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ethirtynine
+
+1. I remove the pocket before I wash it. For $15-25 on sale, they're pretty good (except the striped patterns). They fit me right (xs vintage fit) and with the logo gone, no one knows its American Eagle.

If you remove the pocket, won't it leave a mark where the pocket was previously? It's hard to find shirts without pockets.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylin-1
Why do teachers get a 15% discount? That is so lame.

Because children are the future.

Mr Sola

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
Because children are the future.

Teach them well and let them lead the way......

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out the sale yoox is having right now. I just bought 2 shirts, and may end up buying more as cheap as they are at the moment.

Oh and yoox2008 works for 10% off.

uNotAzFreshAzImIz

Reaction score
Why do you gotta shop retail ? Get your sizing right - take your measurements - shop THE HELL OUTTA ebay ..
ask sellers for proper measurements ..

banana republic makes some decent cheap shirts
and nordstrom's brand is nice for the price ..

ebay / clearance sale pricings that is

hit the clearance isles up at TJ maxx and Marshalls and such if you must go buy in person ..
better like that for some reasons ..

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bluefly have some on sale starting just under 50 bucks from various designers.

herzzreh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
I'm so sick of seeing these threads.

The answer is always: H&M, Uniqlo, Zara, Gap or Jcrew. Let's sticky this ****.

What if the nearest H&M, Zara and Gap are a 1000 miles away and nearest Uniqlo is 4000 miles away?!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics