• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you wear to a nice dinner??

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dude it wouldnt hurt to swing by nordstrom rack in towson town center or the discount stores in arundel mills to check some blazers out.

if this is the first nice dinner you are going to with your GF, i agree with reborn and think you should go with a blazer.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Watch out, "Margaret" may be on to something! Seriously, here's a couple potential don'ts: Button-down collers--guys like 'em, fashion conscious women have told me they don't. Also technically, according to "the rules" they are too sporty and informal for an evening dinner. A point collar is best IMO. Black Shirts--not the most versatile type of shirt--not good for business, usually. Dark blue would be better if you want something striking and dark.
Originally Posted by philosophe
If you feel like buying something new, how about a well fitting and crisp white shirt for the summer? You'll look great at dinner and get lots of use out of the shirt.
Actually, a plain white point-collar dress shirt is your safest bet. How wild do you want to be?

apwrxmd

Reaction score
I live in PG so driving up to towson is out of the question. Also my grandfather is in the hospital so I don't want to be too far from home unless I have too IE GF's birthday dinner.

I don't know what you mean by point and button down collars, I don't wear these type of shirts too often so I'm not familar with the terms.

EDIT:

After some help from Google I figured out the difference, Point collars are definitely a better choice. I think I might just go with a nice white shirt from BR or somewhere else I can find a slim-fit shirt. Only reservation I had about white is that whenever I eat out I always get some type of stain on my shirt so no sure if white is a great idea...

tlmusic

Reaction score
Button-down collar
250px-Collar.agr.jpg

Spread collar
127Q.jpg

Point collar
williamdb0jd.jpg

apwrxmd

Reaction score
LOL thanks for the visual.

one more question, if a shirt is fitted does that mean it's slimmer?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, typically.

Don't overthink this too much. You just need a shirt. What color pants? Very pale blues, ivory, etc, often work well, even with a subtle pattern, perhaps, like a herringbone, maybe.

Things that are 'popular' now but you should stay away from would be: dark shirts in 'jewel tones' -- deep burgundys, blues, blacks; (by deep I mean so saturated the colors look unnatural); shirts that seem really shiney; shirts with loud stripes; polyester.

~ Huntsman

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok for $100 you can get a decent shirt, probably for around 50-60 at either JCrew or the Rack and then get it tailored to fit better and then probably some cash left over for dessert.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rajesh06
Just my opinion - but "jeans" and "nice dinner" don't go together.

I did comment that if there was a dress code he should obviously conform to it. Otherwise to me, no underwear and a cape + nice dinner sounds fine too. In other words, while I respect his wish to dress up I'm not prescriptive about what it means.

To the original poster: Don't get a blazer, an article of clothing that you obviously don't even wear at this point in your life, just for this dinner. If you want to get something follow your initial intention and seek out a nice, crisp dress shirt.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go to JCrew or Banana and buy a slim fit dress shirt. If sleeves aren't the right length, take the shirt to a tailor.

White will be good. A small pattern or stripes in blue, lavender, or pink will also be nice. Most men seem to forget that women like pink and lavender.

Be sure to wear nice socks and a belt that matches your shoes. Don't forget to shine your shoes. This will make any outfit look 10x better.

Have fun!

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should be able to get a nice, inexpensive shirt at Filene's (blazer as well).

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apwrxmd
In case you missed it I'm 20 and that wedding ring is the last thing on my mind...

I was kidding. But did you really think I was talking about what was on your mind? After 2 years, I'd be very surprised if she hasn't been thinking about it.

apwrxmd

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, I'm goin today to see what I can find.

I'll check out those stores listed and post pics of what I ended up getting.

Appreciate all the help guys.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
more confused then when you started?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you guys are going over the top as usual (Thats why i like this board though).

in this situation, with a guy who is usually a t-shirt and jeans guy, a dress shirt and jeans along with nice dress shoes is probably about as dressy as he needs to be for the occasion.

not to say you shouldnt start dressing better, but it takes a little while to make the complete transition.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
more confused then when you started?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you guys are going over the top as usual (Thats why i like this board though).

in this situation, with a guy who is usually a t-shirt and jeans guy, a dress shirt and jeans along with nice dress shoes is probably about as dressy as he needs to be for the occasion.

not to say you shouldnt start dressing better, but it takes a little while to make the complete transition.

Why would he make a transition though? Does he has to start wearing suits too? If his interest in clothes grows he'll find out what he likes and it might be leather jackets and motorcycle boots for all I know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads