• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is a fair price range for a Custom Dress Shirt?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When does it become excessive?

What's a fair price for a standard dress shirt?

And a fair price range for one of the highest fabric quality?

----------------------

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would say that it depends on the number of hours that go into the shirt, the raw materials etc.

Perhaps for a shirt that takes a lot of time to make from DJA 130gm linen, 450 is a total bargain, while for the same price a quickly made oxford cloth from Acorn is a rip-off.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Don't forget labor and overhead costs. They do vary from country to country and city to city. It's unreasonable to expect the same quality shirt to command the same price in London as it does in Southeast Asia.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the answer would depend on the person.
When i am making enough money hopefully as soon as possible I would be willing to spend 1000+ euros for a shirt assuming the price of the shirtmaker i am considering do not increase. this would answer your second question.
to purchase a reasonable shirt from a mid levle maker and using acceptable Fabric
maximum 80 usd. it must bbe said i currently reside in a country in which prices are very reasonable compared to europe

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
where do you even find a shirtmaker who charges 1000 EUR?

There has to be an extra zero in there
crazy.gif

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In rome his base model costs 500 euros, last time i was informed, and havinng spoken to people that have used his services using the highest quality fabric a shirt would run about 1000 euros

I am sure Kabbaz is the same way u could spend at least 1250 usd on shirt using him.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
When does it become excessive?

What's a fair price for a standard dress shirt?

And a fair price range for one of the highest fabric quality?

----------------------

It becomes excessive when the money you spend interferes with your quality of life. There is no one answer, markets have a way of correcting themselves that eludes the written word. Some, irrespective of the quality, want to spend no more than 30 dollars for a shirt and others, again irrespective of the quality, want to spend 1000 dollars. The former might not be able to live with spending more and the latter might have a need to feel exclusive.

I have a friend who thinks that anyone who spends over 30 bucks for a shirt is completely mad. I have another friend who ordered 12 suits for my tailor, paid for them and never picked them up.

One needs to determine a variety of factors to arrive at a final decision. A good starting point for an American would be to see what the rtw shirt prices are and the respective qualities to gauge what the market will yield and then figure out where they fall within the lattice both economicaly and in terms of personal utility.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting poll.

Will Kabbaz or Matuozzo make a shirt with payment consisting of a small Asian child?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Interesting poll.

Will Kabbaz or Matuozzo make a shirt with payment consisting of a small Asian child?

I suppose so. The skilled workforce is dwindling and small children of any color are trainable. The nice thing is that you get almost exactly double the number of Matuozzo shirts for the same small child. More than that if you go into the expensive fabrics.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I suppose so. The skilled workforce is dwindling and small children of any color are trainable. The nice thing is that you get almost exactly double the number of Matuozzo shirts for the same small child. More than that if you go into the expensive fabrics.

I missed that part of the poll. That's a little inappropriate.

On a different note and with regard to new skilled workers, what ever happened to the guy who wanted to become a new shirtmaker, Matthew was it? Is he making shirts?

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View Poll Results: Fair price range for custom dress shirt?
$100-199 3 25.00%
$200-299 4 33.33%
$300-$399 2 16.67%
$400-599 0 0%
Small asian child 3 25.00

Soph designed the poll questions, not I. Small asian children are sometimes discounted. Kabbaz and Matuozzo shirts are not
laugh.gif

BTW: I agree with Matt, that to answer the question you need to know the variables. There are different grades of custom dress shirts. Anna Matuozzo and Ricky Jantzen both have very happy customers.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Doesn't this translate as the price of a healthy kidney?

laugh.gif

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All locale-specific factors aside, I just voted what I pay on average. By definition, I suppose that's a fair price for me.

--Andre

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads