• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What sunglasses are you wearing?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, by formalwear I meant business formal. Sorry. OK, I revise my statement that plastic is not inherently informal. But it does need to be thin and basically have a faux-wire look. I also revise my blanket statement against the Oakley brand, but only if you guys post pics of your Oakleys. I have a feeling a lot of you guys are sporting the ugly "athletic" shades that are the trademark of the Oakley brand. As promised, here are my Zeiss:
18520263_d6cebe3eb5.jpg
And me wearing them. I'll post a better pic of myself to the "Members Pictures" thread soon.
18520266_fb0ec62267.jpg
edit: moved pics to new host

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
J, I dig your shades a lot.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I disagree again Kent, I think shades like these are perfectly acceptable to wear with a suit and tie.
2577large.jpg
Just as an example because there are many other models that are totally acceptable and even look good.

stache

Reaction score
The worst is when they put the sunglasses on top of their head. To this day I find that to be the look of the quintessential imbecile. At least around here.
Just curious PHV, where are you located?

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own a pair of Oakley A-wires that I rarely wear any more. Â They tend to sit in the car for times when I don't have my other sunglasses. Â I never wore them with suits because I think they are too casual for that. I now have a pair of Maui Jims with polarized prescription lenses. Â They are a wraparound aviator-type wire frame. Â I find most of the Maui Jim frames to be kind of clunky but these were not as bad as some of the others. Â I wear them pretty much every day, regardless of attire.
LQG180-02.JPG
I like the Persol frames, but they are part of the Luxottica Group which now owns or is licensee for Rayban, Revo, and most of the designer names (including the abovementioned Prada), and which has homogenized the lens choices. Â My Maui Jims have factory prescription polarized lenses that I find superior to anything that Luxottica/Lenscrafters has to offer. Oakley has some very nice metal frames in their prescription line that I would almost purchase for everyday (including business) wear, except for the fact that they have the damn O logo on the temples, and rubber earsocks which I find always break down. Â I recognize that the Oakley brand carries certain connotations (the brand for the American Jackass of yesteryear?) but don't really hold that against their products in general--if they didn't advertise that damn "O" I might actually buy some because their titanium frame material is pretty good, and they have factory-made prescription polarized lenses. Oh, and regardless of brand, I recommend not wearing glass lensed sunglasses for sports, especially sports where you might fall or be struck by something.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I own Cutler & Gross, 1940's Ray-Ban aviators in gold-fill, and vintage Jean-Paul Gaultier from the 80's.

Cutler & Gross make a fine acetate in a style reminiscent of the 60's.

brooklyn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PHV,June 09 2005,16:06
Not to be offensive, but I am surprised to see that on a styleforum there are so many people wearing oaklees for anything other than some kind of vigorous physical activity. Nice clothes of any kind (street wear, formal wear, business attire etc...) don't look good with Oakley's in my opinion. When I see Oakleys I think of American Eagle, cargo pants and an aged yankees hat. The worst is when they put the sunglasses on top of their head. To this day I find that to be the look of the quintessential imbecile. At least around here. Oakleys look way too "I wish I was on the moon" to me. That's only my opinion.
There must be 50 different styles of Oakley. Are you referring to all of them in your "blanket" statement?
Since I started this post and a fan of Oakley eyewear I must give my opinion. Â Oakley is a very unique company. Â Either you love their designs or hate them. Â I do agree that some of their designs are out their, Â but they do have many designs that could be worn with a business suit. Â I listed just a few from their website. square wire Why 8.2 Why 8.0Big Square

gardel

Reaction score
When I am dressed conservatively, I wear a pair of Paul Smith tortoiseshell sunglasses. Like someone above mentioned, real tortoiseshell just isn't around anymore so plastic (acetate) is used in its place. Tortoiseshell frames were worn very commonly in the days when nearly every man wore a suit so they are entirely appropriate with businesswear. Just make sure the design is fairly conservative. When I'm more in a streetwear or "hipster" mode, I wear a pair of Infinit sunglasses that I picked up in Buenos Aires. They are in handmade hand-polished acetate.
sunglasses9gf.jpg
I also have a pair of wraparound Smith sunglasses with interchangeable lenses. They are great for riding a bike but look as ugly as sin.

YMark

Reaction score
I also revise my blanket statement against the Oakley brand, but only if you guys post pics of your Oakleys. I have a feeling a lot of you guys are sporting the ugly "athletic" shades that are the trademark of the Oakley brand. As promised, here are my Zeiss:
Zeiss%20Aviators.jpg
Don't care for those at all and are way too big for your face IMO.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I am dressed conservatively, I wear a pair of Paul Smith tortoiseshell sunglasses. Like someone above mentioned, real tortoiseshell just isn't around anymore so plastic (acetate) is used in its place. Tortoiseshell frames were worn very commonly in the days when nearly every man wore a suit so they are entirely appropriate with businesswear. Just make sure the design is fairly conservative. When I'm more in a streetwear or "hipster" mode, I wear a pair of Infinit sunglasses that I picked up in Buenos Aires. They are in handmade hand-polished acetate.
sunglasses9gf.jpg
I also have a pair of wraparound Smith sunglasses with interchangeable lenses. They are great for riding a bike but look as ugly as sin.
I believe there are certain places where one can still purchase tortoise shell frames albeit at a rather high price. However, Cutler & Gross produces frames in buffalo horn.

PHV

Reaction score
(Kent Wang @ June 09 2005,17:35) I also revise my blanket statement against the Oakley brand, but only if you guys post pics of your Oakleys. I have a feeling a lot of you guys are sporting the ugly "athletic" shades that are the trademark of the Oakley brand. As promised, here are my Zeiss:
Zeiss%20Aviators.jpg

Don't care for those at all and are way too big for your face IMO.
I haven't seen too many sunglasses that look good on people with small or very slim faces.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I was going to try to link to my Persols, but I went to their site and it's Flash. But mine are the very first ones that come up in their animation. They look great with a suit, or with just about anything for that matter. I think the 2747 in black with polarized lenses. I don't like to wear them to drive though - they block too much of my side vision.

I also have a great pair of 80s black plastic Ray-Bans with a huge straight-across the top bridge piece. I'll get a picture of them - they're pretty serious. When I bought them I thought of Ric Ocasek, but they're not actually the ones he wore. Maybe Roy Orbison or Ray Charles or something. In any case, they go with my plastic sneakers.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was going to try to link to my Persols, but I went to their site and it's Flash. But mine are the very first ones that come up in their animation. They look great with a suit, or with just about anything for that matter. I think the 2747 in black with polarized lenses. I don't like to wear them to drive though - they block too much of my side vision.

I also have a great pair of 80s black plastic Ray-Bans with a huge straight-across the top bridge piece. I'll get a picture of them - they're pretty serious. When I bought them I thought of Ric Ocasek, but they're not actually the ones he wore. Maybe Roy Orbison or Ray Charles or something. In any case, they go with my plastic sneakers.
Wayfarers perhaps?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics