• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is a good reason to NOT max out a 401k?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Two thoughts about things:

1) Higher taxes when we're in retirement. I think, Republicans aside, taxes in the US are headed up in the long term. I hope it won't hit income tax too much, and will be centered in a VAT, but it seems neither side of the aisle dislike the VAT and the likely result will be higher income taxes over the next 20-40 years.

2) Future changes to tax law removing/mitigating current tax advantages. First one I could see is the Roth getting made taxable. There is going to be a need to raise ever more tax revenues and hitting retirement funds might be too tempting for D.C. not to impinge on.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

2) Future changes to tax law removing/mitigating current tax advantages. First one I could see is the Roth getting made taxable. There is going to be a need to raise ever more tax revenues and hitting retirement funds might be too tempting for D.C. not to impinge on.

Ive always considered these to be pretty much untouchable. If there is anything that could start a tax rebellion in the US, it's hitting the old folks' retirement funds.

Means-testing the "1 percenters," I guess I could see that though. Something like a special rate for people with over $5 million in funds or something.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Ive always considered these to be pretty much untouchable. If there is anything that could start a tax rebellion in the US, it's hitting the old folks' retirement funds.

Means-testing the "1 percenters," I guess I could see that though. Something like a special rate for people with over $5 million in funds or something.

Here's the thing...all the talk is about the 1%, but when you listen to people like Obama, Pelosi, et al, it gets dragged down to families at 250k. Wondering off topic but I bet means testing for Medicare, phasing out SS payments, etc. kick in at some point too.

Troll2

Reaction score
After giving my own OP some moar thought, another point is that it really depends on your asset allocation. If you want to invest heavily in bonds, the 401K is definitely the place to do it as you will not be paying income tax on your interest. Similarly, tax-free munis should be allocated to the taxable account.

asdf

Reaction score
Yeah, there is a similar allocation/location concern with regards to foreign assets subject to withholding taxes, at least in Canada.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mind you there are a lot of fees assciated with 401k plans that really kill the return. Doesn't stop me frm contributing, but they rarely calculate that into your return. I use mine mostly for corp. bond funds.

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm with asdf on this, my Roth IRA is maxed out, haven't really had 401k yet so depending on what my options are I would probably contribute if there was a good amount of matching

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mind you there are a lot of fees assciated with 401k plans that really kill the return. Doesn't stop me frm contributing, but they rarely calculate that into your return. I use mine mostly for corp. bond funds.

Agreed. I put most of mine in money market funds and when I leave the employer, roll over into a Roth and invest in stocks I want. That way, I get the benefits of company match and not have to pay high 401K management fees.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just looked at my YTD return today for my 401k, it shows 3.7%. However after you deduct the fees it is about 1.07%. The funds I've selected don't charge more then 1%. Great investment right?

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wouldn't invest in money market funds.. the returns on those are ridiculous.. they're like 1 BP.. laughable.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just looked at my YTD return today for my 401k, it shows 3.7%. However after you deduct the fees it is about 1.07%. The funds I've selected don't charge more then 1%. Great investment right?

If you're investing into corporate fixed income, surely it'd return higher than a savings account?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, not sure I get this.

Where are you finding these fees? Are these in addition to the fees paid on the funds?
I spent some time looking through mine and I am finding nothing like this (but maybe you have a nasty 401k administrator)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads