• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What style would suit me?

Wexner

Reaction score
Here's a selfie I took at the gym to give everyone a idea of my body type. I got Auburn hair and blue eyes. I used to skateboard growing up but now I wanted to see other styles that would suit me but I don't have style to be honest. My day just goes by throwing on what's convient and heading out. So any advice would be helpful. Also yes, i have Peter Parker's face in the picture lmfao

Attachments

• IMG_20220220_190957_261.jpg
    IMG_20220220_190957_261.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 252

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's hard to suggest things like this because a lot depends on your lifestyle, physique, personality, and identity. If someone suggests something that is amendable to a person's identity and lifestyle, it's usually very boring (e.g. "get jeans and a flannel shirt, or chinos and a button-up"). If someone suggests something more interesting, it will often not suit the person's lifestyle or identity (e.g. "get a black double rider, some black jeans, and side zips").

I wrote a post once for a website suggesting a "springboard wardrobe," which is a set of (mostly boring) things that can serve as a starting point for exploration. The idea is to get some things in the beginning that will either allow you to stay at this very basic look (which some guys are fine with) or allow you to explore more interesting aesthetics. You might find the post useful.

These are also two posts on how to develop a casual wardrobe. They explore different, basic aesthetics.

Silano

Reaction score
Here's a selfie I took at the gym to give everyone a idea of my body type. I got Auburn hair and blue eyes. I used to skateboard growing up but now I wanted to see other styles that would suit me but I don't have style to be honest. My day just goes by throwing on what's convient and heading out. So any advice would be helpful. Also yes, i have Peter Parker's face in the picture lmfao
If you don't work in a field where you need to wear a suit everyday for work I think you should start with suits that are functional first, before you get into anything else. Something versatile that you can wear to a Wedding or a Funeral in one suit. Most people probably started with something in Navy but I prefer Charcoal. Something that doesn't have a crazy pattern. My first suit was a Navy Canali with a very subtle herringbone pattern, followed by a solid dark charcoal Isaia that I can wear to any event. As far as your body type, you have broad shoulders & a narrow waist, you appear to have an athletic drop but i cant tell for certain by picture alone. Something with natural shoulders, 2button, thinner lapels to accentuate your broad frame. As far as what suit to buy, there's alot that goes into that. Fit is the most important, so canvass, quality fabric & a great tailor.

rjc149

Reaction score
Depends a lot on your age.

If you're in your 20's, you have a lot of latitude with experimentation. Try a few different looks and styles, and see which one you feel most "you" in. Understand that your tastes will change and evolve as you age and become who you are. I don't think a 20-something man needs tailored sport coats and Allen Edmond oxfords just yet.

Over 30, that's when you can (and should) start implementing more mature, classic pieces into your wardrobe. By this stage in life, you're more comfortable and established in your identity (and your finances), and you can start making higher-end investment purchases to suit that identity.

Some timeless wardrobe suggestions would be a pair or two of slim-fit dark wash jeans, some chinos, some button-down shirts (tucked and untucked length) and some polo shirts. A pair of brown leather shoes -- whether derbies or chukkas -- are also very versatile and ageless.

You may want to consider getting some tailored shirts to fit your arms without billowing around the waist. You're yoked, so I would advise against putting on a gun show with tight, form-fitting clothing everywhere you go. It screams insecurity.

When you go out at night, I suggest slim fitting dark-wash jeans and a dark polo or button-down shirt, and some brown shoes or boots. This is an ageless look, especially on a man who takes care of his body.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about buying suits at this point. I agree with @rjc149 - age matters in how you dress and build your wardrobe.

Regardless of age though, the most important consistent aspect of looking good is proper fit. For denim, you want to find a brand/model that fits your body type - not baggy - for your body type, something slim but NOT skinny - you want jeans that fit good in the but/hips without being baggy. Get a proper length or find a tailor to get them hemmed.

Next is finding chinos - navy, taupe/british khaki are going to be very versatile. Again, fit is important - you don't want too long or too short.

Tops have a lot more options. In your 20s/30s quality solid color tees look good - they should fit, not be baggy.

Button down shirts: Here, you want to make sure they fit well and aren't baggy - so, given your body type, look for a slim cut - standard in U.S. is baggy.

Shoes/belt: For casual wear, a great first pair of shoes is a plain toe blucher - in dark or medium brown leather. For every pair of shoes, you want a belt that is close in shade to the shoes - it doesn't have to match exactly but you should not wear black belt with brown shoes. Brand of shoes depends on your budget.

Start out gradual - find brands that fit you and you like how they wear/feel then buy another from that brand if you like it. Don't go hog wild buying a whole bunch at once: you may not like the brand/style/fit.

Once you have a couple pairs of jeans/chinos/shoes then start building outfits: buying shirts that coordinate with the pants. You will want to get a 2nd pair of shoes fairly quickly - it's not great to wear the same shoes day after day - leather isn't like a mesh running shoe - they don't breath as well. So, giving a pair of shoes a day's rest to dry out between wears will help prevent odor.

My advice is t

Wexner

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about buying suits at this point. I agree with @rjc149 - age matters in how you dress and build your wardrobe.

Regardless of age though, the most important consistent aspect of looking good is proper fit. For denim, you want to find a brand/model that fits your body type - not baggy - for your body type, something slim but NOT skinny - you want jeans that fit good in the but/hips without being baggy. Get a proper length or find a tailor to get them hemmed.

Next is finding chinos - navy, taupe/british khaki are going to be very versatile. Again, fit is important - you don't want too long or too short.

Tops have a lot more options. In your 20s/30s quality solid color tees look good - they should fit, not be baggy.

Button down shirts: Here, you want to make sure they fit well and aren't baggy - so, given your body type, look for a slim cut - standard in U.S. is baggy.

Shoes/belt: For casual wear, a great first pair of shoes is a plain toe blucher - in dark or medium brown leather. For every pair of shoes, you want a belt that is close in shade to the shoes - it doesn't have to match exactly but you should not wear black belt with brown shoes. Brand of shoes depends on your budget.

Start out gradual - find brands that fit you and you like how they wear/feel then buy another from that brand if you like it. Don't go hog wild buying a whole bunch at once: you may not like the brand/style/fit.

Once you have a couple pairs of jeans/chinos/shoes then start building outfits: buying shirts that coordinate with the pants. You will want to get a 2nd pair of shoes fairly quickly - it's not great to wear the same shoes day after day - leather isn't like a mesh running shoe - they don't breath as well. So, giving a pair of shoes a day's rest to dry out between wears will help prevent odor.

My advice is t

Thank you for the feedback! I tend not to be flashy. I like more subtle and clean look if that makes sense. As for pants I found out lately that Levi's are a good fit for me. I noticed when it comes to chinos volcom is a good fit to me but I'm open to suggestions on other brands that may work for me. As for shoes any brands you can reccomnd? Only brands I know are the typical sports brands. Adidas, Nike etc.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For shoes, it depends on your budget. Once you start getting shoes not made in the Orient, prices go up sharply. The least expensive made in America that I'm familiar with is Rancourt & Company. I would only say, after owning a couple pairs that their soles wear out far quicker than any other brand I own. So after paying $150 to re-sole suddenly they're not much of a bargain. Next up the ladder, Allen Edmonds. White's Boots also makes some quality casual boots but also some shoes. Then you move up to Alden. Trickers, Crocket & Jones are 2 quality British brands. There are dozens of other manufacturers, but some are a little tricky on fit and others I just don't have personal experience with.
Here's a shoe from White's:
Another great all-purpose option is a Chukka boot.

Leiker

Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback! I tend not to be flashy. I like more subtle and clean look if that makes sense. As for pants I found out lately that Levi's are a good fit for me. I noticed when it comes to chinos volcom is a good fit to me but I'm open to suggestions on other brands that may work for me. As for shoes any brands you can reccomnd? Only brands I know are the typical sports brands. Adidas, Nike etc.
Check out Grant Stone for shoes and boots.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The apparent youth and muscularity point away from a few styles. Skater history suggests a casual direction and not making a major change that might be off-putting to acquaintances. Beyond that, there is very little to go on (climate is another missing element) and the tips given over the past few days are almost the maximum. Fabric variety - for example, having more than pure wool and pure cotton items - is the new entry.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads