• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What tie knots are best for what???

Always Suited

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
I'm not trying to nitpick, but there's no such thing as a Double Windsor -- there is the Windsor, and there is the Half Windsor.

Like the other poster mentioned, your choice of tie knots are entirely dependent on the width and spread of your shirt collar.

The other thing to keep in mind is that is that Four in Hand usually tends to have a comparatively tubular look, whereas the Windsors tend to be more triangular.

If you are built small, I would recommend going with something something like the Four in Hand or the Half Windsor simply because the knots tend to look relatively smaller. You could also try the Small knot, but I'm not a big fan of it.

If you are not of small build, your could try Pratt (also called Shelby, which is relatively wider, but works better with shorter ties), Prince Albert (which, once again, is similar to the Four in Hand and tends to be fairly tubular, if I am not mistaken) and of course the Windsor itself.

There are a slew of other knots that people far more knowledgeable than I could perhaps explain.

There is a double windsor. I wore it frequently myself until rececently.

misterjase

Reaction score
i am a convert to the four-in-hand for all approach. sometimes with a dimple, sometimes without a dimple. i find this will be determined by the particular tie.

greyinla

Reaction score
If you are built small, I would recommend going with something something like the Four in Hand or the Half Windsor simply because the knots tend to look relatively smaller.
This is good advice. Unless you are going for a particularly stylized look, smaller knots in general are better for a small frame/face. One thing to keep in mind is that the tie you are wearing might determine the knot; a thinner (or longer) tie might want a 1/2 windsor, while a thicker tie a 4-in-hand.

houserichichi

Reaction score
If you take a Windsor knot and double up all the crossings then I suppose you'd have yourself a double Windsor....but it would be a behemoth and would require an incredibly long tie to get a "proper" length. I myself use what Mao and Fink call the 7,3 that I mistakenly thought was the Hanover and/or Balthus at different points. Truth be told I like a more substantial knot and wear exclusively full-to-overkill spread collars where I both understand and believe that a larger, more full knot is appropriate.

John Ellis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr T
It also depends on the thickness of the tie. I am not comfortable with a windsor in a thick tie like an Ike Behar. I see these overly large knots a lot these days and they make me cringe.

Knot size fashions tend to come and go. On the whole over large knots look better than those tiny ones that were fashionable at one time. Basically the best knots are on the large size, but not gargantuan, and with some sculpturing of the shape which means a 4 in hand which also allows the dimple. The big disadvantage of the windsor to me is it's blandness, it's awfully boring, although I'll concede it works well with a full spread collar but then so does a 4 if the knot is reasonably bulky.

RichmondStyle

Reaction score
Very well done
spam[1].gif
. Other spammers should take note that this is how it's done.

adamsnez

Reaction score
im of small frame and love the pratt. the only thing i find is that it is loose, not in the knot itself, but where the backside (the side of the tie that sits behind) slips through the knots. so sometimes my tie doesnt stay snug around the neck and loosens up a bit. is there a cure for this in the pratt?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads