• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's this on my shoe?

Verniza

Reaction score
Hi Gentleman,

I just received my new shoes today and decided to give them a polish. Half way through polishing I couldn't help but notice this:

What is the spot on the toe box? Did I do something wrong? How do I rectify it? Apparently, apply polish over it doesn't do anything.

Thanks gents!

glenjay

Reaction score
I can't tell for sure from the quality of the picture, but it looks like it may be heat damage. If it is, there is nothing you can do to fix it. Perhaps others will have better insight.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was it there before you attempted to polish them?

Poshak Man

Reaction score
What shoes are these and what shoe polish are you using. Shoe polishes with solvents will some times strip of the finish layer. Take it to a good cobbler to see what the professional advice is.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What shoes are these and what shoe polish are you using. Shoe polishes with solvents will some times strip off the finish layer. Take it to a good cobbler to see what the professional advice is.

+1
This appears to be the case.

Verniza

Reaction score

Was it there before you attempted to polish them?

Nope. It wasn't. I'm pretty sure it's something wrong that I did but I can't seem to identify what.

What shoes are these and what shoe polish are you using. Shoe polishes with solvents will some times strip of the finish layer. Take it to a good cobbler to see what the professional advice is.

These are AS exclusives Moore and I'm using Saphir products. I applied reno, cream, lastly polish. Not all at once but you know the usual routine. Thanks for the advice, I'll take it to a cobbler after the New years and see what can be done.

koolhistorian

Reaction score
It happened because you applied polish in the same place and it had "overloaded" with polish and water. Let it dry for a night and start it again with smaller quantities. Or strip down everything with turpentine or Renomat and start again. Check also your water levels on your polishing rag.

Verniza

Reaction score

It happened because you applied polish in the same place and it had "overloaded" with polish and water. Let it dry for a night and start it again with smaller quantities. Or strip down everything with turpentine or Renomat and start again. Check also your water levels on your polishing rag.

Done. It seems better now although it can still be seen if you were to look for it. I'll try stripping it. Thanks gent.

Northampton Novice

Reaction score

Done. It seems better now although it can still be seen if you were to look for it. I'll try stripping it. Thanks gent.

Have you tried the Saphir cream rather than just reno & wax polish?

The only reason I mention this, Reno has solvents as it's a cleaner and the MDO Wax has a turpentine base which is a strong solvent in its own right. The Saphir creams are far more gentle and with the added pigment are a good bet at covering the mark altogether.

I like Renomat and it will probably resolve the issue but it just seems a little extreme to have to strip the shoe in this instance...

Verniza

Reaction score

Have you tried the Saphir cream rather than just reno & wax polish?
The only reason I mention this, Reno has solvents as it's a cleaner and the MDO Wax has a turpentine base which is a strong solvent in its own right. The Saphir creams are far more gentle and with the added pigment are a good bet at covering the mark altogether.
I like Renomat and it will probably resolve the issue but it just seems a little extreme to have to strip the shoe in this instance...

Would the saphir neutral cream do the trick? That's the only Saphir cream I have in my arsenal so far. Reno ---> cream ---> wax.

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
No, neutral products always have greater solvent properties and IMHO are best used after you have a few coats of a coloured or pigmented cream on your shoe.

Poshak Man

Reaction score

No, neutral products always have greater solvent properties and IMHO are best used after you have a few coats of a coloured or pigmented cream on your shoe.

+1. After some bad experiences, I now only use Saphir neutral wax and cream if I want to strip stubborn layers of polish. I don't use them to shine shoes anymore as they are more of a cleaning agent. A slightly milder form of renomat, as I see it.

Last edited:

Verniza

Reaction score

+1. After some bad experiences, I now only use Saphir neutral wax and cream if I want to strip stubborn layers of polish. I don't them to shine shoes anymore they are more of a cleaning agent. A slightly milder form of renomat, as I see it.

Ahh I see what's the problem now. I used renovateur and neutral cream on a brand new shoe which damaged the finishing. This has been eye opening for me, considering these are my 1st pair of leather shoes and my 1st time polishing shoes.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Especially if the OP was spit-shining...I suspect that thius is the best explanation of what happened.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The only reason I mention this, Reno has solvents as it's a cleaner

so why do people recommend it to noobs to use it on their new shoes with zero experience? i know that you know, btw.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads