• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What sunglasses are you wearing?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Still on the subject of matching sunglasses, does anyone else find that brown-colored lenses match poorly with a grey suit while charcoal is the most versatile? I think all the shades posted so far have charcoal lenses, including mine.
Brown... well you know the rest.

arrogant

Reaction score
Cartier has a nice pair that I want, but cannot find anywhere except for the boutique (which is in Toronto... there is no Cartier shop in Montreal).

gardel

Reaction score
...Still on the subject of matching sunglasses, does anyone else find that brown-colored lenses match poorly with a grey suit while charcoal is the most versatile? I think all the shades posted so far have charcoal lenses, including mine.
I find brown sunglasses more versatile than black just as brown shoes are more versatile than black shoes. I'd be wearing brown shoes and belt with that grey suit during the day. This is, of course, a personal preference.

However, I think the primary consideration should be how the sunglasses complement your hair and facial coloring. Brown frames generally look better on me due to my dark brown hair. My coloring is high-contrast so black frames are also acceptable on me but they don't "sing" like the brown ones.

Lenses tend to match the frames. Warm tone lenses with warm tone frames and cool tone lenses with cool tone frames. I'd think about what frames look best on you and then match the lenses to the frames.

arrogant

Reaction score
Are aviators a trend or are they classic design that will never fo out of style?
Well let's see... they were in during the 50s... lots of people wore them in the 60s... all sorts of rock stars wore them in the 70s, 80s and 90s, and even though the guy from Jackass wore them and made them popular with the cultural sheep, aviators are still in now.

As long as they aren't too big (sometimes comical), aviators always work.

Tyto

Reaction score
Ray-Ban Club Masters are my knockabout favorites (and, dare I say, Trad), and I have a pair of Bolle polycarb wrap-arounds for home repairs, sports, etc.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are aviators a trend or are they classic design that will never fo out of style?
I think they are a classic design that will never go out of style. To me, they're kind of similar to a Polo shirt. Sure they are popular right now, but they sure as hell aren't going anywhere. I wear these

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
After I saw Top Gun, I knew I had to get some aviators.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually buy a different pair every spring/summer--not b/c I'm a fashionista, rather, I find creative ways of losing them, sitting on them, or having them go through the wash. When I first got contacts I bought a pair of RL's for around $150, and kept them for 2 years before losing them in a JCrew dressing room... Since then Ive kept my expenditure to less than $40-45ish... Anyways here is my new pair (Prada). This was one of the few NON-AVIATOR models I found--slender wire frames must not be in style. For around $30 at the Sak's outlet I cant complain.
prada16qj.jpg

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
One more note about Oakleys: the A-wires pictured a couple of pages earlier are great for a guy with a smaller/narrower face. Â I've been trying to replace mine for a while; Maui Jim are the only ones that are as good a shape but cost more than twice as much. Â Revo had a decent pair also, with titanium frames, but theirs were a bit too tall. Just lost my pair of field/active Oakleys that had been through a lot with me, but I'll live. Â These are the current replacements. Â Yikes: WileyX Tom

jasonpraxis

Reaction score
A pair of really poorly designed Ray-Bans. I forget the model name, but since I bought them three or four years ago I'm sure you can't find them anymore. Which is good: the plastic ends of the temples have scratched the hell out of the lenses and taught me a very important lesson.
mad.gif
I've been reading this thread with interest and making some notes. Thanks, all.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have a pair of cartiers (platinum and wood frames) very good for suits and formal wear. they also come in gold/wood. unfortunatly they have recently been adopted by the hip hop scene, the good thing is that most of them cant afford them. my friends always tell me im nuts for spending so much on sunglasses but i have never broken a pair yet.

i also have some more sportier cartiers and a number of old versace sunglasses.

you can never have enough sunglasses.

PHV

Reaction score
i have a pair of cartiers (platinum and wood frames) very good for suits and formal wear. they also come in gold/wood. unfortunatly they have recently been adopted by the hip hop scene, the good thing is that most of them cant afford them. my friends always tell me im nuts for spending so much on sunglasses but i have never broken a pair yet.

i also have some more sportier cartiers and a number of old versace sunglasses.

you can never have enough sunglasses.
There's a pair of Cartiers that I really like, it's the first pair on displayed on the website.

The ones you are talking about are the ones with rare wood arms and rimless lenses? Those are beautiful. I think they cost a lot.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(jamesbond @ June 19 2005,17:03) i have a pair of cartiers (platinum and wood frames) very good for suits and formal wear. they also come in gold/wood. unfortunatly they have recently been adopted by the hip hop scene, the good thing is that most of them cant afford them. my friends always tell me im nuts for spending so much on sunglasses but i have never broken a pair yet. i also have some more sportier cartiers and a number of old versace sunglasses[/url]. you can never have enough sunglasses.
There's a pair of Cartiers that I really like, it's the first pair on displayed on the website. The ones you are talking about are the ones with rare wood arms and rimless lenses? Those are beautiful. I think they cost a lot.
yes they are the ones with the rare wood armes and the rest of the frame is made out of platinum. they are medium sized oval lenses. i think they cost around 1500$. well worth it if you ask me. i plan on getting the gold ones as well. they have alot of sportier frames for around 300-500$ made from platinum or gold. these are the cream of the crop when it comes to sporty eyewhere. cartier sunglasses and watches are the best.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads