• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What TV Series Are You Streaming Lately?

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to this:

I tried to watch Halo but it never grabbed me. Fingers crossed for Fallout.

That does look like it has potential. I never played the game, so I won't be bothered by all the things that are inevitably changed.

And Halo is pretty meh. Unless it gets a lot better, and fast, I don't think it's going to have a third season.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_0756.jpeg

Started this last night. Typical Guy Ritchie British crime thriller/comedy. If you liked Snatch, Lock Stock, etc. (and the movie the series is based on), it will likely appeal to you. I’m a fan of those films and enjoy Ritchie's dialogue so even though it’s as far from realistic as you can get, it's well produced and acted and entertaining so far.

Nikos

Reaction score
Looking forward to this:

I tried to watch Halo but it never grabbed me. Fingers crossed for Fallout.

Looks exactly like Fallout 4 (the only one I have played). It seems to have potential indeed, I hope it does not get as complicated as Westworld. Walton Goggins and that girl from Yellowjackets are good options I think.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am so out of the loop on network TV...

Today I saw some short clip from the first episode of a sitcom where the guy from New Girl plays part of a white couple from the midwest that moves into a black neighborhood.

Turns out this thing has been running since 2018...that's six fricking seasons and I've never so much as heard of it or seen a promo.

It doesn't sound like it is a particularly good show...but wtf? I didn't watch New Girl or 2 Broke Girls or Mike & Molly, but I knew they existed and could have told you what show they were from if you showed me a scene with the main characters.

And this is not even the first show this has happened with in recent memory...the streaming ecosystem/cord cutting has just killed it. I assume it has also made the network shows worse because they cater to the remaining population of people who sit in front of live TV and flip channels.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got caught up on Masters of the Air. It's really quite good (though I can't not see Elvis whenever Austin Butler is on screen). Looking forward to the last episode.

Had no idea they ended at the same POW camp featured in "The Great Escape."

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Got caught up on Masters of the Air. It's really quite good (though I can't not see Elvis whenever Austin Butler is on screen). Looking forward to the last episode.

Oh man, I didn't know that.

So the referenced British attempt is the [highly fictionalized] attempt from the movie.

It is actually super interesting to read about all the things that went on in the day to day life.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I haven't seen Elvis... so not an issue for me, but I did recently see Dune, and the characters he plays couldn't be more different (and disconcerting, now going back to MotA...)

My current thoughts on MotA: caveat, I haven't read the book it sis based on.
It needs more episodes and breathing room.

Maybe an episode (or most of one) dedicated to ground crews

The Tuskegee Airmen just showed up, and are now in the POW camp, that squadron alone could have had two or three episodes alone just to introduce characters and the squadron's efforts in the war.

I will wait until it is over before I make final judgment, and overall am really liking it, but I feel like nine episodes is not enough....

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen Elvis... so not an issues for me, but I did recently see Dune, and the characters he plays couldn't be more different (and disconcerting, now going back to MotA...)
Consider yourself lucky. That movie wasn't that great.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen Elvis... so not an issues for me, but I did recently see Dune, and the characters he plays couldn't be more different (and disconcerting, now going back to MotA...)

The Tuskegee Airmen just showed up, and are now in the POW camp, that squadron alone could have had two or three episodes alone just to introduce characters and the squadron's efforts in the war.

I will wait until it is over before I make final judgment, and overall am really liking it, but I feel like nine episodes is not enough....
Agreed. I wish it had a few more episodes.

FYI, I just picked up the kindle version of the book written by Harry Crosby for $2:

A Wing and a Prayer: The "Bloody 100th" Bomb Group of the US Eighth Air Force in Action Over Europe in World War II

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That seems to be par for the course with streaming shows these days. Went from long seasons that needed filler to short (and widely spaced) seasons that don't contain enough. Filler is not necessarily a bad thing either--it can help flesh out the world, round out characters or tell very engaging stories (e.g. the Nick Offermann episode from Last of Us is bloody fantastic, but does nothing to advance the plot). It can let the story breath a bit, give the mind more time to think about the characters and the mystery/direction of the main plot.

But I think filler also struggles in a binge-TV world. You hit play on the next episode because you need to know what happens...and fillers don't deliver that. MotA has a serialized release, but my guess is they are heavily considering binge-value on anything produced today.

That said, hard to say here.
On one hand I do think it could be super interesting to see some more ground crew work (how the eff do they get those planes ready for battle again!) or more detail on how the downed crew made it back to England. I find all those things interesting and could watch 20-episodes of this stuff.

On the other hand, maybe that detracts from the story they are trying to tell. Common criticism of The Pacific is the lack of character focus, so maybe they were trying hard to stick to the airmen and only provide a sufficient amount of scene-setting for the other characters they cross paths with.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads