• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whats wrong with Ralph Lauren? No labels on your clothes?

overdog

Reaction score
I find it weird that people actually would actually compliment you on how expensive your clothes are based on a Polo logo. Maybe it's due to me growing up in the suburbs, but once I surpassed the age of 12, it seemed like everyone and their moms owned Polo logo clothing of some sort.

Nowadays, just walking around the malls in a big city, I would estimate that at least a quarter of all polos being worn have the Polo logo on it. And I doubt many of those people paid the full $80 for them either.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I buy Polo custom fits because they fit me better than most brands, and on sale, they're tough to beat. But yeah, those Big Polo logos are hideous. Do your peers admire you more if the logo is much bigger? The practice of logo identification is so prevalent and a lot of people does have this mindset- and a perfect example is how much LV, Gucci and the others rely heavily on their logos to sell their bags. Think about it, if majority of folks think like this, then you'd see people wearing their suit jacket sleeves with the label tag still stitched on the wrist.

ozonemania

Reaction score
BTW-The only Polo clothing that have logos on them are their polos, sport shirts and other basics. You won't find their logo on any of their fashion or seasonal clothing.

I have a fair amount of Polo clothing but I don't wear it because of the logo. I wear it because I like how it looks and how it fits me and my style. I probably would like them a bit more if they didn't have a logo on it, but it's not really an issue for me.

If you like Polo clothing, wear it! But don't wear clothing based on whether or not it has a logo on it or not. Sometimes a logo gives a bad connotation not because of the logo but because of all the bad knockoffs that get circulated around.

Polo, and many other clothing companies, make good, stylish clothing for their price point. And you don't have to buy $400 shirts to be stylish.

hipcathobbes

Reaction score
Remember that for college students (er, depending on where you go), Polo RL shirts might be standard fare for guys, though maybe not if people are asking how much you paid for it. Ultimately you should look for whatever you think suits your personality and looks good on you. Compliments are nice but comments based on cost seem kinda crass.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jwcarter people complement me and proceed to ask "wow, how much was that?"
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Here's the answer to your question.
Originally Posted by hipcathobbes
Remember that for college students (er, depending on where you go), Polo RL shirts might be standard fare for guys, though maybe not if people are asking how much you paid for it. Ultimately you should look for whatever you think suits your personality and looks good on you. Compliments are nice but comments based on cost seem kinda crass.
Exactly, - I'm a bit surprised that anyone could be impressed by a Polo polo logo these days. They're good quality for their price point, but that logo feels to me like it's everywhere, and that turns me off. (Now say Polo polo logo very fast ten times.) Crassest comment lately: I was at a party at someones (very nice) house, when I overheard a low whistle and the earnest words: "****! You guys must be loaded".
Originally Posted by Caomhanach
Well I've marketed a few polo ponies but never actually played. I do know, based on attending several matches nobody involved with Polo would be caught dead in the stuff.Logos remind me of those Kitsch paintings mass produced by a series of painters. You know, the quaint english cottage in kaleidoscope colours and displayed in houses along with singed Rod McKuen poetry books and Martha Stewart throw pillows.
Supposedly, Polo made a little PR coup when the Prince and Princess of Wales started wearing the logo'ed shirts. But I agree - the marketing irony of dressing in Polo to see a polo match would be a bit much.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys are all forgetting about the gigantic pony "limited edition" purple label shirts:

http://www.ralphlauren.com/shop/inde...cs_purplelabel

It's not exactly the same as the Polo line one, but Ralph now does include logos in the Purple Label collection. Apparently it's on sale now, however, for a mere $144.99, but its retail of $245 should REALLY impress your friends when they ask how much it cost.

BAB

Reaction score
i see no issues in wearing a RL polo shirt (regardless the size of the logo) as long as the fit and quality are right for the price.

after all, RL polos have become an american classic like levi's jeans, so as long as they fit me right, i don't care--

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you guys are seemingly offended by the logos...why?

I'm amazed that the same crowd of people who buy bespoke and expensive RTW that are many many times more expensive then the logod polos are actually bothered by it.

I'm wearing my extra large logo polo today just for this post
lol8[1].gif

BAB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
you guys are seemingly offended by the logos...why?

I'm amazed that the same crowd of people who buy bespoke and expensive RTW that are many many times more expensive then the logod polos are actually bothered by it.

I'm wearing my extra large logo polo today just for this post
lol8[1].gif

good boy

Caomhanach

Reaction score
Wearing a Polo, or any logo is like parking your Emiliano Zapata MK III LE with the license plate bracket carrying the logo, the crome name on the trunk, decals on the side, emblem on shift knob, steering wheel center,key fob, floor mats and finally your baseball cap and shirt. While your pulling in at a 45 degree angle to take up two spaces this car slips in, quiet as a ghost, only a crome flying lady on the radiator of it's bespoke coachwork telling it's mark.varoom varoom.

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
Ralph Lauren Purple Label, "The Equestrian Knit Shirt($245)"

My $0.02 - It is ridiculous to pay this much for such a shirt. After a certain point, the quality doesn't really get any better, and, if it does, it voids the practicality of the shirt. Polo shirts are supposed to be worn casually, for athletics(golf, tennis et al). What's the point of paying so much for one that you have to worry about ruining it the way you would care for a dress shirt, etc.

In the interest of full disclosure, I buy Lacoste solid colored shirts[these are my preference in terms of fit and quality for the price I usually pay- $60], and for striped, patterned, etc polos I like RL custom fit, Original Penguin, J. Lindeberg etc(I don't like these as much as my lacoste in terms of quality, but Lacoste just doesn't produce many good multi-colored polos.)

Also as a side note- most people would prob. think you were wearing a polo knock off, not one that costs 4x more than the 'authentic'

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Caomhanach
Wearing a Polo, or any logo is like parking your Emiliano Zapata MK III LE with the license plate bracket carrying the logo, the crome name on the trunk, decals on the side, emblem on shift knob, steering wheel center,key fob, floor mats and finally your baseball cap and shirt. While your pulling in at a 45 degree angle to take up two spaces this car slips in, quiet as a ghost, only a crome flying lady on the radiator of it's bespoke coachwork telling it's mark.varoom varoom.

not exactly.....but close
lol8[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads